Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion Quest 2 - New Project Setup Recommendations

Discussion in 'VR' started by turp182, Dec 3, 2022.

1. turp182

turp182

I'm setting up a brand new Quest 2 project in Unity. Been a while since I've done that, my test bed is stable and "known" to me, and it is composed of:
    - Unity 2020.3.27f1
    - URP PWS UP 8.2.0
    - XR Plugin Management 4.2.1
    - Oculus XR Plugin 1.11.2
    - Universal RP 10.8.1

I'll be using skeleton/bone level tracking and passthrough.

For a green-field project, what would you recommend? What have you had success with?

Should I target SpaceWarp? Is this a decent guide (12/2021)?
    https://skarredghost.com/2021/12/12/application-spacewarp-unity-how-to-review/

Anyone using "light" post processing with success (I have never tried this, we all want bloom...)?

Lively discussion appreciated.

2. DevDunk

DevDunk

I have a guide with demo projects for SpaceWarp attached:

It also has a 2021 branch for those projects.

I personally suggest not using SpaceWarp if not needed. Unless you want very high graphics in a bigger area you should be able to optimize it properly without SpaceWarp. I only use it as backup or when I have a very ambitious project (open world horror right now).
    SpaceWarp can increase motion sickness and visual artifacts, especially when at 72Hz (Personally don't notice it much with 90Hz in slow pace games, do in fast pase ones).

Your setup seems fine (haven't seen that URP branch). Maybe later unity 2020 versions have slight optimizations but nothing major. Unity 2021.3.14+ also now has good enough performance on the quest if you like the features it has.

On the asset store there are some VR compatible fast/mobile bloom assets. Haven't benchmarked them against URP bloom, but URP bloom is slow

3. turp182

turp182

Thanks for the feedback, I'm just going to go with current version of everything, without SpaceWarp. I can backtrack versions if needed (I'll have everything in one place as part of this effort, that's most of the battle...).

Thanks.

DevDunk likes this.