Search Unity

Quality assurance for Addressables might need attention

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by newatlanta19006, Oct 22, 2020.

1. newatlanta19006

newatlanta19006

Hi Addressables Devs,

I wasn't sure about the best way to approach this topic so I landed on the forums.

Let me start off by saying I am long-time Unity developer (professional enterprise and personal). I love the idea Addressables and the overall API makes a lot of sense. I use it in a live product and for the most part it works well and as advertised.

However, I feel like each update is a one-step forward, 2-steps backward where something very significant breaks each update. It feels like perhaps there aren't enough QA resources dedicated to this team? It is very disruptive to wait for a fix for a previous issue, only to find 2 new issues that may prevent updating or require huge workarounds. I dont feel like I have experienced this with other Unity packages.

I am NOT trying to be negative or open the floodgates for criticism. Overall, I am a huge Addressables fan and the team members I have interacted with are always helpful and knowledgeable. I just wanted to bring up the topic in hopes of improving future updates.

Thank you Unity devs!

2. jasonboukheir

jasonboukheir

My team is also having issues with Addressables, even for the "verified" versions. We've blessed a specific version of addressables (1.13.1) and have an unspoken rule never to update past it.

I'd rather feel confident in upgrading the Addressables package than have any new features at the moment.

3. TreyK-47

TreyK-47

Unity Technologies

Excellent feedback! I forwarded this to the team, and they wanted me to pass along their thanks, and to let you know we're working hard to increase stability. We're actually working on getting 1.16.10 verified. The aim for the 1.16.7+ releases are for much more stability.

jasonboukheir likes this.