Search Unity

Quad core 4 GHz or Six core ~3.6 GHz for faster editor script compile and light map bake for Unity?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by S_P, Jul 16, 2016.

1. S_P

S_P

Are these single or multi core/thread intense task? Confusing result from some experiments. Hope engineers help.

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Well single core perf will win out for script compilation but multi core perf will win out for baking. It's both narrow and wide... and don't forget the SSD.

Martin_H, Ryiah and S_P like this.
  3. neginfinity

neginfinity

Lightmap baking utililizes all available cores. Unfortunately, it can only utilize CPU, not GPU.

gian-reto-alig, Ryiah and S_P like this.
  4. KnightsHouseGames

KnightsHouseGames

This is a question I would like to know more about as well, because I want to build a Broadwell-E workstation, but those processors cost as much as my car right now, so I was thinking about building a cheap-ish Skylake system to hold me over for a while, but I'm not sure if it would be worth it or if I should just save my money until I can afford the more expensive workstation grade stuff.

S_P likes this.
  5. S_P

S_P

any extra help from multi processor like server? for load example, hundreds of scripts(~258 editor and runtime) and several square km of terrain bake. @neginfinity too.

6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Honestly, just get a normal high end gaming rig with SSD. That means an i7 with 4 cores. If you can get 6 cores, then get 6 cores. And so on.

Don't go hunting xeons. they won't help you vs the cost much, the cache is unlikely to be properly utilised. Instead wait to see if Unity will let you bake over network and things like that then you can chain a few together and get some fast bakes done. See roadmap for anything extra...

Scripting compilation is dramatically improved by moving what scripts won't change much to Plugins folder.

Just my opinion having tested Unity on a wide array of hardware.

gian-reto-alig, Martin_H, S_P and 2 others like this.
  7. S_P

S_P

Plugin folder supposed to have dll only. Will work moving C# as well?

8. KnightsHouseGames

KnightsHouseGames

Yeah, Xeons aren't worth it for sure, I was just thinking a high end i7. My friend has a 5930k and a 980ti Hybrid in her workstation and it's a beast.

This also brings me to another thought in this process. Would I be able to get by on Intel Internal Graphics until I could afford a proper graphics card?

9. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Nowhere does it say plugin folder is supposed to have dll only. Do a search and you'll see why it works for optimising C# scripts. Stop making grand assumptions.

Martin_H and S_P like this.
  10. Ryiah

Ryiah

What about memory recommendations? Or are we just assuming "the most you can get for a reasonable price"?

S_P likes this.
  11. neginfinity

neginfinity

As much as you can. Depending on scene size memory usage while baking can easily go over 20 gigabytes. It is recommended to test actual memory usage before buying more RAM, though.

Ryiah likes this.
  12. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

MAX ALL

etc etc

13. KnightsHouseGames

KnightsHouseGames

And these days, it seems like big amounts of ram are reletively cheap. That part of a build seems like the easiest, just buy as much ram as the Motherboard says it can hold, ha ha

By the way, I've never built a computer from scratch for myself before, so this will be my first time

S_P likes this.
  14. Ryiah

Ryiah

You're not kidding. I was shocked when I discovered that a 16GB stick of DDR4 was only about $50 USD.

Just in case you haven't seen it already...

http://pcpartpicker.com/

S_P likes this.
  15. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Building PCs is a trivial affair, has been since forever, you're really just putting lego parts together.

JamesArndt, Martin_H and S_P like this.
  16. KnightsHouseGames

KnightsHouseGames

Yeah, the fact that like, 128gb packs of Ram are available on the consumer market right now (albeit totally impractical and mostly just for overcompensators right now) just blows my mind, considering how many people run just fine on like, 8GB

Oh yeah, pcpartpicker rocks. I've helped other people build computers before, I've just never done one for myself before. One of those "mechanic drives a beater" scenarios.

I've done a ton of research, I just find that advice on game design spesific computers (like for Unity) is sparse, and some of it questionable at best.

S_P likes this.
  17. KnightsHouseGames

KnightsHouseGames

Yeah, I used to be intimidated by the process until I helped my friend build her crazy PC.

All I'm worried about is making the right decisions to get the most bang for my buck in terms of using it for development, since I can't really afford to make any mistakes. I'm wondering if it's worth it to try to build something cheap now or if I should wait until I can afford to build some behemoth like my friend did

S_P likes this.
  18. Ryiah

Ryiah

Some stages of the development, with Intel's LGA processors being a prime example, can be nerve wracking.

Just keep in mind that even if those larger kits are on the consumer market they aren't actually intended for the average consumer. Intel's current generation of desktop processors cannot go beyond 64GB. Someone buying a kit bigger than that is buying server hardware for very specific needs and is almost never overcompensating.

By the way there is a very good chance that 8GB will simply be too restrictive soon. I'm already starting to notice games appearing that require it but recommend more and my bet is that the next generation of consoles will have at least 16GB.

S_P likes this.
  19. KnightsHouseGames

KnightsHouseGames

Yeah, I guess, though when you see like the ones with the RGB on them that are being marketed as like Gamer stuff, I feel like thats the stuff thats for people who want to show off

Yeah, no doubt, technology marches on. I mean, when I bought the laptop I'm on now, 2GB was what the average consumer machine was running, and 8GB was super baller level, and now 8 is what 2 used to be. And like, 2GB of VRam was absolutely bonkers, and now this generation of graphics cards has as much VRam as I do regular ram, ha ha

Thats sorta why I'm thinking about upgrading

S_P likes this.
  20. S_P

S_P

aha. did a quick test. seems better but not satisfactory. my current pc is lower-mid range [fx6300,8gb1600,r7-250-1gbD5,SSD,win7-64]. Damn AMD!!! what it does with all those "cores"!!!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
  21. S_P

S_P

new LGA(1151/2011-v3) processors are bad at some point you mean?

22. Ryiah

Ryiah

I'm always nervous that I'll accidentally bend the pins on the motherboard. It's my least favorite step.

23. 00christian00

00christian00

Is this still valid in recent version of Unity? I tried to move some lengthy scripts some months ago and noticed no difference.
    Also why isn't the default behaviour for all scripts? What's the drawback of putting script there?

S_P likes this.
  24. zugsoft

zugsoft

Sincerely, I have a i5 on a Dell computer, and 2xXeon 6cores on my second computer, and the difference is not so big everyday, I will create a simple project with only Cube and everybody could compare the time to bake

S_P likes this.
  25. Arowx

Arowx

If you can hold off for Eight and 16 core Zen CPU's, they should start appearing around the end of this year beginning of next. Even if you don't intend to buy an AMD Zen they should bring down the price of intels CPU's.

Look at the impact of the RX 480 GPU, on Nvidia's offerings and the price of high/mid end GPU's.

S_P likes this.
  26. Player7

Player7

X58 + x5670 ... ebay etc, has been a bargain for some getting them, especially if overclock..I wouldn't bother if you weren't. Ofc that was a year or more now and I think most caught on to the bargain that could be had on them, they don't go as cheap as they used to now. . but hey it beats buying some new intel S***lake cpu.

Games are more about gpu now then cpu, it still makes for a good workstation cpu if you got much multithreading tasks for it, comparison on how it holds up...
    http://s32.postimg.org/4ctfsogyd/bechmarks_x5650_vs_6700k_photo_v2.jpg

Or just wait and see if amd bring anything that might push intel into making 6core the new 4core for consumer wallet friendly, or they just carry on bundling built in gpu's that no one gives a S*** for when most gamer desktop users get a dedicated gpu anyway.

27. KnightsHouseGames

KnightsHouseGames

This is still a question I'm wondering. Good graphics cards aren't cheap, and considering that my monitor is an old 720p Dell, I'm wondering if I would need a dedicated GPU for Unity, or if I could hold off until I could afford it, or even had a need for it, like if I got better monitors

28. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Well if you edit a script in plugins folder it will recompile all scripts, making the process redundant. You want to keep finished stuff in there or stuff you won't change much, y'know like plugins... :D

It's the perfect place for asset store stuff which makes me rage and make "amateur hour" comments about any asset store dev that doesn't by default use that folder. Partel Lang does and he's smart and has my 5 star review and recommendations.

Yeah.

29. elbows

elbows

Early claims about the RX480 made it sound like the market may be shaken, but it seems they picked stuff to benchmark that would show the AMD as better than it is in many situations (eg async compute DX12 stuff).In other situations the AMD is nothing special and the GTX1060 can compete with it. Also the prices of higher-end nvidia stuff remain high, so I really dont think AMD made a difference, at least not yet.

When it comes to CPU's, the performance of the new AMD chips will determine whether Intel feel the need to change their pricing to compete, and I certainly dont assume this will happen for sure. If its anything like the last years then Intel can afford to ignore whatever AMD are doing price-wise.

30. Ryiah

Ryiah

Isn't this normal practice for companies? At least I've always assumed it was.

31. KnightsHouseGames

KnightsHouseGames

32. Ryiah

Ryiah

I recommend grabbing an 850 EVO SSD over a 950 PRO SSD. The 950 PRO is much faster but you're getting half the capacity and at that size you'd be far better off with more capacity. The write endurance for the 950 PRO is much higher but at the same time you only have limited space in your case so you can't just shove more drives in it if you need the space.

33. Socrates

Socrates

I am a firm believer in having a stronger power supply than that. Take a look at the requirements of some of the high-end graphics cards, remembering to consider things like if you might put in a second graphics card to link and that you are running more than the graphics card.

I haven't bought less than 750w for a gaming PC for years.

Some people will argue it's overkill. I find it makes the system run smoother.

34. Socrates

Socrates

This is the machine I put together last June. I won't claim it's perfect for Unity, but I have no problems with any of the games I run and I've not run into any issues with my hobby time in Unity.

Note that some of this tech is already outdated since it's a year ago... :)

Gigabyte GA-Z97X-GAMING 5
    Intel Core BX80646I74790K i7-4790K Processor
    16 GB RAM (two 8GB chips total)
    Noctua NH-D15 Premium CPU Cooler
    EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 80+ GOLD, 750W
    Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD
    ASUS STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5 Graphics Card

35. KnightsHouseGames

KnightsHouseGames

But does the EVO use PCIE 4.0? I thought that was just Sata III, which at that point I might as well go for the regular 2.5 inch model

That being said, I've been playing iwth the idea of buying a 2.5 inch 850 Evo of the same size to use for some stuff, while keeping the OS only on the PCI E drive, then use the WD drive for my files. I could fit up to 2 additional sata SSDs in this system if I wanted to.

Well, first off, did you notice that this is a Mini ITX build, so I can only have 1 graphics card?

And that this build doesn't even have a graphics card?

36. Socrates

Socrates

I missed the mini, yes. Though even for a one graphics card build, I still would go 750w, but that's my personal advice; your mileage may vary.

However, I assumed that you would be buying a graphics card at a later date when you have more money. Perhaps incorrectly, I figured that even if you weren't playing games on the machine itself for fun, you would be testing your Unity games on it so you would need a graphics card at some point.

I'm probably biased. Even my secondary machine has a decent (for five years ago) graphics card in it, partly because it makes watching movies or video tutorials a lot smoother.

37. Ryiah

Ryiah

The 850 EVO has a maximum speed of about 550MB/sec regardless of which connector you use so there is that.

Sounds good. I wasn't positive how much room that case had and I was feeling too lazy to look it up. :p

On the topic of graphics cards the GTX 1060 is due out soonish and the 1050 is due out in December. Regardless of whether you want an actual card immediately I'd wait to see how they perform and the response from AMD.

KnightsHouseGames likes this.
  38. KnightsHouseGames

KnightsHouseGames

Well, my idea with this is just to use this whole machine until I can afford a better one.

My goal is to get another high end laptop, and have an M-ATX Broadwell-e based desktop at home, so I can work out and about, but have something more powerful at home that I could one day do 3D modeling and such on.

But I don't know how long it's gonna be until I can afford something like that, so I'm thinking of doing this to hold me over until I can afford the stuff I really want.

I'm hoping if I can make some money with some games I make with it, it might pay for itself.

One of my concerns is I can't really afford the kind of graphics card I would really want, like even the 1060 is out of my current price range, so I wanted to know if it would even be worth doing this with Intel graphics if it'll be a while before I can afford a graphics card.

A factor I'm wondering about is the fact that the monitor I would plan on using with it is only 720p, would that matter?

39. Ryiah

Ryiah

If you added a good graphics card to that list you'd basically skip straight to the better one. :p

40. KnightsHouseGames

KnightsHouseGames

Oh man, that wouldn't even be close to what I really want to do

I wanna do a watercooled X99 M-ATX build someday. I just kinda love cube cases for some reason, and want to do a crazy watercooled rig in one. I just think that would be awesome