Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

{Q} Unity Game Server + MYSQL

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by goldcomii, Jan 11, 2013.

1. goldcomii

goldcomii

Hello
    Im Newser In Unity , I Will Start An Open World Online Game . I Have Qoestion About it
    How Can I Make Online Game With Server Version And Mysql SQL Database In Server ?

im PHP Programmer
    I need make a register Page , Players Make Account And Login To Game on Windows ... ( Like Wow And ETC ... )
    Any Body Can help me ? resource and ,,,,

2. runner

runner

http://wiki.unity3d.com/index.php?title=Server_Side_Highscores

Here is just one example to get you started ;)

3. goldcomii

goldcomii

here i see add query with php
    is php secure way?
    world of warcraft using php to?:D

4. Ashkan_gc

Ashkan_gc

Creating a MMO in scale of world of warcraft is much more than some PHP pages. They might use/don't use it for account systems but in game communications of the players to see each other and interact together is a complex server side program which you can try to write using unity's built-in networking system as prototype and later on try a more professional backend system for multiplayer in unity.

5. goldcomii

goldcomii

why in unity forums have not any examples for online games?
    im starting make online game And now i need choose engine , is unity support online mmo games ? like wow ?
    i need know it !
    if can suport , i need example or source for learn it !

6. Ashkan_gc

Ashkan_gc

Well unity can be a client for a MMO like WOW and can be used on the server as games like family guy online, shadowgun deadzone and others proved it.
    There are networking examples in unity asset store if you search for multiplayer and www.muchdifferent.com has it's own games and examples using their unity park suite. smartfoxserver and electrotank and photon of www.exitgames.com and others have their own examples but they are not MMO, they are samples of what's possible.
    the only big MMO which is open source is ryzom and it's in C++ and not unity. they are using their own engine.
    To learn the stuff you should first learn unity and create some smaller, single player games and then go to multiplayer with something small like a 16 player shooter or ... and then go toward MMOs.

They are one of the hardest kind of game to write.
    As jessie schell said in his "the art of game design a book of lenses", creating a multiplayer games takes about 4 times as it's single player version. For an MMO you can easily tell that it's 8 times or so

7. Meltdown

Meltdown

goldcomii, you should make about 3 or 4 small games, like pong and other simple games, and with some multiplayer before you make a large online game.

8. CitrusDev

CitrusDev

but the question is good ..
    a unity - game is the client, sure but what kind has to be the server for real time communication ?
    ( i dont mean php .. )
    are there some c/c++ / java server examples ?
    ( .. unity uses rpc, this means the server should also use rpc .. well ..than java would be my fav server engine .. )

9. Bariel

Bariel

@Citrus - that's an entirely different question than the poster has asked specifically about database access not about client/server communication.

For server side of things you can look at smartfox for examples of java server for unity, Photon for C# servers external to Unity and uLink for C# servers built inside Unity they all provide examples for how to work with unity and networking.

10. CitrusDev

CitrusDev

well may be i misunderstood the starting question but a wow back end wont be php ;) as already mentioned
    anyway thanks for the hint bariel

11. Ashkan_gc

Ashkan_gc

Electrotank is also java based other than smartfox and i've heared about oracle's open source MMO backend being used for unity. I really don't remember it's name.

12. JamesPro

JamesPro

If you want a Seamless World and your just starting out I would highly reconsider even using Unity3D. When it comes to setting up a seamless world Server side your going to run into huge issues. In this case I would highly recommend looking into HeroCloud. However if you don't mind a zone based game with Loading screens between zones then Unity3D + uLink is a GREAT very powerful solution.

13. Ashkan_gc

Ashkan_gc

James, UnityPark "hard to access" uPikko can do the job but two things
    1- A beginner would not be able to make that happen with any tools
    2- hero engine is a good middleware but the sturcture is damn complex with lots of class hierarchies for ready stuff and a beginner can not easily use it. Even they themselves say that their docs are huge (and it's natural because the product is huge) so one i think should at least read about 2 weeks or even a month before really understanding anything there. However the system is so powerfull.

14. JamesPro

JamesPro

Yes NO part of making WoW style MMOs is really for beginners. I am a firm believer that if you really want something bad enough and are willing to stick with it and learn what you need to then you can accomplish your end goals at some point. uPikko is a great piece of tech however it's still in development and requires a Revenue Share. While Hero also requires a Revenue Share it's well worth it for what you get in return (Speedtree, Facegen, and a bunch of other top Middleware). Speedtree alone is a $10,000 license which you get for free with HeroCloud. I am the Lead Programmer for a MMO that started out using Unity3D with uLink. We were banking on uPikko but when we found out about the fact that it was still in development and required a Revenue Share we decided it wasn't worth it. I spent some time investigating other options for Seamless Worlds and decided in the end that was going to take longer then we had to try and develop our own solution. That combined with some other issues we had with Unity led us to switching to Hero. With Hero we have no problems what so ever setting up our Seamless World and we are still able to use our Model Assets that we had while using Unity.