Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Q: Full screen issue on external touch monitor/TV?

Discussion in 'Web' started by Deleted User, May 19, 2018.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi all,

I'm running (or better... the client) into a weird problem.
    We build a product presentation that works great on Android tablets as .apk.

The WebGL build also runs fine on desktop, Windows and/or OSX on multiple browsers (FF, Chrome and Safari) without any glitches.
    The WebGL build even runs on the mobile Chrome browser, despite the 'not for mobile' error on loading.

But.... The client runs the WebGL build on a touch monitor/TV, and on that one the fullscreen mode will "scale back" into a bordered windowed app.
    As all tests on our PC's, tablets, and Mac ran just fine, I'm suspecting the touchscreen is somehow different than a regular monitor.

Canvas is set to 16:9, with a 1920x1080 as a preferred resolution, and set to 'scale with screen size'.
    The 'screen match mode' is set to 'match width or height' with a value of 0.5
    The 'reference pixels per unit' is set to 100.
    For the Inspector/WebGL settings it's all default stuff, and the 'default canvas width/height' resolution is set to 1920x1080 as well.
    WebGL builds are using the default template for the WebGL index.html page.

Anyone ran into something similar before, or has some tips where to look for solutions?

Like I said above, all is working for our test setups, but with this external monitor/TV in the mix, it's not behaving properly when using the fullscreen button on the WebGL page.
    I browsed the forums on this, but as it is working for us, it's a bit hard to look for solutions for this issue... ;)

cheers for any tips!

rob

2. _neobine

_neobine

Many (most?) TVs etc do not allow forcing fullscreen from the browser app - it will always show the title bar (most manufacturers recommend creating a proper apps) and most browsers require user interaction for it as well.

A quick google will confirm that for you e.g.

screenshot.png

screenshot.png

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

I - think - your misread my post. Or I don't really understand your answer.
    And yes, I did Google -and- run through this forum. And no, I never specified anything Samsung here.

It's not running ON the TV, so it's not an app.
    The touchscreen/TV is just hooked up to a pc, and ALL applicactions, inclouding the browser, run just fine in full screen mode (aka screen resolution).
    The only thing that refuses to run fullscreen is the WebGL app window on this particular touch monitor/TV.

cheers!

rob

4. Deleted User

Deleted User

OK,

Got word back on the touch monitor, and it's a 'ProWise' UHD screen, so 4K.
    That's twice the resolution of 1920*1080, so 3840*2160.

But according to the docs, with the settings mentioned in my first post, it would scale up properly to the screen resolution used, including button sizes. There's no change in aspect ratio here, just a double resolution compared to the preferred resolution.

Just to add to the previous settings, the Game view is set to 1920x1080 as well.

Any1?

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

Non one has a clue?

Another piece.... We rebuilt the app/UI to 4K, but still the fullscreen size is stuck to HD.
    I'm all out of ideas here, hope still someone can chime in...

rob

6. kognito1

kognito1

Unity WebGL doesn't understand DPI scaling without some hacking. i.e. if your screen is 3840*2160 but you have a DPI scaling of 2, it will render 1920*1080 and then upscale to 3840*2160.

7. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thanks for the reply,

But if it upscales, will that not affect the quality of the 'image'?

Are there working WebGL templates to be found, so that I don't waste so much time on something that should be in the manual? ;)

cheers,

rob

8. kognito1

kognito1

9. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi,

Thanks for that, at least I know it can be fixed, but not in a pretty way....

It's odd that this still is happening with all the high-res screen nowadays.
    Hope they'll fix it soon.

cheers!

rob