Search Unity

Python scripting

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by robbaz1327, Feb 12, 2019.

1. robbaz1327

robbaz1327

I am a beginner. I want to use Python in Unity. But I can not find the tutorials. Are there any tutorials I can follow?

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

You can't use python in Unity properly. Main language is C#

Joe-Censored likes this.
  3. drcrck

drcrck

Unity doesn't support Python. There might be some plugins but I doubt they will allow you to make anything more complex than printing "Hello Unity" to the console.

Use C#, the language of the gods.

4. simonlvschal

simonlvschal

i dont get how u heard unity allows python barely any games exist in that language. nor should you use python to make games. its slow and quite outdated.

Unity uses C# as its main language and Java can still be used but i am pretty sure unity is going to be a C# explicite engine.

5. xVergilx

xVergilx

If you really want python - use Godot instead.

6. simonlvschal

simonlvschal

Godot barely supports it.

7. xVergilx

xVergilx

KuroRose likes this.
  8. Java was never part of any Unity solutions. UnityScript was which was a Javascript derivative.

BTW
    https://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonGames

Oh and just for fun: Civilization IV was built in C++ and Python and it could be modded in Python AFAIK.

9. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

One of the benefits of Unity3D is the massive developer base. If you have a problem or a question, it is almost 100% certain that someone else has already fixed it, or at least identified a workaround.

You can run Python in Unity in a bunch of different ways, but understand that if you do that, you will:

a) cut yourself off from easy access to example C# scripts and constructs that do useful things that save you massive amounts of fiddle-around time

b) be using something that virtually nobody else has used in the Unity context, leaving you to solve most of your problems yourself.

c) be exposing yourself to a brand-new class of problems related to which platform supports whatever Python implementation you suggest.

If you're just starting out, keep it simple. Code in C#. It's not hard to learn, there's PLENTY of help out there, and right here for specific Unity context questions.

10. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Don't

Not surprising

Not for python in Unity

Kurt-Dekker likes this.
  11. MNNoxMortem

MNNoxMortem

Anything all the users above said. Anyway, check out Iron Python.

12. mgear

mgear

MNNoxMortem likes this.