Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.1 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We've opened up a space to discuss, share feedback, and showcase everything related to the Unity Shader Graph! Come show us what you've made.
    Dismiss Notice

Python scripting

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by robbaz1327, Feb 12, 2019.

1. robbaz1327

robbaz1327

I am a beginner. I want to use Python in Unity. But I can not find the tutorials. Are there any tutorials I can follow?

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

You can't use python in Unity properly. Main language is C#

Joe-Censored likes this.
  3. drcrck

drcrck

Unity doesn't support Python. There might be some plugins but I doubt they will allow you to make anything more complex than printing "Hello Unity" to the console.

Use C#, the language of the gods.

4. simonlvschal

simonlvschal

i dont get how u heard unity allows python barely any games exist in that language. nor should you use python to make games. its slow and quite outdated.

Unity uses C# as its main language and Java can still be used but i am pretty sure unity is going to be a C# explicite engine.

5. xVergilx

xVergilx

If you really want python - use Godot instead.

6. simonlvschal

simonlvschal

Godot barely supports it.

7. xVergilx

xVergilx

KuroRose likes this.
  8. Lurking-Ninja

Lurking-Ninja

Java was never part of any Unity solutions. UnityScript was which was a Javascript derivative.

BTW
    https://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonGames

Oh and just for fun: Civilization IV was built in C++ and Python and it could be modded in Python AFAIK.

9. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

One of the benefits of Unity3D is the massive developer base. If you have a problem or a question, it is almost 100% certain that someone else has already fixed it, or at least identified a workaround.

You can run Python in Unity in a bunch of different ways, but understand that if you do that, you will:

a) cut yourself off from easy access to example C# scripts and constructs that do useful things that save you massive amounts of fiddle-around time

b) be using something that virtually nobody else has used in the Unity context, leaving you to solve most of your problems yourself.

c) be exposing yourself to a brand-new class of problems related to which platform supports whatever Python implementation you suggest.

If you're just starting out, keep it simple. Code in C#. It's not hard to learn, there's PLENTY of help out there, and right here for specific Unity context questions.

10. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Don't

Not surprising

Not for python in Unity

Kurt-Dekker likes this.
  11. MNNoxMortem

MNNoxMortem

Anything all the users above said. Anyway, check out Iron Python.

12. mgear

mgear

MNNoxMortem likes this.