Search Unity

pyrated unity assets - please help

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by unityGames12345, Jul 11, 2019.

1. unityGames12345

unityGames12345

Guys, there is the site that distributes pyrated unity assets for free.
    All our hard work is pyrated and uploaded to this site for free, and that is destroying our revenue.
    I reported this site to unity3d support and they did nothing.
    What can we do? How can we stop this?
    We are all screwed. Why should we give our best to produce high quality assets if someone will steal it and upload it for free...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2019
  2. Mister-D

Mister-D

this happens all the time.
    most of my assets are on torrents allready, u cant really do anything about it:(

3. Antony-Blackett

Antony-Blackett

Just hope that those that find them useful eventually do go and buy a licence for them. They are probably kids who have no money and want assets to learn with. not every pirated download is a lost sale.

gameDevMode likes this.
  4. unityGames12345

unityGames12345

I agree that not every pirated download is a lost sale but i am sure that we lost a lot of sales because of this.
    Come on guys let's report this website. I am sure that we can do something about it to reduce piracy websites.

5. KeithBrown

KeithBrown

You should probably remove the link to the site. You have probably just enabled more people to go and download from there.

6. gameDevMode

gameDevMode

Yeah, i am that kid..i downloaded pirated assets to learn..lol, now i sell on asset store and my asset is pirated on 3..4 websites..To cope up with this, i guess the best thing to do is keep updating your asset.

7. AskCarol

AskCarol

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I'll let the right team know.
    Also, please don't actually link to these sites - for obvious reasons. Thanks!

gameDevMode likes this.
  8. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

You'd think that any serious game developer would have enough decency to purchase a license for any asset they use. Perhaps I'm being naive in thinking that most people downloading the pirated assets are just kids or people that aren't really serious about making a commercial game and probably wouldn't be potential sales, anyways? However, what bothers me is that someone bought it and then released it on these sites. If only there were a way to add hidden tracking information so that Unity could track down the culprits who bought and then released the assets.

9. AskCarol

AskCarol

I highly recommend that publishers submit a DMCA takedown request to the site to force them to remove their content.

10. GCatz

GCatz

keep updating your asset none stop (optimize and update to newer unity versions)
    people won't want to download the 'old & broken' asset

you will get more positive reviews which will lead to more sells...
    pirates will want to buy it so they won't have to beg for the new version

StevenPicard and SickaGames1 like this.
  11. Kamil_Reich

Kamil_Reich

But you know that 'a main pirate' have got your asset because he bought it in the asset store? That mean he also have got newest version and will post it into free store.
    You cannot protect your asset in that way ;)
    We may only count on our honest, don't be afraid to sell your work. If you not put your work into the market (asset store, steam, etc.) you will have no customers and no money.
    Cheers,
    Kamil

12. GCatz

GCatz

sure that's how the first asset gets posted, but after that most of the replies will be 'plz update, dead link, etc..'
    they stop posting updates if the asset is too large to upload or update versions are too frequent.
    if you are a vigilant publisher keep sending DMCA to the hosting servers (I think they auto delete on request by now)
    and it will get them pissed off after they uploaded for few hours on their crap connection

unless your asset is extremely popular then its most likely be on a torrent..
    but then again it will be stuck on the old version of your asset and not many knows how to torrent this days

also offer support for your asset, they will never get that without invoice and can be encouraged to buy it only for support
    in the sea of 1000s of assets and only few pirates releasing and many many leeching its easy to discourage them