Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Puzzle design in 3D space

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by iamthwee, Aug 7, 2016.

1. iamthwee

iamthwee

Hi I wanted to ask a question which has been bugging me for a while.

Overall I think creating a good 3D puzzle game is quite difficult, more so than 2D as it has 3 dimensions to move freely in.

As an example the game "limbo" and "inside" is exactly the type of puzzle game I'm looking to emulate except with a horror twist. Now "inside" works great because essentially it is a 2.5D platformer, they restrict the movement in the extra third dimension ensuring the puzzles are easy to solve and put together.

What would be the best way to go about doing something like this myself, if my game is sort of a playable teaser inspiration?

I've been stumped on the gameplay for months now. I've got a few ideas where turning on light switches drop painting to reveal message or clues and doors locking or closing after a timed period. Also using boxes to get over stuff.

But again doing these puzzles in 3D space is really tricky.

FYI this is where my games stands at the moment, as you can see struggling with any sort of gameplay. I don't think a typical shooter would work, though I have a gun... Shooting a load of zombies would certainly kill the atmosphere.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
    konsic likes this.