Search Unity

Putting Vuforia Elements in World Space

Discussion in 'Vuforia' started by LucasRizzotto, Jun 24, 2019.

1. LucasRizzotto

LucasRizzotto

Hey, all. I'm working on an application in which an image target starts an AR experience, but targets are no longer required after that initial activation - in other words, I want the experience to be world-bound, not target-bound.

In theory all I would have to do is put the game objects associated with the image target in worldspace (with the unity scene itself as the transform parent) and let extended tracking do the work... but it doesn't seem to be that simple at all.

Tracking is unreliable at best and it's only a matter of seconds before the worldspace objects lose tracking completely start "sticking to the camera". I've found several people asking how to do this on the Vuforia forums and have received no answers. Tracking mode is set to Positional and I've set up ARCore correctly.

So am I doing something wrong? Is this just really hard for Vuforia to pull off for some reason?

2. meedabit

meedabit

Official Vuforia Employee Vuforia

Hello,

This article includes some information for an ideal Ground Plane environment: https://library.vuforia.com/articles/Training/ground-plane-guide.html. The Device Positional Tracker uses the same technology as Ground Plane, so this guide is relevant to that subject when evaluating tracking performance.

The Device Positional Tracker utilizes images from the device camera to understand the basic geometry of your environment. Therefore it is necessary to stage in settings that enable the camera to accurately capture the details of the surroundings.

Recommendations:
    • Stable lighting conditions
    • Moderate lighting - not too bright or too dark
    • Avoid glare and dark shadows
    • Surface details help to reveal geometry and improve accuracy and performance
    If you are still having issues, please send a screen capture of the behavior and we can take a look.

Thanks,
    Vuforia Engine Support