Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

pureLIGHT Unity

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by Dave Chan, Mar 1, 2010.

1. spaceMan-2.5

spaceMan-2.5

pureLight looks the same to the beast, no visual difference, may be a bit different in the process....i guess.

2. Dreamora

Dreamora

although its a unity pro feature and unity 3 pro costs more than pureLIGHT (and is a per seat upgrade).
    also pureLIGHt is not restricted to unity

thats something to keep in mind

3. KarelA

KarelA

Beast will be only Pro feature, really? Could you point me to source where it says so? This could be actually create news. Indie developers will have alternative (cheaper) solution for lighting.

One thing that i love about PL is that it makes baking lights fun.

4. spaceMan-2.5

spaceMan-2.5

well, after working a bit, i got a good result with pureLight, but in unity i must to drag and drop all the objects and to place all in their respective place is a hard work... i guess this is something they will see to fix in the future..

but seeing in their site, pureLights looks the same to beast... one is older than other, thats all....

5. KarelA

KarelA

That is funny. I do not have to set anything right with. The scene looks exactly as it did in pureLight preview. Make sure that you DO NOT drag your objects from project window onto viewport. It will mess up your objects and and lightmaps. Drag them onto hierarchy view. For me it works like charm. I dont have to place anything manually.

If i only could group these object or put them into prefab....

6. spaceMan-2.5

spaceMan-2.5

oh oh yeah,, you are right, now remains a little problem, the lens flare goes through the meshes... i tried all layers, but well, there are many options in pureLight shader to try...

thanks.

nop nope... sorry, i forgot to make collide..

7. Dreamora

Dreamora

announcement, the second link posted
    alternatively on the thread on 2d engine in unity, the gamasutra link there.

Same goes for Umbra btw

was though clear that it will be unity pro, you can't really expect tot get 110k of middleware technology integrated at $0

8. spaceMan-2.5

spaceMan-2.5

of course, is logic, is not a gif :), pureLight is the choise for non pro user there is no more words ;)

ps. i´m not saying pureLight is not a pro tool, IS a pro tool but for the price is very confortable..

9. KarelA

KarelA

Very cool 8) I am also liking pureLight and trying to get funds together to buy this application when 30 days run dry.

Since we are dealing with Unity here i would not have been very surprised if BEAST came as a gift :)

royalGuy did you manage to remove "flare trough meshes" problem by adding a collision on mesh?

10. spaceMan-2.5

spaceMan-2.5

haha yeah, i know, all good is possible with this development group ..

the lens flares were fixed, i forgot to add collision to meshes,, that was......

i´m testing now, and meshes looks too white, but i was in a mistaken giving more brightness to the textures in gimp if then pureLight will do the same again....

at the momment all looks ok...

11. davebuchhofer

davebuchhofer

I'd also like to comment on the documentation, its a very good explanation of the pitfalls of various types of texture baking, and I would recommend it to anyone starting to bake textures with any system heh!

12. KarelA

KarelA

Fellow pureLight users. I call you out to discuss about some problems. I want to confirm a few issues. I want to know if it is on my end or is it something to do with pureLight import feature.

1) Right now i dont have any confirm from anyone. Is someone able to create prefab from the pureLight geometry or not?

2) Issue with moving geometry. If i use new feature in pureLight that lets you move geometry inside pureLight and make rebake. After that when i import into Unity the geometry is still in the original place. (Exact same spot when i exported from 3dsMax)

3) Brightness and saturation. They are only post process effects. I can make a room a lot brighter but this brightness does not transform over into Unity. In unity all lightmap brightness are still on default value.

4) Documentation says that when you import from pureLight into Unity all the shaders will be automatically assigned. I have not seen this feature. I have to assign right shader manually for every object.

These are my main problems with pureLight workflow. Does anyone else have same issues. We could team up together and find a workaround or solution. If no one has same issues then at least i know that these problems are on my end.

Thanks.

13. Dave Chan

Dave Chan

I'd say our results are quite comparable to Beast, but our biggest advantage is the realtime iterative workflow. Being to stop and start with changes is a huge time saver.

What issues are you having with the objects? Do you mean placing them into the scene or how they are organized in the hierarchy list?

14. Dave Chan

Dave Chan

Gotmilk, let me look into these issues and see what we can do.

15. Dave Chan

Dave Chan

Also, forgot to mention for those looking for the demo there is a trial version on this page. Just click on the Trial Versions tab.

16. spaceMan-2.5

spaceMan-2.5

pureLight must to be integrated with Unity like The Beast... :( looks like ase collada formats does not support mirror reflection in blender materials (or does not export it)..

but definitely is great.

17. Dave Chan

Dave Chan

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Mirror reflection is tricky because it really needs to be dynamic to work properly.

18. Dave Chan

Dave Chan

Just a toot your own horn post. pureLIGHT won a mediaFRESH award last Friday for Best Software Innovation.

19. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

What are your plans for the future with unity 3.5 and its great features coming?

20. U7Games

U7Games

Purelight must to be integrated in unity as many others add-ons like locomotion, advanced terrain script, easyRoad, etc.. :)