Search Unity

pureLIGHT Unity

Discussion in 'External Tools' started by Dave Chan, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Dave Chan

Dave Chan

Just a quick heads up. We are hoping to have pureLIGHT Unity on sale later today or early tomorrow. Just a few e-commerce things to sort out. The full version is going to be $350.00US for at least the first month and if you are an existing Torque 3D pureLIGHT customer you can get the Unity license for an additional $150.00US. We will also be posting a demo version and some demo content.

A few people have asked about a Mac version and if there is a large enough demand we would definitely consider an OSX port.

2. fallingbrickwork

fallingbrickwork

Great news on this... i'm looking forward to taking it for a spin and comparing results to my current modo workflow.

Regards,
    Matt.

3. maxfax2009

maxfax2009

Great can't wait

4. giyomu

giyomu

pretty cool ,

can't wait to see that in action :)

5. Teo

Teo

I want Windows and Mac versions!:) Will this work on Unity iPhone also to generate the lightmaps?

Hehe, thanks for the news btw!

6. Dave Chan

Dave Chan

We've not tested with Unity iPhone, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work. You can manage lightmap size and memory usage very effectively in pureLIGHT. So, making a level with good lighting within the constraints of the iPhone shouldn't be an issue.

7. ivanmoen

ivanmoen

This looks really interesting. Do I have to use you shaders, or can I use my own? And any plans to support fbx files?

8. Dave Chan

Dave Chan

You could use your own, but ours are set up to blend the lightmaps properly with the diffuse textures, transparencies and to implement our vertex lighting correctly. Right now FBX is a thorn in our side. The SDK is a nightmare and Autodesk hasn't opened up the spec. We'd prefer to use something with a more solid spec than Collada so maybe people could pressure Autodesk into publishing the spec for FBX.

9. ivanmoen

ivanmoen

Do your shaders support normal and specular map?

10. Teo

Teo

Wait a second,

So pureLIGHT for Unity will not work INSIDE Unity editor? Well.. with all my respect and consideration for pureLIGHT but if you force us to use Collada and another external tool, I don't see any reason to use it.

I am pretty tired of external tools, I was expecting a IN editor solution.

And besides, talking on external tools, we can use http://unity3d.com/support/resources/unity-extensions/external-lightmapping-tool and is FREE.

11. ivanmoen

ivanmoen

The external lightmapping tool requires 3D studio right? If I understand it correctly puleLight is a external tool for lighting only… And since I don’t have 3D studio, but can export the collada format, PureLight might me something for me :)

12. giyomu

giyomu

i agree with the fact that a IN editor solution will be best , but i guess that we will have to wait for the fellow UT dev to implement that themself to have it someday ^^,
    but for external lightmapping tool as you link, well tool is free but if you don't have max, to use this tool will cost you like 3000$ :D

so in the end pure light seem quite reasonable :)

13. Teo

Teo

The external lighmapping tool from Unity works with Max and Maya.

The point is, usually, I (we) don't use full scene from the 3D authoring tool, usually, we combine/arrange inside Unity scene, add more objects and so. To see that working, you basically have to export your Unity scene to an external tool, then make the lightmaps, then import again in Unity.

So, the path is Unity scene -> external tool -> Unity scene.

I am expecting an in Unity editor solution.

However, I will check the trial version, to see how is.

14. fallingbrickwork

fallingbrickwork

I was getting excited by this until I saw the collada file type. I'm a modo user which doesn't export to this directly. I think Luxology mentioned collada support with 401 but I never actual saw this materialize.

Maybe a fellow modo user could make my excitement return with info on how modo and purelight could be used in harmony.

Regards,
    Matt.

15. maxfax2009

maxfax2009

16. Dave Chan

Dave Chan

We might be able to look at a solution that works inside Unity, but that is a significant amount of work and we would have to talk to Unity as it would require access to source code. The solution we developed as it stands was done mostly in-house with a bit of help from Unity. One good thing about keeping it external is the flexibility to use the output for multiple engines.

We support Collada and ASE. Our Collada support is quite robust and we have currently tested it with Max, Maya, XSI, Blender and Sketchup. If someone is willing to send us a test scene like a small Cornell box from Modo with Collada we will test that as well. Also, as maxfax2009 mentioned there is an FBX to Collada converter. Since Unity supports Collada as well it shouldn't be an issue for most folks.

Lastly, I will admit there are a few hurdles to overcome, but believe me, the flexibility and convenience that pureLIGHT provides is well worth the effort. I am not a 3D modeler by trade, but even I can get really great lighting with this tool. If you want to see how the process works I suggest you check out our tutorials.

17. Dave Chan

Dave Chan

Here is our press release:

Gamasutra's Best Of 2009: Top 5 Game Company Unity Gets Top Notch Lighting with pureLIGHT

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, March 1, 2010 - pureLIGHT Technologies is pleased to announce that we are releasing pureLIGHT for Unity. pureLIGHT has been used for the over 3 years in complex cutting edge simulation projects for the US Army and Caterpillar and architectural visualization for companies such as British Petroleum and Gensler architects.

pureLIGHT brings the same incredible quality static lighting, ease of use and unbelievable value that other platforms have been enjoying for the last year to Unity. pureLIGHT Product Manager David Chan had this to say, “It’s been great to see Unity grow as a game development tool over the last few years. Unity concentrates on tools that are easy to use and yet extremely powerful. This is the same philosophy we subscribe to at pureLIGHT and we think our technology will fit perfectly into the Unity workflow and give projects that extra polish that will make them shine.”

pureLIGHT is a global illumination solution with advanced workflow features making it more attractive than competitive products at a fraction of the cost. Currently, most lighting products employ a "click and hope" approach with no opportunity for the user to view their lighting set up while light maps are being generated. This can lead to hours or even days of final product uncertainty. pureLIGHT offers a real time iterative detailed viewing of light maps as they are generated, thus allowing users to adjust settings while lighting is in progress. Users can employ other powerful features:

• pureLIGHT automatically unwraps models with flexible options for the best lighting model for any type of geometry.

• pureLIGHT supports popular 3D applications such as Autodesk 3ds Max, Maya, XSI, or any program that will export in the Collada standard.

• pureLIGHT can produce professional quality results with a minimum amount of experience.

• pureLIGHT supports multi-core rendering to make the most of modern hardware.

• pureLIGHT supports automatic generation of materials and includes pre-built shaders for Unity to make importing pureLIGHT as easy as a few mouse clicks.

• pureLIGHT includes an extremely efficient static ray-trace preview mode that allows users to see an accurate approximation of the final scene lighting.

The response to pureLIGHT Torque has been extremely positive. The following unsolicited quotes are from the pureLIGHT users:

Picasso - "pureLIGHT really rocks. It improves the whole vision of the level... pureLIGHT rules."

Steve "YorkshireRifles" Acaster - "pureLIGHT is great. Well worth the money."

Haru Ruben - "pureLIGHT's iterative method really has helped me make better images - faster. Doing things in an iterative way helped me to make changes early, and see where problems or creative improvements were possible. Truth is it's actually a lot faster than anything I've tried - truth is you can spend all night rendering your totally awesome lighting solution... but getting to that solution is faster, more fun and I ended up with great results."

Logan Foster, Art Director Max Gaming Technologies – “pureLIGHT is a tool you should look at plugging into your art pipeline . Its affordability combined with a plethora of easy to learn, user-friendly features and its impressive and accurate, lightmapping results make it a very easy solution to consider adding.” (February 2010 issue of Game Developer magazine)

pureLIGHT will be offered at the introductory price of $350.00US for Unity customers. Existing Torque 3D customers will be able to add Unity support for $150.00US and users that want access to both versions will be able to buy the bundle for $500.00US.

The pureLIGHT site is here and the product sale page is here. There are also trial versions on the product page for those that want to test drive. Please make sure to read the manual section on installing Unity scripts and shaders.

18. skylebones

skylebones

Awesome! This is good news. After testing it with XSI I fell i love. By far the easiest lightmapping for Unity solution out there.

19. KHopcraft

KHopcraft

Hate to sound like an incompetent fool who cant use Google, but what is PureLIGHT?

20. Dreamora

Dreamora

pureLIGHT is a lightmapping technology you use to bake great lighting information into textures to use in your game and allows you to experiment and save a lot of time due to the way it works.
    For more you can visit http://www.purelighttech.com/

21. KHopcraft

KHopcraft

Thanks a lot dreamora.

22. giyomu

giyomu

coool , well i am going to try that out right now :D

23. fallingbrickwork

fallingbrickwork

Great news on the Trial (many thanks for that)... I can't wait to test it out when I get my current project out the door.

Best Regards,
    Matt.

24. kingkingbill

kingkingbill

Hi, i downloaded the trial version and everything was going well until i actially imported the scene into pureLIGHT. None of the objects i have imported show up, its just a grey box. Any help?

25. kingkingbill

kingkingbill

not to worry, i sorted it :D

26. KarelA

KarelA

Could you explain your solution to this problem?
    This would help to prevent the situation that we do not step into same bucket :)

27. Dave Chan

Dave Chan

If anyone has any questions don't hesitate to email or message me. Also, just a quick note. For some reason that we have been unable to track down the demo will say it has expired when it's installed. This is a time zone thing. Wait 24 hours and it should work properly.

28. TerryNorton

TerryNorton

Well, darn it all anyway. I've been waiting for this for months. I was all set to click the Buy Now button, but...

But why do the specs only say Windows?

It's rather ironic that Unity used to be a Mac only app, with Windows being recently added. Now out comes this cool pureLight app for Unity, well, almost for Unity. There was one slight detail I seemed to have missed in the big lead-up to the release.

It's actually pureLight for Windows Unity. Quite the let-down.

29. KarelA

KarelA

Hello Dave,

Can you specify for how long are you gonna keep the intro price?

I am very interested in this software but i want to make sure i use my 30 day demo fully and go trough the documentation. I want to be 100% sure that this is the software i need for my lighting solutions.

Thanks

30. liverolA

liverolA

downloaded the installer and try to run purelight.exe,it said the software had expired!!....

31. KarelA

KarelA

Just wait for 24 hours and it will work.

32. giyomu

giyomu

yes i got same issue too and the day after all was ok

33. Dave Chan

Dave Chan

I've actually mentioned a few times that pureLIGHT is Windows only at the moment. The way the application works it would be a fairly significant effort to port it to OSX. We aren't against the idea at all, but there would have to be a significant number of people willing to buy the application to make it worthwhile. That being said, if there was someone out there willing to port to OSX for a revenue split it would be something we'd consider. We are a small shop and don't have an OSX coder in house at the moment.

34. Dave Chan

Dave Chan

We plan to keep the introductory price for at least 30 days, but we may extend it.

35. Dave Chan

Dave Chan

Yeah, this bug has plagued us for a while and we are unable to reproduce it so we haven't been able to fix it. It's more annoying than anything and I apologize.

36. KarelA

KarelA

I tried the pureLight demo.
    It is pretty cool and gives you lot of control over your scene.

But the one issue is that when i put all my meshes into Hierarchy and then try to create a prefab from those object, i am unable to to so.
    All the geometry will store in prefab but the prefab icon is still white. And when i drag this prefab back to hierarchy all the objects are still seperated.
    This makes complex level messy very quickly.

Am i doing something wrong or is there a workaround for this?
    Prefabs are nice way to group your meshes and keep your scene clean.

Thanks.

37. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Is it safe to assume that since the demo asks for a purelight scene file and closes if you cancel that this is just a demo limitation?
    I am downloading the provided scene file now.
    Are you planning any training videos?

38. showoff

showoff

39. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

When will we get a GI solution that works right inside of Unity, like Atmosphere (probably the best thing that program had going for it)?

40. Dreamora

Dreamora

much faster as multiprocessor
    multi pass generation so you can decide early on that the result isn't what you wanted, you don't have to wait for the whole calc

41. Dave Chan

Dave Chan

Not sure about this as I have not created a prefab in Unity. I'll have our lead have a look. It sounds like it might be an issue on the Unity end.

42. Dave Chan

Dave Chan

Nice to see that we already have some fans :) Our biggest advantage is the iterative lighting process. Being able to stop and start a bake after changing light settings is a huge advantage for getting your lighting perfect. Also, I think the older version of Giles is free, but the current is a retail product.

43. spaceMan-2.5

spaceMan-2.5

44. davebuchhofer

davebuchhofer

Looking into the demo again now, you definitely need to scan the manuals pretty deeply, but once you get the naming conventions and overall workflow down its pretty simple to work with so far.

I'm finding some issues with large (in scene units) objects popping up errors, it wasn't very clear that you need to use the Light Units / meter as the scale factor for large scenes

the unwrapping works pretty well, and is dealing with my "nasty" test scene with hundreds of small objects with no issues noted so far.

I need to play a little more, but so far its looking very promising!

45. showoff

showoff

Thanks Dave but from what I read on their forums the older version of Giles is the retail version and the new one is free. I'll be testing both purelight and Giles out to see which one I like the most.

46. spaceMan-2.5

spaceMan-2.5

is good, but please, someone knows if pureLight only works for Unity pro or indie too?.... i´m wondering this because the custom shaders...

thank you..

47. Dreamora

Dreamora

Lightmap shaders are independent of the Unity version used so it works with both.

the only shaders that are Unity Pro only are those that use render textures ( reflection, refraction, fullscreen FX)

48. spaceMan-2.5

spaceMan-2.5

thank you dm..

49. ivanmoen

ivanmoen

Anyone used pureLight with C4D? I’m not a 3d artist but I use C4D for prototyping.
    I can’t seem to get lights included in the collada file, and adding lights in pureLight is not easy..!?

50. KarelA

KarelA

I want to comment on documentation. It is very good. I enjoy reading this and i understand everything that is explained. It makes me sad to think about all the time that was invested on pureLight to get into Unity and only few days after release Unity announces 3.0 with the BEAST

Not sure how this feature will play against pureLight. Also i cannot organize my objects that i have imported into Unity. I have two rooms with lots of details and my hierarchy is a total mess :cry: