Search Unity

PuppetMaster - Advanced Character Physics Tool [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Partel-Lang, Oct 1, 2015.

1. farzaan090

farzaan090

Great, thank you very much for your continued support of this asset! Those are features I personally am very much looking forward to.

Partel-Lang likes this.
  2. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Hey,
    If you reduced Muscle Weight to a very low value, but kept the Pin Weight at 1, it will behave pretty much like a dead puppet doll being pulled to its animation by strings, but not having any muscles of it's own. So the head and the last rigidbody of each limb will be pulled to the animation from a single point and that makes them free to just dangle around.

I suggest you try increasing Muscle Damper instead if you wish to make the muscles smoother or lazier or play around with rigidbody.drag.

Cheers,
    Pärtel

3. chrisk

chrisk

Hi, Partel, how's it going?
    I'm checking to see how things are going the fixing the bug I reported.
    1. Rocket Jump
    2. Getting up from the ground where the ground layer is set to Default. You showed me where I can try to check the normal but it didn't quite work.

You can take your time but I hope it gets fixed in the next patch.
    Cheers!

4. Epiplon

Epiplon

Any tips for grabbing parts of the puppet (like a hand for example) and push the character naturally?
    I tried creating a Configurable Joint component and attaching a limb to it but when I move it, the puppet starts resisting and glitch it out. Wanted to simulate just like what happen if you grab someone by the arm and push it. Maybe I'm missing something.

5. NewMagic-Studio

NewMagic-Studio

The teleport for Vrik worked in part, it teleports all at the same time, but fails as a few times the vrik player displaces to one side so i can see the body moving out from where camera is, i tried this in just a flat floor. When i try to move to an irregular floor, like having many stones on the floor i see the vrik model displaced from the camera position as if were blocked by the stones

6. NewMagic-Studio

NewMagic-Studio

I got to make the teleport but i see the arms bounce up and down a bit after it, how can i avoid the bounce? i tried deactivating and activating later the puppetmaster but it makes the bounce when its enabled

7. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Hey,
    I believe I have sorted out these issues, sent you a PM.

Hey,
    When you add that joint, it will fight with the pinning forces trying to keep the puppet pinned to it's animation. So if you grab a hand, you'll also have to reduce the pin weights for the entire arm and maybe also the rest of the upper body to allow it some room for being pulled. You can do so via puppetMaster.SetMuscleWeightsRecursive(). Check out PuppetMasterMuscleAPI.cs for all the overrides for that method.

Hey,
    Those problems might also be fixed already, sent you a PM.

Cheers,
    Pärtel

8. h00man

h00man

hey partel,
    is there any way to limit puppet's movement on z axis?
    im making a 2.5 D game and i don't want the puppet to move on z axis.
    i tried to use the constairnes of rigidbody of my puppet parent and it doesn't work:(

9. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Hey,
    There is actually a 2.5 example included under Plugins/RootMotion/PuppetMaster/_Integration. Requires the free Goblin Archer package from the asset store to be imported too.

10. h00man

h00man

thanks it really helped;)

11. AC333

AC333

Hi Partel,
    First, I wanted to say thanks for developing this asset and also being so active in maintaining and troubleshooting all of our issues. I really appreciate it a lot! :)

I was actually having both the issues that chrisk was asking about and was hoping you could PM the solution as well?

Thanks again!

Partel-Lang and JBR-games like this.
  12. Jap

Jap

Hey, I'm trying to rotate puppet arms to match the target pose (no pinning) without affecting the physics. Decreasing arm/hand masses doesn't work as the simulation starts to glitch out with large mass differences.

I tried setting the appropriate muscles
      transform.rotation = target.rotation * rotationRelativeToTarget
    , It seems to do the job, except that for some reason the puppet seems to be trying to match world rotation of the target pose, which I do not want.

I would like arms to retain their world velocities and torque the same as they were prior to this transformation.

Any ideas are welcome to put me on the right track!

Thanks.

Edit:
    I managed to make it work, by setting
     transform.localRotation = targetAnimatedRotation
    before muscle update, for the required muscles.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
    Partel-Lang likes this.
  13. chrisk

chrisk

Hi, Partel, thank you very much for your help. PM version fixed the both of my problem. I think your support is one of the best I've seen. I really appreciate it. Cheers!

Partel-Lang likes this.
  14. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Hey,
    Just sent you a PM. Everyone else in urgent need for it please PM me with your invoice number. If no rush, it will be in the next version.

Hey, glad you found a solution.

If you need to make changes to the target pose before muscles update, so it would affect the physics, you can use PuppetMaster.OnRead delegate, which is called every time before PM reads the pose. It's where you'd solve IK or make any other procedural changes.
    If you wish to apply your adjustments to the target pose after physics, use PuppetMaster.OnWrite. That is called after PuppetMaster writes the physical results on the target pose and changes you make there are purely cosmetic, they will not be applied to the ragdoll. It is useful for making minor fixes like making sure the hand is perfectly locked to something and stuff like that.
    See "IK Before Physics" and "IK After Physics" demos for more...

Cheers,
    Pärtel

15. chris_schubert

chris_schubert

HI @Partel-Lang
    I'm having an issue integrating UMA 2.8 with PuppetMaster.

My UMA 2.8 avatar's limbs are being positioned incorrectly, despite the target pose looking correct. This is with no puppet behaviours enabled, and a mapping weight of 1. The only muscle with mapped position is Hips. The demo scene with the UMA crowd reproduces this issue as well. Any ideas?

upload_2019-4-5_8-50-17.png

16. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Hey,
    Looks like a bug that I recently fixed.. Please go to Muscle.cs::Initiate() and find this line:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. targetRotationRelative = Quaternion.Inverse(rigidbody.rotation) * target.rotation;
    Replace it with this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. targetRotationRelative = Quaternion.Inverse(rigidbody.transform.rotation) * target.rotation;
    Best,
    Pärtel

17. chris_schubert

chris_schubert

Thanks Partel. That took care of the muscle rotation.

I'm now having an issue with LookAtIK. This is what my UMA avatar looks like with 0 clamping and 1 weight (head,eyes,body) looking at a position directly in front of him:

upload_2019-4-10_22-21-18.png

18. chris_schubert

chris_schubert

EDIT:
    Sorry... Just read the recent posts about this. Is it possible to get the latest update you mentioned to chrisk so that I can attempt the same solution by ignoring ground collisions with certain normals?

ORIGINAL:
    @Partel-Lang I would appreciate some advice:

How to manage a layer that can be walked upon, but also collided with?
    For example, a set of stairs. You should be able to walk up the stairs from the front (which is managed by Kinematic Character Controller, with foot placement by GrounderIK). However, if you run into them from the side you should collide and fall. Also, if you were to fall onto the stairs from above at something like 10m, you should also collide and fall with them.

I have tried setting them as both the ground and collision layer for the puppet, but my character will fall then just walking up them because the displacement made by GrounderIK seems to be factoring into his muscle knockout distance.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
  19. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Hey,
    Was that screenshot taken with Global or Local gizmo mode? Usually that problem happens if your character is not facing the positive Z axis of the gameobject that LookAtIK is on, but on that screenshot it appears right.

I usually use AimIK for looking, it is more flexible, allows for rotation limits and a pole target too.

Hey,
    Sure, will PM you...

20. chris_schubert

chris_schubert

AimIK took care of the issues. Thank you!

And I'm not sure if it was the latest update, or what - but I went back to the PuppetExtended example and modeled all of my character's puppet values off of the pilot in the example, and it is working really beautifully.

I lock the first-person camera to my character's head transform whenever PuppetMaster triggers OnLoseBalance and it results in a really cool fall effect. Thanks!

Partel-Lang likes this.
  21. andrewpmoore

andrewpmoore

I've got my character sometimes getting hit by a fast moving object with a mass of approx 1000kg
    When this happens they change to a ragdoll, but sometimes they'll fly through the air a huge distance. Is there any way to stop that happening. I've got pretty much all the settings set to the default from the melee demo scene.

22. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Hey,
    Sounds like a general ragdoll stability issue in Unity. PhysX can't really handle large mass differences well, it is recommended to keep the heaviest mass less than 10 times the mass of the lightest Rigidbody. There may be something in here that could help. Does the ragdoll break apart when it happens or does it just fly away as a whole? If you could make a video of the issue, I'd probably have better answers.
    Best,
    Pärtel

23. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Hi all!

I'll be on vacation until the 7th. Please leave your questions here, I'll answer as soon as I get back.
    Thank you for your patience!

Cheers,
    Pärtel

24. Vefery

Vefery

Hi, Partel
    I have some questions:
    1) Wierd issue with character's jumps. If character touches an obstacle with his feet while jumping, he gets huge boost and flies away. I've recorded it, so you can clearly see the issue:

It's "Puppet extended" demo scene, I didn't change anything, wall has kinematic rigidbody. Same with the interpolated one
    2) How can I do something like rope swing? I need to be able to grab rope while jump/fall/etc. I wrote simple code where I use OnCllisionEnter to detect character's hands, then I add Configurable joint to rope segment and attach hand as a Connected body. It works, if I pull a rope to hand gently and then lift the rope REALLY gently, character will hang without problems. But if I add some velocity to rope or especially if I jump towards the rope, character will start to fly and glitch everywhere. I've tried to increase PM's solve iteration count to 50000 and it helped a little, but the problem is still here
    3) Is there a way to get up on Default layer?

Last edited: May 2, 2019
  25. Cecrit

Cecrit

Hey,

I'm interested in the asset but am still unsure if I can make wobbly motion (like seen in totally accurate battle simulator) with it and/or how hard it is. Based on the tutorial videos it looks possiblebut I wanted to make sure before purchasing.
    Thanks in advance!

26. UnityCSharpNoob

UnityCSharpNoob

Hello!

I have an issue with the character controller thats in the demo. For some reason my model/controller seems to be stuck to the ground ( not in a visual way, its just that the collider/controller seems to be stuck or something ) Everything else works like a charm.

I bet its something simple but I have double checked everything now and just cant find the problem.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  27. alsomitra

alsomitra

Hey,
    It was not a ground problem.
    I use BehaviorPuppet and BehaviorBipedStagger.
    In the event of a major collision, puppet loses balance immediately after that.
    However, the puppet does not lose balance right after receiving a small collision.
    After a while, he loses his balance at "when he himself moves a lot."
    He appears to continue to have the impact of collision.
    How do I stop "delay loses balance"?

28. Zeevex

Zeevex

Heyo!
    I've got Final IK & Puppet master and am trying to achieve a look where the weapon & arms follow in the direction of the mouse position (isometric PoV) like ragdoll, so if you rotate your mouse around the player they'll spin with by looking at camera but weapon will also be stretched out, aswell as normal weapon attacks through animations.
    similar to this video bellow, sorry if this is broard question or i'm just really stupid lmao. thanks for any advice!

EDIT: i've made progress with finalIKand hand effectors and a script to move an object to mouse position ( it was spazzing out, but it was because i had the function on update() & not lateupdate()

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  29. chaneya

chaneya

Partel,

I've been working with PuppetMaster for a few years and I've noticed a change. Every now and then, my character will just trip over his own feet and call the Onlosebalance event. I have no idea what is causing him to lose balance on terrain. As Unity has upgraded the physics over the years and the changes to the terrain system with 2018.3, it's hard to know how much of this is due to changes in Unity VS. PuppetMaster. In general, my Losing Balance settings in PuppetMaster have remained the same over time.

I love PuppetMaser but one of my biggest complaints is the complete lack of debugging options/features.

Is there any way to debug what causes a character to lose balance? Is there a way to include in the OnLoseBalance event some variables that give me some insight into what made the character lose balance. Other than just fiddling for hours with Knock Out Distance, Pin Weight Threshold and the numerous Muscle Properties, is there anyway to debug this?

Thanks
    Allan

30. dimitur_kolev2

dimitur_kolev2

Hey, Im using VRIK + Puppetmaster for a FPS Physics fighting game.The plugins get out of sync at random or atleast i cant tell why. It gets so bad and jittery that its almost unplayable. My fps is always above 100, the solver is 10. It seems as the VRIK cant keep up with Puppetmaster, or the other way around im not sure.

Last edited: May 6, 2019
  31. songjiekun

songjiekun

hi.
    i have seen you have "public void SetMuscles(Muscle[] newMuscles)" in your code. however you haven't implemented it in code. have you done it yet ? i need to use something like it in my project. i need to update/remove/replace multiple muscles at onece . how can i do this? thank you.

32. DDDimanN79

DDDimanN79

Hi Partel!
    When I switch a character from kinetic to active, I get a long lag. I use this code.
    puppetMaster.mode = PuppetMaster.Mode.Active;
    What could be the reasons for this? Thank you in advance for your response!

33. alsomitra

alsomitra

I think the problem is similar to mine. I wonder if he doesn't lose his balance right after a collision somewhere, but he delays and loses his balance after a big movement.

34. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Hey guys, I'm back, thanks again for your patience!

Hey,
    1. I have already fixed that issue int the Puppet Extended demo for the next version. If you are in a hurry, please PM me with your invoice number.

2. That is actually not a problem with PM, but a general ragdoll instability issue, I mean you would see the same problem with just normal ragdoll. Please check this out, might be something in there that helps.

3. Same as 1, added a solution for that to the next version.

Hey,
    Yes, it is possible. Basically just set Pin Weight to 0 in the PuppetMaster component to make it follow the animation only by muscle torques. Then you'd need to add some kind of a constraint to make it not lose balance. Like a SpringJoint between the spine and an invisible kinematic Rigidbody that you can use as a body position controller. That's how games like Totally Accurate Battle Simulator usually are made, I mean the physics is not actually "totally accurate", the balance is faked with a constraint.

Hey,
    Sorry, not exactly sure what you meant, could you please record a video or something?

Hey,
    Please try setting "Pin Weight Threshold" to something a little lower than 1, like 0.99 or lower. If it's 1, it will fall in case a muscle gets too far from its target even if there is no collision.

Hey,
    The only thing that causes a puppet to lose balance is a muscle getting too far from its target (Knock Out Distance).
    Adding some debung options to BehaviourPuppet is actually a very good idea, I'll add something like that to the next version. Perhaps something like a debug mode toggle, that logs all events and what triggered them.
    Is the terrain layer included in BehaviouPuppet's "Collision Layers"?
    If it's not, setting "Pin Weight Threshold" to lower than 1, like 0.99, might help as it will not unpin unless there is a collision with something on the collision layers that would lower the pin weights.

Hey,
    Could you provide more information please, like record a video or send me a repro if possible so I could take a closer look? Is the jitter present at all times or is it triggered by something like a collision or a certain pose?

Hey,
    There is PuppetMaster.AddMuscleRecursive and RemoveMuscleRecursive that you can use instead.
    If you need it for blowing off body parts, there will be a much more efficient API (DisconnectMuscleRecursive) in the next version as adding/removing muscles is a very costly operation both in terms of CPU time and GC allocation.

Hey,
    When you switch to active mode, it will smoothly blend to active and the time it takes is defined by "Blend Time" in PuppetMaster. Maybe that is the lag you were seeing? What happens if you set it to 0?

Cheers,
    Pärtel

35. dimitur_kolev2

dimitur_kolev2

@Partel-Lang
    Hey, thank you for your response!

Unfortunately I cant record a video right now but Im going to explain to the best of my abillities.
    Sometimes when i start the game VRIK and puppetmaster go out of sync and the colliders are where they should be, but the mesh isnt following them, it looks like some kind of extreme dampening is applied.It sometimes goes away with a restart of the scene.Happens with all demos.I think its not my pc because ive sent my build to guys with weaker pcs than mine that dont have this issue.
    My setup is RTX 2070 OC Armor, Ryzen 7 1800x, 16gb ddr4 ram, m.2 hard drives.
    When the plugins go out of sync they dont come back, Ive tried a slowmo system and when it triggers there is like 95% chance this will happen.Without slowmo it happens like every 2 3 scene restarts.
    At first the there was joint dislocation + dampening but I turned off map position on each limb of the player and now only the dampening persists.Please if you have any suggestions let me know because this is gamebreaking and my game depends on your brilliant plugins!
    My timescale is 1/90 and my fps is always above 100, no dips, i tried profiling but nothing came up.

36. h00man

h00man

hey partel,
    i got a noobi question
    how can i tell the puppet's body parts not to recover too fast from impact ?
    i have regular puppet in my scene and i shoot him with game object bullets.
    after collision , his body parts get back to their standing pose really really fast.
    how can i make the impact of collision last longer?
    which component of which one of those variable is responsible for making the collision impact effect last longer?
    thanks

37. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Hey,
    Sorry, I have no idea how to reproduce the issue based on that information. I would be happy to look at your project if you can send it over.

Hey,
    Did you try reducing "Regain Pin Speed" in BehaviourPuppet? That defines how fast damage to pinning weights is reduced.

Best,
    Pärtel

38. dimitur_kolev2

dimitur_kolev2

@Partel-Lang Hey! I sent you my project, please if you have time check it out and sorry for the size..

39. songjiekun

songjiekun

@Partel-Lang
    what if after some game events, i only want to leave upper arm and lower arm muscles, and get rid of all other muscle including hands muscles. how to use PuppetMaster.AddMuscleRecursive and RemoveMuscleRecursive to make this happen?

40. Gruguir

Gruguir

@Partel-Lang or anyone that can help me out :
    I'm working on a roomscale vr 'physic-based' workflow, using VRIK / PuppetMaster.
    It is handling an user body collider, a puppet as avatar, i'm also moving the roomscale when necessary to avoid the user to physically moving through obstacles. Featured or still in work are interactables, climbing, networking etc and i'm also playing with the puppet behaviour states and boosters.
    That's pretty complex setup for me but i'm already having good results.
    I suscribed to Puppet.OnRead / OnWrite events but honestly i'm not sure how to use them or what advantage i can get from them. I guess i could replace part of my Updates/FixedUpdates into those. Could someone point to some examples / uses cases ?

41. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Hey,
    Thanks, I'll check it out ASAP...

Hey,
    It is not possible to use RemoveMuscleRecursive or any other method to remove parent muscles, like the body, but keep the arms in PuppetMaster, if you remove a muscle, all child muscles will be removed too. That is because if you removed an arm, logically it should be just a dead limb and I can't see any reason why it can't be just an independent rigidbody/linked rigidbodies. Please tell me more about what exactly you are trying to do, maybe I can suggest a workaround.

Hey,
    OnRead should be used for all kinds of procedural changes to the pose that are applied after animation, things like inverse kinematics. Using OnRead guarantees they will be applied before PM reads the pose. Final IK components on the Target Root use OnRead automatically. OnWrite is used for making some adjustments to the pose after PuppetMaster has mapped the character to the ragdoll. Changes you make to the pose in OnWrite will not affect physics anymore, they would be just cosmetic. An example of that would be creating an aiming system like in Max Payne 3, where you can be a ragdoll on the floor, but still aim accurately. You would apply aim IK in OnRead, to make the ragdoll aim at a certain position, but with physics applied, it will not be fully accurate. Then you can apply another pass of aim IK in OnWrite to make the aiming perfectly accurate.

This is how you can use OnRead/Write:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. void Start() {
    2. puppetMaster.OnRead += OnRead();
    3. }
    5. void OnRead() {
    6. // Make procedural adjustments to the character pose here, maybe rotate a bone or something.
    7. }
    Note that in the current version, there is a bug with OnRead not being called in Kinematic/Disabled PM mode, that will be fixed with the next version. If you see that problem before it is released, please PM me with your invoice number.

Best,
    Pärtel

Gruguir likes this.
  42. songjiekun

songjiekun

1.i am thinking the dead limb is not really dead :) it can have animation with puppetmaster. if i want to archive this , then i guess i have to remove parent muscles. right?
    2.Speaking of dead limb, so if i want to make it "truly" dead (no animation), i just need to make two rigidbody for upper arm bone and lower arm bone ,and then make a configurable joint between them? that's it ?

43. S0ULART

S0ULART

Great Asset Pärtel!
    I only get to change the speed of the animations but it doesn't affect movement speed
    but how can I change the running speed of any puppet?

44. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Hey,
    1. That is not possible, sorry. What you can have though, is 2 separate PuppetMasters with each having just the upper and lower arm muscles.
    2. Yes, that would be just a dead ragdoll arm. If its not run by PM, you can use CharacterJoint or other joint type if they are easier to set up and understand. (Can convert to ConfigurableJoint at any time if you select the root of the rig and do GameObject/ConvertToConfigurableJoints).

Hey, thanks!
    Did you mean the demo character controller? You can change movement speed in the "Puppet Extended" demo for instance, if you go to the Animator window (Animator is on the "Animation Controller" gameobject under "Character Controller") and change the speed of the "Grounder Directional" animation state. Character movement is controlled by root motion so changing animation speed should do it.

Best,
    Pärtel

45. skinwalker

skinwalker

Hello, I dont own puppetmaster and want to ask a question before buying.

Is it possible to add some kind of hit reactions to a dummy game object without having bones? The model must stay at one position and only slightly tilt back and forth when you hit it with a sword or arrow. It will be used as a dummy to practice your skills but unfortunately the model didnt come with a rig

In case it fully depends on bones I can try adding some, but Im wondering if this package will do a good job for "procedural hit animations" for a dummy character

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  46. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Hey,
    Sorry, no, that is not possible. PuppetMaster requires the character to have bones and skinning.
    Maybe Obi Softbody can help you out, can't vouch for it though, haven't used it myself.

Best,
    Pärtel

47. skinwalker

skinwalker

Okay, if I add bones would it be possible to have a dummy that doesnt move its legs but only tilting its body / head when you hit it, and also accurate movement (if you hit it from the back it will start leaning forward then back etc)

48. ksam2

ksam2

Hi, I have big problem here :oops: I need to change "Mode" from Active to Disable in puppet master script from Unity event system. I can disable it with "PuppetMaster.DisableImmediately" in Unity events but I can't active it again because there is only PuppetMaster.DisableImmediately and there is no action to change "Mode" to active again.

PI.jpg

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  49. Saiga308

Saiga308

This fixed my jumping issues:

CharacterThirdPerson.cs
    Code (CSharp):
    2. Vector3 jumpVelocity = userControl.state.move * airSpeed;
    3. //r.velocity = jumpVelocity;
    4. //r.velocity += transform.up * jumpPower;
    5. r.velocity = jumpVelocity + (transform.up * jumpPower);

Partel-Lang likes this.
  50. MarekDyjor

MarekDyjor

it would be nice to have goood manual for this excellent and not chip software... :) I find it very nice but I'm confused some times.