Search Unity

Puppet2D - An advanced skeletal animation tool

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by jamieniman, Dec 31, 2013.

1. KobiLe

KobiLe

hi, i have a simple matter i dont understand, when i create ffd around a sprite, it collapses the sprite. im adding an animated gif to show the problem.
    thx!

2. skord61709

skord61709

@jamieniman

We are using this tool and I am wondering why my sprite does this when I use the FFD tool? It pulls and stretches the image and the outline is not consistent with the image as well. Any help I would appreciate! Thanks

Attached Files:

3. skord61709

skord61709

Ok I just saw above same issue Thor posted and you answered. I will try that. Thanks.

4. jamieniman

jamieniman

I'll keep looking..
    It actually already does this, the first path is the surrounding edge - and the rest of the inner paths are all handled independently (the thing thats wrong is white lines are visually confusing things)

5. jamieniman

jamieniman

Make sure your sprite has its transform values reset, and its a square sprite.

6. jamieniman

jamieniman

Make sure to leave some transparent pixels around the edge of your sprite.
    Also make sure the transforms are reset and it is a square image.

skord61709 likes this.
  7. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

On 2018.2, Puppet3D is spamming logs full of "MenuCommand is the only optional supported parameter." warnings. Offending scripts are at least AutoRigEditor.cs and CreateControls.cs.

Reason is pretty obvious as you have optional parameters for MenuItems when you shouldn't. Can these be fixed for the future release so we get rid of the warnings?

Considering you've had lots these issues for previous versions of the Puppet3D a lot too, seems weird that these still keep popping up as you surely know the cause already :) All you need to do is make another method for the menu entry if you need those optional parameters to be there.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
  8. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Get this Error with the latest version:

Assets/Puppet2D/Scripts/Editor/Puppet2D_FFD.cs(13,17): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `Puppet2D_FFDStoreData' could not be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?

9. henkesky

henkesky

Hi guys, i want to know if i can transfer my 3d motion capture data(3d character animations clips) to my 2d rigged skeletal character. using 2d puppet

10. jamieniman

jamieniman

Sometimes when you update an asset references to internal script variables lose their assignements.

Are you able to revert back, then instead of updating P2d using the asset store, import it into another project and copy the scripts over?

11. jamieniman

jamieniman

There isn't an out the box method.
    Theoretically you could write a script that would project the 3d skeletal positions into the 2D plane, and then you could attach the controls to these 2d moving positions. Sounds like an interesting thing to explore

12. henkesky

henkesky

Am not really good at coding, if i request for a paid custom script, will be able to do it ?

13. jamieniman

jamieniman

I had a quick try, the results didn't turn out too bad:

If you email me at puppet2D@gmail.com I'll send you the package so you can try it out.

(Not sure I have the capacity to support this for you, perhaps this will get you started though)

elijahrockshout likes this.
  14. henkesky

henkesky

@jamieniman the video is not available anymore. I will email, so you can send it to my email

15. jamieniman

jamieniman

sorry, just set it to be viewable

16. henkesky

henkesky

@jamieniman tried using the AutoRig feature, but can't get my character to animate. I added my single sprite t-pose character to the scene, then used the Make 'Guide button' to move the guides and set them to correct position. Then after that, i clicked the Auto Rig button, as you did in the video, but my character still doesn't animate. The bone is actually animating, but not the the sprite.

17. jamieniman

jamieniman

Anything you can send me to see whats going on would help me to get to the bottom of it (eg a video showing you do it, or even a package with your character before you click "Auto rig" would help)
    Just send to Puppet2D@gmail.com

18. Brogan89

Brogan89

Hey just updated to 2018.3 and now getting errors due to Unity's new prefabing structure.
    upload_2018-12-15_21-48-27.png

Is there going to be an update for this soon?

19. jamieniman

jamieniman

Oh - yes, I'll take a look this week.

jeo77 and Brogan89 like this.
  20. jeo77

jeo77

Just curious if there's any updates or thoughts on the 2018.3 compatibility. We've run into some of the same problems with the new prefab structure.

21. jamieniman

jamieniman

On it. I've made the fix my end - just need to fully test it before releasing the update.

jeo77 likes this.
  22. Ccrawler

Ccrawler

Hey! I'm using anima2D with some troubles, and I'm planning on switching to this tool, as it seems quite superior.

Before I buy it, is it compatitble with Unity 2018.3? Also, does it support something like anima2D spring bones, for making fabric and the like? Can you swich sprites/meshes at runtime?

Thanks!

23. Brogan89

Brogan89

Its not 100% ready for 2018.3 but the dev is on it.
    Have you tried Unity's internal 2D animation tools package? Its pretty damn good.

MadeFromPolygons and Ccrawler like this.
  24. jamieniman

jamieniman

I've submitted an update that fixes an issue with the new Prefab system in 2018.3. Hopefully it will be live soon.
    There isn't a spring bone feature currently.
    Sprites can easilly be switched.
    Meshes can be switched in a few different ways - either by skinning them to the same bones and toggling their renderers, or if they share the same UV space you can swap materials.

Brogan89 and Ccrawler like this.
  25. Ccrawler

Ccrawler

Thanks a lot for your quick reply!

I guess I can adapt the spring bone code to work with these bones, or at any rate just keep using anima2D for the fabric. Good to know meshes can be switched, that is a key feature for me.

Will get this tool as soon as the update is live. Thanks again!

Tried it, it's quite superior to anima2D in the rigging and skining process, but lacks some features such as the sprite/mesh switching and it's a bit green still.

26. Caffeen

Caffeen

A few years back I used Puppet2D together with the Dynamic Bone asset to animate a character. I was pretty happy with the results. The animation is a simple run cycle.

27. Ccrawler

Ccrawler

Looks amazing. Managed to adapt the spring bone code from anima2D to these bones, and it seem to work exactly as they did on anima2D, so I'm happy with that.

Another question:
    Is there a quick way to edit meshes like you do in anima2D or the unity 2Danimation package? That is, change their vertices and so forth?

28. jamieniman

jamieniman

Just to let everyone know I've release an update for Puppet2D that fixes it for the new prefab system. It also changes the way the bones are displayed - going forward you need the Puppet2D_bone component on bones. All the hidden bones can be deleted.

Brogan89 likes this.
  29. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

Is this safe and compatible to update the old projects?

30. Brogan89

Brogan89

Thanks for the update. I did post in here the other day asking about then but then saw it so I deleted my post.
    I am concerned though that I'm sure that the migration went smoothly following the instructions in the warning. I was hoping it would be automated. Is there a reason why it wasn't automated? I created a script that helped, but there are some oddities as seen below in the elbows and chest.
    bone sizer.gif

I used the following code

Code (CSharp):
    1. using Puppet2D;
    2. using System.Linq;
    3. using UnityEditor;
    4. using UnityEngine;
    6. public class Puppet2DBoneFixer : Editor
    7. {
    8.     [MenuItem("Mainframe/Puppet2D Bone Fixer")]
    9.     private static void RemoveHiddenBones()
    10.     {
    11.         var selectedObject = Selection.activeTransform.gameObject;
    13.         // 1. remove legacy stuff
    14.         var allHiddenBones = selectedObject.GetComponentsInChildren<Puppet2D_HiddenBone>(true);
    15.         Debug.Log($"Deleting {allHiddenBones.Length} Puppet2D_HiddenBone objects");
    16.         foreach (var bone in allHiddenBones.ToArray())
    17.             DestroyImmediate(bone.gameObject);
    19.         // 2. add Puppet2D_Bone to visible bones
    20.         var allVisible = selectedObject.GetComponentsInChildren<SpriteRenderer>()
    21.             .Where(x =>
    22.             {
    23.                 Sprite sprite = x.sprite;
    24.                 return sprite && (sprite.name == "BoneScaled" || sprite.name == "BoneNoJoint");
    25.             });
    27.         foreach (var sprite in allVisible.ToArray())
    28.         {
    29.             if (sprite.GetComponent<Puppet2D_Bone>())
    30.                 continue;
    32.             var newBone = sprite.gameObject.AddComponent<Puppet2D_Bone>();
    33.             newBone.Radius = 0.05f;
    35.             // 3. remove sprite renderer
    36.             DestroyImmediate(sprite);
    37.         }
    38.     }
    39. }
    which works by selecting the root object and using the menu item. But can you confirm that the steps in the script are correct? Thanks. I really didn't want to go through dozens of bones and apply the fixes by hand.

I also created another script to resize all the bones in unison which helps as well.

Code (CSharp):
    1. using Puppet2D;
    2. using UnityEngine;
    4. public class Puppet2DBoneSizer : MonoBehaviour
    5. {
    6.     [Range(0.01f, 0.1f)]
    7.     public float radius = 0.05f;
    9.     private void OnValidate()
    10.     {
    11.         var bones = GetComponentsInChildren<Puppet2D_Bone>();
    12.         foreach (var bone in bones)
    13.             bone.Radius = radius;
    14.     }
    15. }
    Which can also be attached to root object.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  31. PawDragon

PawDragon

I have a problem after updating to the new version.

After updating, some errors were shown in Unity's Console window.
    those messages said i have to take some actions.

As the messagea,
    I removed SpriteRenderer and added Puppet2d_Bone component in Bones.
    I also removed all hidden_bones.
    After all, I selected the bones and converted sprite.
    When I clicked the 'Bind Smooth Skin' button, the progress is freezed in 'Setting Outside Voxel Weight'.

OutOfMemoryException: Out of memory
    System.Collections.Generic.Queue`1[T].SetCapacity (System.Int32 capacity) (at <3845a180c26b4889bc2d47593a665814>:0)
    System.Collections.Generic.Queue`1[T].Enqueue (T item) (at <3845a180c26b4889bc2d47593a665814>:0)
    Puppet2D.Puppet2D_Skinning.GeosedicSkinWeights (UnityEngine.GameObject mesh, System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] selectedBones) (at Assets/Puppet2D/Scripts/Editor/Puppet2D_Skinning.cs:1228)
    Puppet2D.Puppet2D_Skinning.BindSmoothSkin (System.Int32 isGeosedic) (at Assets/Puppet2D/Scripts/Editor/Puppet2D_Skinning.cs:374)
    Puppet2D.Puppet2D_Editor.OnGUI () (at Assets/Puppet2D/Scripts/Editor/Puppet2D_Editor.cs:428)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at <d7ac571ca2d04b2f981d0d886fa067cf>:0)
    Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at <d7ac571ca2d04b2f981d0d886fa067cf>:0)
    System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at <d7ac571ca2d04b2f981d0d886fa067cf>:0)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:342)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:336)
    UnityEditor.HostView.InvokeOnGUI (UnityEngine.Rect onGUIPosition, UnityEngine.Rect viewRect) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:310)
    UnityEditor.DockArea.DrawView (UnityEngine.Rect viewRect, UnityEngine.Rect dockAreaRect, System.Boolean customBorder, System.Boolean floatingWindow, System.Boolean isBottomTab) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUI/DockArea.cs:361)
    UnityEditor.DockArea.OldOnGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUI/DockArea.cs:320)
    UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.DoOnGUI (UnityEngine.Event evt, UnityEngine.Matrix4x4 worldTransform, UnityEngine.Rect clippingRect, System.Boolean isComputingLayout) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/IMGUIContainer.cs:266)
    UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.HandleIMGUIEvent (UnityEngine.Event e, UnityEngine.Matrix4x4 worldTransform, UnityEngine.Rect clippingRect) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/IMGUIContainer.cs:438)
    UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.HandleIMGUIEvent (UnityEngine.Event e) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/IMGUIContainer.cs:421)
    UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.HandleEvent (UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.EventBase evt) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/IMGUIContainer.cs:401)
    UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.EventDispatcher.ProcessEvent (UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.EventBase evt, UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.IPanel panel) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/EventDispatcher.cs:511)
    UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.EventDispatcher.Dispatch (UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.EventBase evt, UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.IPanel panel, UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.DispatchMode dispatchMode) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/EventDispatcher.cs:307)
    UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.BaseVisualElementPanel.SendEvent (UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.EventBase e, UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.DispatchMode dispatchMode) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/Panel.cs:176)
    UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.UIElementsUtility.DoDispatch (UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.BaseVisualElementPanel panel) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/UIElementsUtility.cs:245)
    UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.UIElementsUtility.ProcessEvent (System.Int32 instanceID, System.IntPtr nativeEventPtr) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/UIElementsUtility.cs:68)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility.ProcessEvent (System.Int32 instanceID, System.IntPtr nativeEventPtr) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/IMGUI/GUIUtility.cs:179)

32. SaltwaterAssembly

SaltwaterAssembly

Hi. Purchased this today and after importing the plug-in and checking out the tutorial, we noticed the bone and control layers and scale box in our Puppet2D window s different from the documents in that it's missing the circle (bone) layer assignment.

Also, in the editor window, we can't adjust the size of the control gizmo by entering in a number, and sliding the value doesn't always work.

When we go to make a spline, we don't see the gizmo handles for the spline and bones until we finish spline.

We followed your tutorial (one with the croc) precisely to our own sprite and when we finished the Create FTD and tried to demonstrate the sprite/mesh moving etc with the controls/bones as in your demo, nothing happened. Why?

Overall seems quite broken at the moment and would like your advice or quick fix please.

We've redownloaded and reimported twice with the same results.

We're using Unity Ver 2018.3.0f2

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
  33. jamieniman

jamieniman

The controls should be made visible with the slider in the Puppet2D window. The bones have changed very recently. You can now resize each of the bones individually or together by changing the radius in the inspector. Just search for Puppet2d_bone in the hierarchy and select them all and change in the inspector.

Are you seeing the controls?
    It won't move with the bones until you skin the FFD controls to the bones. Have you done that step?

34. SaltwaterAssembly

SaltwaterAssembly

This is what we see in the inspector (see screenshot attached)

OK - so we have to extend all bones and their children to select them all to make it work. Is there a faster way where there are a lot of bones/children of bones (where we can just select the parent of bones and it selects all children)?

Attached Files:

35. Emphy

Emphy

Will this soon work with Unity 2019? Bought it just yet but all I'm getting is weird behaviour and errors...

Things like "'EventType.keyDown' is obsolete"

36. jamieniman

jamieniman

Did you let Unity do the upgrade? Try right clicking on the Puppet2D folder and clicking reimport, then saying yes to let it upgrade.
    (It should, for example, have changed it to uppercase KeyDown) https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/EventType.KeyDown.html

37. Ox02

Ox02

Thank you for created this intresting instruments! But It need some reworks!
    1)Sometimes function "Convert sprite to Mesh" (like FFD) breaks the geometry and create wrong or crooked mesh. This is unpleasantly, infortunatly.
    2)Working with Paint weights very difficult to work due to constant knocking down of verts weight. And it is very difficult to achieve smooth transitions. I hope this will be fixes:/
    3)Dont working Type of mesh 4-5. Just It does not work correctly in the future with Bind Smooth skin.
    4)I would like to customize verts weight after created FFD-Form. Now, mesh that is created very badly "cut" and this is nothing to do with it.
    5)!!!! Why dont work CTRL+Z in paint weight mod???!!! This is incredibly awkward.
    (now use version 1.5)

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  38. Talscar

Talscar

I took some time to look into this as I have the same problem. I found out the mistake in the code and it solved it, all the IK's still work and the structure works as it was intended.

Attached image shows my solution.
    Puppet2D bone fix.png

Essentially the children of bones were creating extra bones unintentionally.
    This is my 3rd day using this tool, I did not want to make my own because I have a lot of extra work to do.

At line 51 in the Puppet2D_Bone.cs script I put a check in during the foreach statement for children in transform. I am checking if a bone script is on the next object and if it is the script will do what was written, otherwise it will ignore the transform.

Code (CSharp):
    1.                 //Gizmos.DrawWireSphere(transform.position, Radius);
    2.                 foreach (Transform child in transform)
    3.                 {
    4.                     if (child.transform.GetComponent("Puppet2D_Bone") != null)
    5.                     {
    6.                         Vector3 nudge = (child.position - transform.position).normalized * (Radius * .7f);
    8.                         float scaler = Vector3.Distance(child.position - nudge, transform.position + nudge);
    9.                         //Gizmos.DrawWireMesh(transform.position, new Vector3(scaler, scaler, scaler)) ;
    10.                         Vector3 look = child.position - transform.position;
    11.                         Quaternion rot = Quaternion.identity;
    12.                         if (look != Vector3.zero)
    13.                             rot = Quaternion.LookRotation(look, Vector3.forward);
    15.                         Gizmos.color = col;
    16.                         Gizmos.DrawMesh(_mesh, 0, transform.position + nudge, rot, new Vector3(Radius, Radius, scaler));
    17.                     }
    18.                 }
    jamieniman, please feel free to use this solution to solve the problem. I have a ton of QA I could give as I am adding it to my GDD to overcome the obstacles and it's helping me with a smoother workflow as important information is not clear in documentation or the tutorial from a first time user perspective and may require some highlighting or iteration. You might have an email from me about the creation of bones from the form on your website.

Hope this solution helps everyone as intended. But currently requires you to add it yourself.

Brogan89 likes this.
  39. jamieniman

jamieniman

excellent, I'll have a look over it, and then add it to the next release.

Edit: I've just looked - it was clearly an oversight, ive updated it and submitted it for next release

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  40. Talscar

Talscar

The next problem I have found which feels like a bug is the Orients and IK's rotate uncontrollably. You'll see I am using Orient's as they seemed like they would work better over the IK's Infinitely rotating during editor when attached with textures. They seem to work as intended prior to adding textures.

You'll see in the video I am just re-positioning the Camera and all of the Orients are just rotating with every marginal movement of the camera.

EDIT:
    I am still trying to use the Tool and somehow the IK's fixed themselves. It seems like placing the IK's on after binding to textures makes them work correctly I think?

Also the Spine system is completely broken and out of control on my model.
    Based on the issues I am having, I am tempted to make a script to record a default position for Memory as Ctrl Z does not fix what problems I am having with relocating the body parts using the Gizmos.

Getting all the locations for every bone and body part, and having a default position to fix any bugs and glitches that can't be solved with Ctrl Z, at this point the tool feel's like it wants to tell me I am bad at setting it up and using it. So it breaks everything so that I have to restart unity and retrace my steps.

For me it is currently 3:51PM on the 12/07/2019

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  41. jamieniman

jamieniman

I know we're talking separately by email.
    For others - the issue with the rig above is that the controls got parented to the bones, so it was causing a feedback loop.

42. skord61709

skord61709

How do we update to the latest Puppet2D if we have already purchased?

43. jamieniman

jamieniman

If you go to re-download it from the asset store (within unity) it should give you the option to update and then import it to your project.
    (Make sure your back up before updating - as you should whenever you update an asset - I've known things to go wrong with meta files occasionally)

skord61709 likes this.
  44. elijahrockshout

elijahrockshout

I don't know if this has been asked before or not, but has anyone gotten the auto rigged Puppet 2d character with the platformer animation pack animations working with the Corgi engine? I didn't think it would be tooo hard but I can't figure it out. Just wondering if anyone else has any knowledge they could drop for me. Thanks!

45. Ox02

Ox02

Hello, @jamieniman !
    In the last time I confronted with some problems in skinning part. After function "Bind smooth skin" I try to paint skin weight, but skinning either not saving (stay the same as after entered bind smooth skin) or broken. What`s wrong?

P.S. In Paint Weight mode all is well

46. jamieniman

jamieniman

That's strange, not sure why the weights wouldn't be saved.

Are you able to make a video showing it? (if you're on windows OBS Studio is good, and free)

47. jamieniman

jamieniman

Haven't used corgi - what you having trouble with?

48. elijahrockshout

elijahrockshout

Trying to use the Puppet 2D auto rigged character animations directly with the Corgi Character Controller and animator component. If I used the Puppet 2D Global Controller and Animation Controller, I couldn't use the Corgi Character Controller. I think I may have found a fix, in just exporting the autorigged animations out as .PNG sequence and then turning them into animation sequences. This way, I can use the animation sequences directly in the Corgi Engine Animator Component. I just need some time to try my theory out, and I'll report back my findings. If it works, I may make a short tutorial video showing how I did it.

49. Ox02

Ox02

Good day!
    Yeah, I did it.

50. jamieniman

jamieniman

It may be you don't need to export a png sequence - have you tried making the global control a child of a gameObject with the corgi character controller?