Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Puppet Flight (March 08 Demo)

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by nickavv, Mar 2, 2008.

1. nickavv

nickavv

It's finally ready for a test run! In this Demo; take Chirin, the brave puppet defender, out into the Puppet Training Grounds. Along the way you'll be learning from handy dialog boxes how to utilize and control every element of the game, from movement and shooting, to the HUD and targeting enemies. Quality settings can be chosen on the title screen by clicking one of the four Robot Flyers (a common grunt in the Robot forces). Have fun!

http://www.wanilla.net/site/demos.php?game=2

We've spent the last 24 hours trying to wring every last bug out of this demo, and maximizing performance even on much older graphics cards, but we still may have missed something. Let us know if you find anything that shouldn't be!

While you're at it, feel free to Donate towards our Unity Pro fund, and please join the Forum too!

2. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Congrats!

I did notice, however, that when I replayed the game, it was inconsistent whether it carried the lost health over to a new game, and my score carried over to every new game!

3. tbelgrave

tbelgrave

Pretty cool effort, one thing about the help boxes is that they're way to frequent, and the typewriter text is not a very effective way to read, especially when there's so much text. Try to find an effective way not to break up the gameplay so much. Interesting idea tho keep going!

~t

4. tim

tim

I agree with lildragn. You could save a lot of text by showing a picture of a keyboard mouse with the controls labeled. This is also a lot more specific than "fire button" and "secondary button", so people won't have to figure out which keys those refer to.
    Doing that would also help people realize that they can use wasd to move (instead of the arrow keys, which is what one is instructed to use) and not become cramped/frustrated because they can't easily reach all of the controls with one hand.

I like your robots.

5. nickavv

nickavv

Little Angel - Ah, you're right. Uh, consider it some extra challenge or something.

lildragn - I put the text boxes in like that because I figure that new players feel that getting the controls and interface explained to them in words is useful and important. Plus, this is the only level in the game with text like that, and is optional.

tim - Like I said, optional level for people who like controls explained to them. Also, I called everything "the Shoot Button" and the "Up, Down, Left, and Right Buttons", because the controls are customizable, so those are what the buttons will be called in the Input area. Thanks for the comment about the robots. ;)

6. Dafu

Dafu

Congratulations Moldorma. This is your second game posting in a 2 or 3 weeks no? Good job.

Much like the previous posters I found the text explanation a little irritating. Like tim suggested having some of the gameplay illustrated with pictures would be better. Also referring to buttons as "shoot button" or "secondary button" is a little confusing. I realize your controls are customizable, but couldn't you just read the control settings and generate the appropriate text? ex ("Press the [space] button to shoot").

I recommend that you make the colors on the intro screen a little more vibrant, they look dark and moody, whereas the rest of the game is very vibrant (which I like!).

Keep going! I think you're a great inspiration to the community.

7. nickavv

nickavv

Thanks Dafu. Wanilla is sorta in full overdrive mode. ;)

As for saying the name of the currently selected control, is that possible? (why do I even ask? It's Unity for gods sake, everything's possible!) Good plan, I'll get on that.

Alright, I can brighten the title screen a bit. ;)

And thanks for your comments and support. I really appreciate it!

8. evicubix

evicubix

congrats for the release Moldorma,
    looks pretty nice so far :D

i guess everything is already commented by everyone else,
    btw just a minor thing, i found that the skin weight on his left shoulder/armpit causing a stretch on the model (it's only happening on Fast mode though, so it's not a big deal actually :p)

9. nickavv

nickavv

I noticed that too, but I'm kinda a newbie when it comes to rigging models, and haven't ever dealt with weight before. Can anyone offer any advice?

10. Lka

Lka

Too much text to read and.. slow typewrite! The effect is nice but it break the action. After 5 or 6 help box I closed the demo.

11. nickavv

nickavv

As I said, the level is optional, for those who like to learn how to play and have things explained to them piece by piece in detail. I personally think the text scrolls at a decent speed. And at the end of the text boxes you get the rest of the level (quite a bit of it) of unbroken action. Maybe I should add a "click to skip" or "click to make text just magically be finished typing" note to the bottom of the box. I'd reupload the demo of course.