Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Third Party [PUN2[ Only one client changes value

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by kqmdjc8, Sep 28, 2019.

1. kqmdjc8

kqmdjc8

Hello, I have a problem that only one client seems to affect a value in script. Here is the enemy script

Code (CSharp):
    1. float health;
    2.     public void Update()
    3.     {
    4.         DisplayHealth();
    5.     }
    6.     public void DisplayHealth()
    7.     {
    8.         healthText.text = health.ToString();
    9.     }
    10.     public void OnPhotonSerializeView(PhotonStream stream, PhotonMessageInfo info)
    11.     {
    12.         if (stream.IsWriting)
    13.         {
    14.             stream.SendNext(health);
    15.         }
    16.         else
    17.         {
    18.             this.health = (float)stream.ReceiveNext();
    19.         }
    20.     }
    And here is the bullet script (bullet is instantiated by player and specific player is owner - I've read that only one player should check for collisions - that's why there is this if(photonView.IsMine))

Code (CSharp):
    1. private void OnCollisionEnter2D(Collision2D collision)
    2.     {
    3.         if (!photonView.IsMine) return;
    4.         if (collision.gameObject.tag == "Enemy")
    5.         {
    6.             collision.gameObject.GetComponent<EnemyController>().health -= 10;
    7.         }
    8.     }
    When one player shoots enemy health updates on all clients. When another player shoots enemy then health changes and goes back to previous value.

2. kqmdjc8

kqmdjc8

I'd like to add that if I remove this from collision checking
    Code (CSharp):
    1. if (!photonView.IsMine) return;
    then the value syncs between all clients but is glitchy and jumps like crazy but after all it displays propper value

3. kqmdjc8

kqmdjc8

SOLVED: I've started using RPCs and it works like a dream but I still have no clue what I was doing wrong.

4. tobiass

tobiass

Guessing here: You tried to update the enemy's health in OnCollisionEnter2D. However, the enemy is likely not under your control, so the other player's client gets to send the health value. Meaning: Nobody can change "my" health directly. Anyone who wants to do that has to send an RPC to me, so I change it and send the new value.