Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Publishing via a company

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ErikAndroid, Dec 1, 2019.

1. ErikAndroid

ErikAndroid

Hi!

I was working on a project in the last 6 months and now I am close to publishing. This project was made in a mentoring program, so it is non-commercial and created on educational purposes.
    My question is, if I want to publish my app via a company with more then $200k anually revenue, should they buy Unity if they are not using it? They are only publishing the app(as I said before non-commercial app).

I also contacted the sales support but I havent got any answers in the past 3 weeks and the app should be published before 20th december.

Thanks for the advices.

2. TonyLi

TonyLi

I am not a lawyer. Consult a lawyer, not random people on the internet, for a definitive answer.

That said, it sounds like you're looking for a company to act as a distributor. You will only be providing them an executable build to sell. In this case, you (your business entity as the developer) are separate from the distributing company. They do not need a Unity license. If you receive over $100k total from this distributor and others, you will need to buy a license.

Metron and ErikAndroid like this.
  3. ErikAndroid

ErikAndroid

Ty for your answer, helps me a lot!

4. Vaupell

Vaupell

I would see it like most indie developers, do with Valve when releasing on steam.

I doubt that Valve have to purchase a license for them to distribute my software, in fact they charge me.
    And when i reach the limit set by Unity i then upgrade with a pro license, and still valve don't have to.

Consider the roles of the different entities.
    Developer/Manufacturer = License holder and IP owner.
    Publisher = Market and Sells for you
    Distributor = Sells for you

In some cases these cover each other, where i company does one or more of these, and usually for indie development all except distribution is done by themselves.

My advice on this matter, if in doubt ask Unity directly.
    And always act in good faith.