Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Publishing to the web

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by elias723, Jun 25, 2006.

1. elias723

elias723

I was just wondering what providers you guys use to publish webplayers to the web. I can't find any free domain names that give me enough bandwidth to get my games running on multiple computers. Do you all pay for service, or am I just not looking hard enough?

2. gsnyder

gsnyder

Paying for service, here. Originally, I was going to try to use .MAC. However I ultimately decided to set up a dedicated Apache server and use my own ISP.

Be careful, though, as some ISPs will actively block default webserver ports (80, I believe). My ISP has an 'Extreme High Speed' service with no bandwidth restrictions...so it's pretty much like paying for a webhost service as well.

-Gary

3. Morgan

Morgan

I pay for hosting here too.

4. Samantha

Samantha

Who's your ISP? And do they provide service to any parts of the US?

5. Sync1B

Sync1B

I pay too, but its really not that much. The best I have found so far are Web Hosting Buzz for hosting and Name Cheap for my domain registration. Actually Jeff found these but I have not been able to find better! :D You can also get a domain name only then use some free web hosting like DotEasy. Its actually pretty good hosting considering, you get 100mb of storage, 1000mb of monthly traffic, and its free. Hope that helps.

Bill

6. mjjw

mjjw

I pay for my hosting, and I wouldn't recommend my webhost toanyone. Let's just say they are big, had some problems with Safari a couple of years ago and their service sucks.

Once content is on the site everything is fine, but uploading content to the site is slow and often drops out so it can take me sometimes more than 1 frustrating hour just to get a 1.5 meg file onto the web site!

I've been investigating moving webhost when my current contract is up and this time I am looking at more than just price.

7. jocphone

jocphone

I have had this with ftp on a mac before and found that turning off or on 'passive' mode cured it.

That may not be your problem but it's worth a try and saved me hours of wasted time waiting for files to upload.

8. mjjw

mjjw

Nope, it's not the problem I've tried passive mode. I get it from my mac or my PC at home, and also my PC at work. Also it usually takes about 3 attempts to get connected. I'm really not very impressed.

9. jocphone

jocphone

Fair enough, just one of my hosting companies servers really takes ages to upload if passive mode is switched on.

Sounds like you've just got a dud then, unfortunately.