Search Unity

Publishing questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by robymv, Jan 26, 2018.

1. robymv

robymv

Hi, guys! Our indie group has been working on a project for more than a year. Now we have almost 2/3 of it done and begin to think about publishing process that seems more complecated than the game itself. Before we have done some games for mobile devices, but this time the game is more serious. It is a platform game made in Unity. What would you recommend to use to publish it (XBox, Nintendo, Steam, Play Station)? All your advice will be really appreciated.

This is the link to make an idea on the game.

2. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

First of all, make Steam your primary focus, because it is easily the most welcoming towards indie devs. As for consoles, here are links to get started:
    http://www.xbox.com/en-US/developers/id
    https://www.playstation.com/en-us/develop/
    https://developer.nintendo.com/

Each console platform has a strict NDA, so devs can't really comment beyond posting the links to get started. Generally speaking, console platforms tend to only be interested in very polished games that are ready to ship. Don't show games to consoles until they are completely done and already available on Steam.

theANMATOR2b, GibTreaty and robymv like this.
  3. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I wouldn't leave it this late. I'd start communications at the point where you can clearly demonstrate a) a clear vision for your finished product, b) enough product to demonstrate that you can build the rest, and c) that you mean business (in both senses).

If you're looking at selling the game, make sure that your "indie group" has thought through all the ramifications of this. Trying to figure that out after money starts to flow is a recipe for disaster.

robymv, Martin_H and theANMATOR2b like this.
  4. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Good advice above. In relation to the example presented in the video -
    To me the game is not good enough quality to be on consoles. I know there are some low quality products on consoles, but those are exceptions not the general consensus. Until the game reflects at least quality equal to a current generation console platformer - I wouldn't dedicate time towards the effort attempting to get it on console. Although idxbox seems to be quite relaxed compared to other platforms.
    Steam is definitely an option, but again - I think the quality of the game is lower than I personally would submit to steam. I don't think you'd get much traffic and may not recoup the $100 submission fee which isn't returned until the game has grossed $1000.00 in sales.

The game does look like it has potential - and could definitely be a good candidate for all mobile platforms in its current state. Also you might consider other store fronts, gamejolt, itch.io, and others which could be a solid fit for the game.

Not to despair - the game has potential, but needs a lot of work - especially in the character controller, animations and standard platformer, player interaction with the environment.

robymv and Martin_H like this.