Search Unity

Publishing on the Gear VR without the OSIGS?

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by jjennings1990, Jul 20, 2017.

1. jjennings1990

jjennings1990

Hello Everybody my studio has recently been using ConstructVR (https://www.constructvr.io/) to test and Distribute our GEARVR apps to clients and for internal testing. It basically increased the speed of our distribution process by allowing us to ignore the need to request collections of DEVICE ID's that would change on a per-project basis .

Unfortunately ConstructVR is shutting down which means we'll have to revert to the cumbersome and tedious process of including the OSIGS in our future builds which we really want to avoid. Are there any alternatives or similar solutions that allow us to ignore the OSIG requirements on GearVR and still publish to new phones? Any and all alternative ideas are appreciated , thank you !

2. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

They didn't really bypass the OSIG requirements, rather they automated the process of making it by injecting it after the fact into the apk before install. That's why the install happened from the construct vr app. I assume the reason they are shutting down is primarily the cost with the server side resources not the injection app.

I could probably make something similar, however I don't see the sales being able to make up for the server side costs. My impression is it isn't that useful without the server side part (invites, etc) correct? This would mean moving the apk to your cloud sync provider manually (dropbox, dropsync, folder sync, google drive, etc.) and then running an injector app (like the constructvr app was) to install. This would eliminate the need for server side costs but would be more manual.

1. Download injector android app
    2. Build Unity .apk (no osig required)
    3. Move .apk to cloud storage of your choice
    4. Download .apk to phone from cloud storage
    5. Run injector app on .apk (automatically adds osig of device running and installs app)
    6. Run Unity App

I don't see this as that helpful correct, still too manual? Most of these steps were in construct VR but they had a lot of server side stuff for invites and essentially were the cloud provider themselves. You essentially were still doing all these steps but it felt like that you were doing a few less. However the cloud resources probably cost them a fair bit.

jjennings1990 likes this.
  3. spacefrog

spacefrog

The process can be implemented even locally by extracting the apk, adding the osig files for new devices in the folder tree and repackage and resign the whole thing using android platform toolset and jarsigner. All that can essentially happen within a batch file. I did this several times with great success
    Only thing is that you still have to create/download the osig file from oculus, don't know whether this can be automated too

4. Joits

Joits

Do you have an example of the batch file used for such a process? :)

5. peterept2

peterept2

Joits likes this.