Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Publishing from Unity to ROS at high rates - [Queue Full, Messages getting dropped]

Discussion in 'Robotics' started by rgateragael, May 20, 2022.

1. rgateragael

rgateragael

Hello,

I have been trying to publish ROS image messages at 20Hz from Unity to ROS (being run in a docker container). The first issue I encountered was the following (see snipped).
    upload_2022-5-19_19-49-8.png

Per the following post (Forum Post #1120414) for ROS packages versions above 0.4.0. the networking layer should be faster and able to handle heavy traffic.

What I've tried:
    * increasing the buffer size and connections parameters in the server.py file in the ros_tcp_endpoint ROS package to buffer_size=4096, connections=10000 respectively.

* increasing the k_DefaultPublisherQueueSize (ROSConnection.cs) line 61 to 1000

* the ROSConnection.cs has a ClearMessageQueue method that should take care of the problem

The second problem is that the messages are not being received in docker at the same interval as they are being published. See example for when I tried at 2 hz.
    upload_2022-5-19_20-14-0.png

2. LaurieUnity

LaurieUnity

Unity Technologies

Hi, if you're using ROS 1, we have a C++ implementation of the Endpoint that may help with these performance issues. Try checking out the "Roscpp" branch of ROS-TCP-Endpoint. (If you're launching it with the launch file it should just work; if you want to use rosrun the command is `rosrun ros_tcp_endpoint endpoint`)

This version is still somewhat work in progress but should be fully functional. Let us know if you run into any bugs.

3. rgateragael

rgateragael

Hello @LaurieUnity, thanks a lot for your reply. One thing I failed to mention is that I am using ROS2.

4. Evilschnuff

Evilschnuff

Will there be an update to the ROS2 branch with the cpp version? I am having similar performance issues with receiving pointclouds.