Search Unity

Publishing an iPhone / iPad app to itch.io

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by John_Vella, Aug 11, 2018.

1. John_Vella

John_Vella

Hi,

My Web search skills have deserted me. All I am after is a step by step guide on how to publish an app using Unity, on a Mac Mini, to itch.io

I did have an Apple Dev license, which cost almost $90 and I made nowhere near that much back, so renewing the license is not an option,

I have uploaded some Windows and Android apps to itch.io and would like to make my Apple games available there as well.

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggections, or hopefully a link to a step by step guide...!

:)

2. Moonjump

Moonjump

It should be identical to an Android app. Both are essentially identical as a Unity project. Remove any platform specific APIs (e.g. Game Center) and convert the controls for the new platform if needed.

3. John_Vella

John_Vella

My issue is that once I have done the build I have a folder full of files, and I don't know what I am meant to upload to the itch.io website. With Android builds you get an apk file. Simple. This does not appear to be the case with ios builds.

deus0 likes this.
  4. MaskedMouse

MaskedMouse

The only legal way to publish an iOS app is through the Apple App Store. You will need a license for this. Only for development purposes you can build your app to your own personal iOS device through a development signed build without a developer license. So you can develop your game until you think it is ready to be published to the store. After development you need to get a license. Apple has quite strict rules for an app to be published, keep that in mind when developing.

I don't know itch.io, but they cannot host your app legally even if you had a license or even if they had a license. After looking around a bit on itch.io, I only see links to the Apple App Store where you can download the iOS app.

If they were hosting enterprise signed ipa's they would be hosting apps illegally. As it is supposed to be for In-House distribution only. I've seen companies abuse this, it is not allowed though.

If you're searching for a full publication of an iOS app to the App store there are lots of guides online. It is quite a long process to explain. You'll need a developer license, an App page made in itunesconnect, an XCode project (iOS build, built by Unity. That folder with lots of files you have)

rushjs likes this.
  5. deus0

deus0

So theres no way we can just automate a build for IOS then test it using itch..? seems annoying/impractical.