Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Publishing a game clone just for portfolio purpose?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by israel_uriel, Aug 24, 2019.

1. israel_uriel

israel_uriel

Hi, So I starting building a Tetris Clone because of some of the job applies required a game/app published.
    The main purpose was to present the UX/UI design and game mechanics showcase, but after reading some of the regulations of copyright-related to EA's Tetris Game I'm not really sure if I can publish it, I mean It will not cause revenue nor in ads nor in-game or game price, will be totally free, as stated before it is just for portfolio.

Maybe then, someone will help me think in an alternative way to be able to present this kind of projects or maybe I'll start a new game.

Thanks in advance.

2. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Throw it up on Kongregate. The game is technically published, but it won't get enough attention to actually attract copyright problems.

3. israel_uriel

israel_uriel

Still, I'm doubtful. It will be great if a site like artstation but for publishing games for another people just for reviews, again just for growing up skills. Or maybe there's already one.

Thanks Kiwasi

4. Moonjump

Moonjump

Having a free game does not make a lot of difference. Copyright litigation is often about the damage to the IP holder, with the profits made secondary. Your game may be too obscure to attract attention, but who releases a game with the intention of not getting noticed?

In your case it is a bit different. You are looking for a job, presumably in games as you need to have a published game. Publishing a clone shows a lack of understanding and respect for IP. Not a good position to take when approaching companies that create IP.

So I think it is a even stronger case than usual to take the approach of being "inspired by" instead of "copying". Make your own spin on the game, mixing in other elements.

5. frosted

frosted

... Change the shape of the pieces if you're worried about copyright violation. But tbh, I don't know if having a tetris clone is going to really do much in terms of portfolio piece.

If I were hiring game devs, I would absolutely put up a 'published game' requirement, and a tetris clone wouldn't cut it.

6. israel_uriel

israel_uriel

Thank you Moonjump and frosted, I understand that's why I was concerned about publishing the game, I'm working on a new game now. I really thought having a published game in regards to a clone actually will have an impact from getting hired, but I see what you are trying to say. So I'll keep a clean portfolio and make something original. I do like to dev my own scripts and design, but still, a clone is a clone and as I understand from you, it will cut nothing.

7. frosted

frosted

TBH, I think a clone would be fine as portfolio piece. But the clone needs to be more ambitious than tetris. I bet you could find a step by step tutorial for building tetris in unity. If you are applying for a job as a game designer, then original design is important.

If you are applying for programming or generalist, then the overall execution should be above what you can find on youtube. The game itself does not matter all that much, but showing tetris doesn't demonstrate capability.

Ryiah likes this.
  8. Antypodish

Antypodish

Clones in portfolio could give an opportunity at most, for cheap coder monkey. Forget about anything more ambitious like game designer, until shown something of your own original make.

9. frosted

frosted

Someone comes to me with a solid clone of the controls and visuals for Gears of War's cover system and I would not think twice about hiring them to do complex, detailed work.

Someone comes to me with a solid clone of the combat animations and transitions in Witcher 3, they get the job.

Someone comes to me with a clone of a candy crush, they get tossed in the garbage bin.

Most developers could not clone gears of war's cover system, as evidenced by years of inferior AAA cloning attempts. Anyone could clone a candy crush.

Not all clones are created equal.

10. Antypodish

Antypodish

You got good practical examples. I haven't specified, sure, but I was targeting smaller titles/features. I suppose that because, there are tons of clones and examples, how to make them. So you are right on the spot.

When considering your combat case of Witcher or Covering of Gears, that stuff which most likely are not on internet. So making something similar, looks like valid challenge and worth to showcase.

11. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

That's a good move.
    Making something original, is really a much better idea. Nice.

12. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

To be fair, two of those require a heck of a lot more than just programming and some off-the-shelf art. They probably took teams of people to implement. I'd hire someone who can replace a team, too! ;)

Martin_H likes this.
  13. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Having a clone game in your portfolio is about as useful as having a student project: not very.

"Commercially released" is different from "released" and most places want to see commercially released products.

As others have said , try and keep your portfolio original or it could actually hinder your chances at success instead of improve it.

14. frosted

frosted

Yeah that's 100% true. :D

Still, the point stands - not all clones are equal. There are plenty of clones that can land you a job if you execute well.

Recently, I was browsing some freelancer artists. A few of them have 'clones' of famous AAA characters. In fact, I'd say that the use of recognizable characters probably helps them stand out.

Just don't use the word "clone" - use "inspiration" or if its more of an exact copy, call it a "re-creation".

Being able to recreate well known and complex game behaviors, and do it very well, is absolutely a plus if someone is considering hiring you.

Ryiah likes this.
  15. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Clones for portfolio work is very common, this half life 2 apartment comes to mind

Though like other have said, tetris might be too basic

frosted, Martin_H and Ryiah like this.
  16. Martin_H

Martin_H

Don't mess with Tetris, they take the ownership of their intellectual property very serious, no matter whether you make money from it or not.

Cloning something for a portolio is fine, but clone something that has a chance of impressing people (Tetris won't cut it). If you release something, I'd clone in a way that you don't have to fear legal issues. The GOW cover system was a great example imho.

17. iamthwee

iamthwee

Does that mean you no longer have my resume / cv anymore buddy?