Search Unity

Publish to UWP platform by IL2CPP throws error: "IOException: Win32 IO returned 234"

Discussion in 'Windows' started by DataMeshDev, Jan 24, 2019.

1. DataMeshDev

DataMeshDev

We met a strange problem, please help us~~
    We want to publish our project to UWP platform by IL2CPP. It works fine on some of our computer, but on others, it throws a strange exception, as follow:

Unity version: 2018.3.0~2018.3.1
    VS version: 15.9.5
    Api Compatibility Level: .Net standard 2.0

This problem will appear even we try a Empty project on some computer, and it will never appear on other computer. We can't find the different between these computers, they have same version of Unity/VS/Windows.

And, if we change the target SDK to lower (i.c. 14393), it will work. but, we must use target higher than 16299, so we can't fix it by this way.

Could anybody help us to fix this problem? Thanks a lot~~~

Attached Files:

2. Peter77

Peter77

3. DataMeshDev

DataMeshDev

4. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Can you record a Windows Performance Trace of the build failing using Windows Performance Recorder with File I/O checkbox checked and then send me the resulting file via a private message? A guide how to record it can be found here: https://files.unity3d.com/zilys/ETWPerfGuide/data/RecordingTraceOnPC.html

By the way, is it always the same file it fails to copy?

5. DataMeshDev

DataMeshDev

OK, we can record the trace for you.
    It's always failed on the same file.

By the way, in our 5 computers, 2 of them build success only installed Unity2018.3.0, and 3 build failed has installed Unity2018.3.1. And, it seems that, if a computer has installed 2018.3.1, it will failed even use 2018.3.0 version.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  6. alpahbeta2000

alpahbeta2000

I have some error on 2018.3.7 and 2018.3.3 with different windows sdk(17763,17134,16299)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  7. wechat_os_Qy05YERT1W-oBLkdKibbzpvH0

wechat_os_Qy05YERT1W-oBLkdKibbzpvH0

Has the problem been solved?

8. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

9. dyhd

dyhd

i meet it too, Win32 IO returned 234. Path:
    when this error is happened i use File.Delete to delete a file,
    that file is named too long, and file size is zero,
    i saw other people meet it and solved this problem, that is Shorten file path
    so i think some string in the API cannot to long
    Unity 2018.2.21,

otherwise, i use Unity2018.2.6 is fine,
    Weird

Attached Files:

10. JEDIWOLF_CN

JEDIWOLF_CN

me 2...

IOException: Win32 IO returned 234. Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\References\10.0.17763.0\Windows.ApplicationModel.CommunicationBlocking.CommunicationBlockingContract\2.0.0.0\Windows.ApplicationModel.CommunicationBlocking.CommunicationBlockingContract.winmd" or "Temp\StagingArea\Data\Managed\Windows.ApplicationModel.CommunicationBlocking.CommunicationBlockingContract.winmd
    System.IO.File.Copy (System.String sourceFileName, System.String destFileName, System.Boolean overwrite) (at <d7ac571ca2d04b2f981d0d886fa067cf>:0)
    PostProcessUAPIl2Cpp.CopyFrameworkAssemblies () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/PlatformDependent/MetroPlayer/Extensions/Managed/PostProcessUAPIl2Cpp.cs:339)
    PostProcessWinRT.Process () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/PlatformDependent/MetroPlayer/Extensions/Managed/PostProcessWinRT.cs:160)
    UnityEditor.WSA.BuildPostprocessor.PostProcess (UnityEditor.Modules.BuildPostProcessArgs args) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/PlatformDependent/MetroPlayer/Extensions/Managed/ExtensionModule.cs:122)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

Build completed with a result of 'Failed'

UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow+BuildMethodException: 2 errors
    at UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow+DefaultBuildMethods.BuildPlayer (UnityEditor.BuildPlayerOptions options) [0x00234] in D:\unity\Editor\Mono\BuildPlayerWindowBuildMethods.cs:191
    at UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow.CallBuildMethods (System.Boolean askForBuildLocation, UnityEditor.BuildOptions defaultBuildOptions) [0x0007f] in D:\unity\Editor\Mono\BuildPlayerWindowBuildMethods.cs:97

11. JEDIWOLF_CN

JEDIWOLF_CN

I delete the file " C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\References\10.0.17763.0\Windows.ApplicationModel.CommunicationBlocking.CommunicationBlockingContract\2.0.0.0\Windows.ApplicationModel.CommunicationBlocking.CommunicationBlockingContract.winmd" to build successfully.

12. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

How deeply nested your Unity projects on your filesystem? Did you try putting them at the root of the drive or something?

13. jediwolf

jediwolf

D disk root directory
    Project name capitalized

14. jediwolf

jediwolf

Doubt that the name of the duplicated file is too long, Because this file name is the longest in the entire SDK directory...

15. zzimagination

zzimagination

i also delete the file,and build success;

16. edwardbaoli1

edwardbaoli1

I met the same problem, but after I delete the file, I won't debug any errors until I open the project by VS2017, and it warning: "Cannot find Visual Studio 2015 (v140) generating tools. Install Visual Studio 2015 (v140) can use Visual Studio 2015 (v140) generating tools to generate",
    If I ignore the warning and keep going, it won't receive any errors until I install the AppDevPackage on UWP by powershell, then the powershell feedback, I translated part of it in English is :"Add-AppxPackage: Deployment Failure, reason is HRESULT:0x80073CF3...", then, the app installed failure,I have no idea with that, please help me.

17. WuHaoDataMesh

WuHaoDataMesh

Finally, we found the solution of this issue.
    The reason of this error is, the full path of the file in Windows SDK is too too too long... The length of the path in default install folder is 231 characters. System.IO.File.Copy can't handle this.

To fix it, you can install windows SDK in a shorter folder, like "C:\Z\", to reduce the length of file path. but, unfortunately, you can't change this install path when you have installed any windows SDK. so, you must do as follow:

1. Uninstall Visual Studio and all windows SDK.
    2. Install windows SDK FIRST, and you can select a short root path. ( Important! if you install VS first, it will install a set of windows SDK to default folder and you can't change it!)
    3. Install Visual Studio

And then, you can publish UWP project again! Hooooooray~~~

18. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

I'm still trying to chase this down. I've never received a trace from @DataMeshDev and we haven't been able to reproduce this locally either. Could anyone that can reproduce this record a windows performance trace for me?

19. wizard_ll

wizard_ll

just delete it.