Search Unity

Publish my game in China

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ebenknot, May 10, 2021.

1. ebenknot

ebenknot

Hello, i dont know where to put this so General i think is ok. 3 publishers have contacted me to publish my game with them in China because to publish a mobile game in China on your own is very difficult. I would like to know if anyone has had any experience publishing their game in China. I'm having a lot of downloads in China through google play, but obviously due to the low ECPM I don't earn the same money as for example in Japan or the USA. So I know it's worth taking it out in China. I tell you 3 companies: 233Playground, AppInChina and Apptutti. Thanks in advance to everyone. All the best.

2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

I don't know anything about those 3 companies, but a word of thumb as an indie dev is whenever anyone contacts you to promote or publish your existing game, it is always a scam.

neginfinity, koirat and xjjon like this.
  3. xjjon

xjjon

;) And if anyone wants to see for themselves, publish roll a ball tutorial onto android and see how quickly you get people wanting to "publish" or "market" your game for you.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  4. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

You get a lot of the same garbage when you add a game to Steam. It is probably the same on every publishing platform. I usually reply with a courteous email declining their offer, but it is probably better to pretend you never received it.

xjjon likes this.
  5. MDADigital

MDADigital

We just disabled sales on our game becasue we will focus on marketing our new content update without new players joining too early. Got atleast 50 discord and mail requests for keys becasue the game was taken down for sales

Joe-Censored likes this.
  6. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Been contacted by the exact same companies before (AppInChina and AppTutti), they are scams like 99% of the time and a waste of time the other 1%.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  7. Jmonroe

Jmonroe

Apptutti is a Unity partner store of the Unity Distribution Portal. Like any publisher they take a large cut, 50% if I recall.

https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.purchasing.udp@1.2/manual/Partner_Stores.html

The AppinChina sales rep tells me they work closely with Unity but I do not see any mention of their relationship from the Unity side. I've never heard of 233Playground until this thread.

I'll be choosing one of these publishers in the coming months. Perhaps I can come back with a review, but I don't think I'll have an opinion for at least a year. Best of luck!

8. Meltdown

Meltdown

From what I understand these companies like Apptutti and AppInChina, are just a hamster wheel for publishing your game onto the stores there. And that's where it ends. They don't invest any money in marketing, or do any sort of press releases or get people to cover your game, they just list it on the store and hope it makes some money.

If you have a decent game, try and work with a company like Yodo1 or MyGameZ, who will actually take the time to review your game and put some time and money into publishing it properly in China and getting it some exposure.

PeterGost, Jmonroe and JoNax97 like this.
  9. ebenknot

ebenknot

thank you for your responses. I really want to publish my game in China because we have thousands of impresions there only via google play so i want to try what happen in their stores. But we want to make it well, not with a company that only put on the stores because to put on the stores is the first step. I need to work ASO in those stores to work the position of the app. MAybe i will write message to the indie studios that have apps in chinese stores. Thank you again for the help.

10. MDADigital

MDADigital

We have published in China, its our biggest market in number of sales. But becasue the price is much lower its a much smaller revenue

11. xjjon

xjjon

Overall do you feel it's worth the overall effort for an indie developer to do it? At least from your experience / perspective.

12. MDADigital

MDADigital

For us it didn't add any costs, we didn't add localisation for Chinese etc

xjjon likes this.
  13. ebenknot

ebenknot

So is the same as google play no? i thought that the ecpm in china via google play was low. But as you say, ecpm in china is low in every ad network and every stores, no? do you have the game in main stores?

14. MDADigital

MDADigital

I have not idea about Google play, only used steam, sorry