Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Public Roadmap, Blacksmith Demo Assets released - Announcements from Unite Europe

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Aurore, Jun 24, 2015.

1. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
    Grafos, elias_t, chelnok and 2 others like this.
  2. mensch-mueller

mensch-mueller

Livestream is not available in Germany :(

3. Aurore

Aurore

I'm afraid that's to do with Germany's Live streaming & music copyright laws, we can't really do anything.

4. schmosef

schmosef

5. Teku-Studios

Teku-Studios

6. SAOTA

SAOTA

nooooooooo, how did i miss this. hahaha

7. adventurefan

adventurefan

Awesome way to release the Blacksmith demo, separating some of the useful assets for us. Thanks!

8. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Good stuff Unity. Btw anyone trying blacksmith demo can pause, and scrub the timeline. As an additional feature, you can look around while paused!

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  9. AwesomeX

AwesomeX

5.3 is going to be a nice birthday present.

10. tanoshimi

tanoshimi

Lots of good stuff in the audio talk with Jan Marguc too, so if you want to know more about the audio mixer, inspecting audio events in the profiler, or writing custom audio plugins, I recommend checking that out too.

11. eskovas

eskovas

Is it possible to put Session/Talk and its title on the title of the youtube videos you will be uploading on the Unity channel?
    I almost didn't click on this one because it was uploaded at the same time as all the other ones from the keynote and i thought it was from the keynote.

Just think it's better for us when searching through the uploaded sessions.

12. movra

movra

I've got a serious case of post-Unital depression. There are so many people you can meet at Unite, so many booths and talks to attend, but you only get 2 or 3 days.

I'm very happy to have been able hang out with Asset Store wizards like @tomaszek of RTP fame and @Becoming from Horizon[On], rave to Chipzel and connect with Hangar18 (Jelly Jiggle), Realmforge Studios (Dungeons II), the Unity crew, @drcharlesunity PhD (you know) and to be able to consult experts such as @Adam Buckner, Jan Marguc and Alexey Orlov, have a steady influx of great food (props to the catering) and get tech updates at the Intel, OSVR, ARM, zSpace, Meta, Xsens and Samsung booths.

Still I've not taken advantage of all the opportunities that presented themselves. Why, just why, did my cloning machine have to break down just this week?

A very special shout-out to @UnityFS of the Unity FS Flight Simulation toolkit for giving me a great deal on his Unite ticket, without whom I wouldn't have been able to attend in the first place.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
    superpig likes this.
  13. Aurore

Aurore

Yes, we had to go through and update the names. They should be all done now.

eskovas likes this.
  14. Aurore

Aurore

Glad you had such a great time, even from the other side of the fence, this was one of the best Unite's I've been too

movra likes this.
  15. TheCodeTroll

TheCodeTroll

There are only 10 videos currently up in the Unite Europe 2015 playlist, are the rest coming?
    I managed to see a lot of the talks I wanted to but there were a few clashes and would love to see those talks aswell:
    for example the IL2CPP talk,

16. Kronnect

Kronnect

I enjoyed this stuff too much. Thank you.

17. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

A Moon Shaped Bool Unity Legend

Yes, all the talks were recorded and their videos will be put up when they are edited! 50+ hours of footage is alot to process and Unite only ended 2 working days ago! In short:

18. TheCodeTroll

TheCodeTroll

Awesome :) thanks Andy, didnt want to sound impatient... just eager to relive the experience, you know :p
    (p.s nice unite jokes in your housekeeping talk ;) )

19. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

A Moon Shaped Bool Unity Legend

It was my pleasure. :)

20. eskovas

eskovas

Can the assets from the blacksmith demo be separated from the main art?
    I don't really want to be downloading 4.5GB of environment assets just to test/use the tools inside it.

Could that be done? :)

21. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Reading the blog, you can access the tools and such separately, as separate package downloads. Did you try them?

22. eskovas

eskovas

Oh i missed that, i see most of the assets are separated (i only noticed the characters package before). The vegetation system and paintjob tool are still part of the 4.5GB though. Would be nice to have a separated package for those too if possible :)

23. torbjorn

torbjorn

Unity Technologies

We had to prioritize where to go with everything we produced during production of The Blacksmith, so we picked a handful of these features that we cleaned up and built into isolated example projects. That left us with a choice to make for all the rest: do we release them as-is, bugs and first-pass messy code included, or do we just hide them in a dark closet 'till the end of time?

After a very short discussion, we decided to release almost all of them. Primarily because even though we haven't had time to clean up and make them all user-friendly, they have been good enough to ship in one or more projects, so they could probably be of use to others as well.

But that's also one of the reasons why we chose to ship some of them with only with the projects that actually use them; since they aren't necessarily well documented or very easy to use, having a real-world project included really helps give some context to the features in addition to the example setup they offer.

Moonjump likes this.
  24. eskovas

eskovas

Thanks for the clarification @torbjorn
    I understand the issues with assets like these, made for tech demos, being released in their own package, having to make documentation on it, optimizing and bug fixing, making example scenes, scenarios, interfaces, etc. All of that takes their time to make.
    I think my problem is mostly with the size of the package, since it's almost 5 GB of downloaded assets that i would have to download but wasn't going to use.

I'll have to download the asset and see how everything works. I'll also most likely learn a lot of things by looking at the whole project too :p