Search Unity

Official Public Roadmap and Feature Requests

Discussion in 'Editor Workflows' started by EricDziurzynski, Jan 30, 2023.

1. EricDziurzynski

EricDziurzynski

Unity Technologies

I'm the Product Manager for many aspects of the Editor Experience and do manage the public roadmap (https://unity.com/roadmap/unity-platform/editor).

We just had an awesome Dev Blitz Day last Thursday (January 26th, 2023) and responded to many forum questions and a lot of them had to do with our roadmap and specific features. What happened to this feature or when can we expect another feature. What will it look like when you release it?

I'm going to work on being more active here on the forums for these types of questions moving forward.

We do our best to manage the public roadmap in terms of publicly showcasing what we are considering and what we are working on. I will say that if you add insights to public roadmap items, we do read them and they do help us prioritize what we work on and the problems we try to address.

If you have any feedback on the Editor Experience or Workflows and on specific features or efforts listed on the roadmap, please do add them there as those cards are tied to features in our backlog and this is the most efficient way to route your feedback to ensure it doesn't get lost. You just need to be logged in with your Unity ID to do so. If you don't see a specific feature, or want to request something, please add this to the 'submit new idea' card. Much of the time your feedback gets added to features in the backlog that just aren't shown publicly.

DevDunk, msfredb7 and karl_jones like this.
  2. msfredb7

msfredb7

Thanks for the good communication!

In regards to roadmap suggestions, are there ways to hear feedback back? I've used the roadmap a few times and the fact that it's only a 1-way communication doesn't feel great. Should we create roadmap tickets as well as forum posts to open up discussions?

Thygrrr and PutridEx like this.
  3. EricDziurzynski

EricDziurzynski

Unity Technologies

@msfredb7 , that's a great question and one we've been talking about. The forum is a good place to get feedback for sure as others are likely feeling the same way and we wish we had a better method for this but this seems to be the industry standard method at the moment. We do get a lot of feedback on the roadmap and feature requests so it's tough to respond to each one individually and it can be difficult to monitor every forum post but if you tag me, that's a good way to make sure I get notified and I'll do my best to respond!

msfredb7 likes this.
  4. mgear

mgear

my raw editor workflow annoyances/wishlist
    https://gist.github.com/unitycoder/c29f79c1cc8e2232be9d6bfebf884561

*its few years old, more recent ones are at the bottom (i know some things are already fixed or changed)

how things like QOL comments should be reported? as roadmap wish or bug or forum post?

for example,
    "QOL allow drag and drop file from Explorer, on top of existing file" (now you cannot replace existing file with same name..)

EricDziurzynski likes this.
  5. EricDziurzynski

EricDziurzynski

Unity Technologies

@mgear , thanks for sending this!!! Let me take some time to triage this list against our existing backlog and get back to you. If you don't hear back from me by this time next week, please tag me and ask for an update.

The drag and drop from explorer does sound nice...

As for some transparency into our process, we use Product Board for our internal backlog and roadmap and can push features to the public roadmap. Any feedback you add to anything there gets automatically added to that particular feature and we review these notes with our engineering leads and product designers.

Our internal backlog is pretty extensive and so I will add your feedback to anything that already exists or create new entries for ones that we agree should exist. I may use the forum conversation feature to give you feedback on this list.

During my regular 1:1 meetings with Engineers and Product Designers I will review the feedback we've gotten and discuss feasibility, urgency, and come up with prioritization.

I hope this helps.

florianBrn and mgear like this.
  6. EricDziurzynski

EricDziurzynski

Unity Technologies

@mgear , and for others watching, I've started a direct conversation for feedback on your list as I triage the feedback over time.

mgear likes this.
  7. Thygrrr

Thygrrr

Just one request, I'd really like to never see this one again:
    upload_2023-3-6_12-32-0.png

Especially when just alt-tabbing back into my project that was perfectly fine a minute ago.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2023
  8. DevDunk

DevDunk

If reproducible make a bug report

9. Thygrrr

Thygrrr

Sure, but in my ~12 years with Unity, I have learned that random hard crashes rarely get addressed from user bug submissions, and I do not have time to cut down my project to a submittable size every time this happens.

Also, it usually requires a somewhat real world project to trigger (maybe Unity could run their own internal team that uses their own tools to make a realistically scoped game ... idk, a giga game, ya? That would catch so many crashes...)

10. mgear

mgear

alt-tab crash is very random for me too,
    i feel like it used to happen more in 5.x or those times, when screen saver/monitor sleep had kicked in or something similar.. now probably see it only few times a year.

i've also stopped sending random crash reports, since the support always insists more info (even if i write into message that this is just a random crash, i don't have more info, sending the crash debug logs in case they are useful..)

since it was mentioned earlier, that those dumps can be useful,
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/unity-bug-report-requirements.747440/#post-5209448

Thygrrr likes this.
  11. Nefahl

Nefahl

Two things which immediately came to mind regarding editor-feature-requests which are also asked all over the forums since years without any satisfying community-made solution or any unity-response:

Regarding SerializedObject / SerializedProperty
    1. Finally in Unity 2022.2+ we can access property values as boxed System.Object which is great. But please also allow easy bubbling up the parents (serializedObject.parent) of the property/object, without having to fiddle around with Reflection (traversal by path:string) and hacky string-manipulations (for nested objects inside array's/lists).
    Important for two reasons, marking serializable native classes/structs as modified / dirty is not reliable and changes get lost often, probably the owning UnityEngine.Object is not marked dirty correctly -- when calling the apply modification function and/or SetDirty via utility -- Or not at all and the situations where changes are serialized happen due to being marked dirty by something else. Reason two it helps tremendously when implementing custom attributes for custom-types and drawers for that.

2. Possibility to intercept / modify / react to general shortcut/modifications like Copy/Paste & Duplicate. Via:
    - ObjectChangedEventStream
    - AssetModificationProcessor
    - Maybe some UnityEditor-Utility callbacks Before/After (preferable before: Func<Object, bool> which allows aborting copy when true is returned (this would also allow implementing a custom-copy/duplicate, then abort, for specific Objects) as well as Action<Object, Object> as copied A to B / Duplicated A to B)

Not being able to override/block copy/duplicate causes a lot of headache in big projects with custom tools and ScriptableObjects that may break during default unity shallow serialized-copy. Or with Components which need some field-value to be unique etc.

OBiwer likes this.
  12. ryanflees

ryanflees

Can we have Shader Graph API for editor scriptings?
    Editing Shader Graphs manully is really painful right now. Like I want to add HLSL function to a custom node in a sub graph, I'll have to maually add the properties, input, output one by one. If the function has 10 paramters it would be very annoying. If I have to do it 10 times, it would be insane.

13. EricDziurzynski

EricDziurzynski

Unity Technologies

@Nefahl , I'm not entirely sure how to capture something this specific to functionality in code especially in the context of editor extensibility or editor usability in the broader sense but will do my best to log your input so it doesn't get lost. I believe we have some data binding plans and considerations in the UI Roadmap that might be closer to what you're looking for? So I'll try to route these requests to that group.

14. EricDziurzynski

EricDziurzynski

Unity Technologies

I will route this feature request to the shader graph team. If you want to get their attention more quickly in the future, please make a feature request on the rendering and visual effects roadmap in the shader graph section.

ryanflees likes this.
  15. EricDziurzynski

EricDziurzynski

Unity Technologies

@EricFFG , We do actually have plans on the roadmap to fix this as soon as possible and have done prototypes internally that would address this one and bring some of our advanced search functionality to the project window. I can't give you a specific timeline for this but in the meantime I'll make sure to capture your feedback and appreciate your patience while we work to address this.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2023
    EricFFG likes this.
  16. EricFFG

EricFFG

@EricDziurzynski
    Any update on text length in the project for Unity 6? There is enough space, all it needs is a line break. The layout dosnt even need to change, I checked in photoshop.

I bet there are hundreds of thousands of hours of people accumulated which had to slide their viewing mode to list view to read names of their content. This sounds like a 1 hour fix.

Its been like 10 years. Any game using even a little bit of a naming convention has this issue.

upload_2024-3-21_22-56-28.png

upload_2024-3-21_22-58-10.png

upload_2024-3-21_22-58-38.png

I cannot stress enough how important it is to either read the name or be able to view the icon.

If use list view, I can read but cannot see the icons.

You cannot give us toe choose to either see or read, this is crazy.

Also can we please have at least some basic icons in the Hierarchy window.

upload_2024-3-21_23-4-44.png

This is not only extremely unreadable (despite being extremely cleanly ordered in this case) but its also very bland, making work in the hierarchy just drab . They dont have to be in play mode but this is just disorienting and sad. But the worst of all is that people know that nobody cared for a decade, that is what really hurts. The same thing is true for project window. At least let us assign a color to a folder, just something very basic but anything. Remember there are level designers which work in this list for hours and hours on end.

These are the things where people say "Unity dosnt use their own engine"

Project and hierarchy are completely fundamental core elements of the entire engine, these should be the most polished out of all, however these were virtually untouched for a decade. AI tools are great and all but essentials are essential.

Im sorry for this tone but its been such a long time.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2024
  17. Huxii

Huxii

Hello @EricDziurzynski,

could we have a "marker", which shows, that for a prefab some overrides have not been applied? I had already cases where I have made some changes, then forgot to apply, and then the next changes were not applied on all object out of prefabs. It would be nice, if there could be an indicator, which shows: Hey wait, you have unapplied overrides. Cause at the moment the button looks the same if there are any pending overrides or not.

upload_2024-4-5_14-46-25.png

Thank you :)
    Huxi

msfredb7 likes this.