Search Unity

PSRC - A huge pixel art sprite library (WIP)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Reactorcore, Dec 22, 2014.

1. Reactorcore

Reactorcore

*PSRC = Pixel Sprites ala Reactorcore

Hi,

I'm creating a massive library of sprites for use in game development.

(Huge library of sprites.)

The idea is that I'll be releasing them in packages that include over a hundred items each. These will be put on the Unity Asset Store and priced at 5-10$ depending on how simple/complex the pack is.

Besides that, I'm also creating a Starter Pack that will be released for free, providing a good selection of sprites, templates and prototyping stuff. This is what will be included in the starter pack so far:

(A peek behind the scenes. Btw, its intentionally blurred, the real product is way more crispy.)

While I'm still making the starter pack, you can give suggestions on what essential could be added to this sheet.

So far, I've got 6 packs I'm getting close to releasing:
    -Human Character
    -Skeleton Character
    -Hardware Building Tools
    -Kitchen Utilities
    -Outdoor Maintenance Tools
    -House Furniture

The idea is that each pack has a certain theme or category that the sprites relate to. I'm planning on making a huge library of sprites on various themes, such as:
    -Forest flora
    -Military tech
    -Vehicles
    -Clothes
    -Armor
    -Gore & blood
    -Futuristic tech
    -Medieval tech
    -Animal characters
    -Industrial machines
    -Seamless textures
    -Signs, markings, notices
    -Mutants
    -Zombies
    -Farming equipment
    -Raw food
    -Cooked food
    -Biome objects

In this thread, you can suggest what other themes you would like to see and what I should prioritise to do next.

Tell me how you feel about this.

GarBenjamin likes this.
  2. Amon

Amon

Cool. Prop wise and scenery wise, imho, it's not too difficult to find or produce something gameready. The ass kicker is 2D animated characters. They are on a whole new level of talent that is needed to produce and get right compared to static scenery and props.

Your sprite packs look good so I'm setting aside a budget to eventually purchase. As you asked for suggestions then mine would be a request for 2d animated characters. Maybe even in a sort of template form that allows customization for the not so pixel art talented.

Heck, what about a separate project from you that is strictly a template monster of characters with a huge emphasis on customization?

That would be cool........

theANMATOR2b and GarBenjamin like this.
  3. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

This is an excellent step in the right direction. I have asked several times for more quality 2D assets on the store. Thanks I am sure I will buy them all. I do hope you are releasing animated characters too. Player chars, enemy humanoids, enemy critters etc.

4. Reactorcore

Reactorcore

A quick progress update:

The starter sheet is now fully shaded and all is left is to assemble the sprites into optimized sheets and then color them.

@Amon, @GarBenjamin:

The type of sprites I'm offering focus on the composite sprite animation technique.
    Heres an example of such a game: Intrusion 2:

Its basically bone animation, but using individual body parts instead of frame-by-frame animation. Theres a tool called Pupped2D for Unity that shows how this works:

The human character from my pack will look like this in a game:

5. Sykoo

Sykoo

6. Reactorcore

Reactorcore

I haven't seen any ready-made assets in that style anywhere, so your best bet would be to create them yourself.

Its not easy. It takes forever.

You'll need to learn:

Art fundamentals
    Color theory
    Shading
    Perspective
    Pixel art basics

And you'll need an image editor and learn to use it, either photoshop or paint shop pro 9, which I consider the best yet largely unknown spriting tool (due to corel screwing up the series with their X series of paint shop pro).

7. Sykoo

Sykoo

I am quite familiar with photoshop and I have tried to create osmething like that. It's ridicilously difficult. Whatever I do, the color won't match :p

8. Reactorcore

Reactorcore

I used to have that problem too until I studied about it, mainly through this video:

Sycra has some superb, analytical tutorials on art that can help you understand the nuts and bolts of how to draw things.
    Watch the tutorial stuff on his channel and you'll get noticable improvements to your art skills.

9. Sykoo

Sykoo

Wow! Thank you very much for this useful link and y our fast responses! I wish you good luck on your project(s) and merry christmas! :)

Reactorcore likes this.
  10. Reactorcore

Reactorcore

Another update on the Starter Pack:

Decided to add some more objects before doing the coloring phase, namely a helicopter, boats and boat accessories. Already had a land and air vehicles, so why not a sea vehicle too?:

Also added an ak47 and a shotgun to complete the basic firearms set, since there was a pistol and a sniper already:

Then I chopped up the huge sheet into optimized, smaller sheet, added some fruits and prepared for the coloring phase:

A couple things are still left to be done, making the bg transparent, like error checking for naughty pixels, value checks, coloring, marketing images, descriptions and slicing up each sheet into individual images per object. After that is done, I can finally release this, along with the six other packs.

Sykoo likes this.
  11. Sykoo

Sykoo

This is absolutely stunning! Awesome package :)

12. Reactorcore

Reactorcore

Another progress update:
    This time coloring is fully completed for all 5 packs, all slicing done and all marketing/key images completed:

^The key image for the asset store.

^Besides getting an optimized atlas sheet, each object is also available as a seperate image.

These things are still left to be done:
    -Load these into unity and create the actual uploadable asset store packages
    -Add a simple demo animation walk cycle to the human and skeleton character packs so the asset store staff wont stop publishing those packs this time.
    -Restructure my website at www.reactorcoregames.com to also now feature these sprites packs.
    -Think through my marketing texts and descriptions and links.
    -Publish and release.

13. Reactorcore

Reactorcore