Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

pseudo-cylindrical world/camera effect? (animal crossing, ff:4 heroes of light)

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by teatime, Mar 27, 2011.

1. teatime

teatime

As shown in the videos below, the environment in Animal Crossing: Wild World and Final Fantasy: Four Heroes of Light seems to bend as it recedes into the distance.

(skip to about 2:30)

Could anyone offer a guess as to how this effect is achieved? Is it simply a custom camera matrix (my experiments with camera matrices would suggest otherwise,) a full-blown Mario Galaxy-style relative gravity effect (although the severity of animal crossing's curve plus the size of the world makes that seem unlikely), or something else?

2. JFFM

JFFM

I wondered about this too.

I'm not sure how say... Animal Crossing achieved it, but I think if you had simple enough requirements (e.g the interactive, walkable world is flat, a'la animal crossing) you could likely use a curved surface (say, a sphere) instead of the standard plane for your ground - and instead of using any physics to move about - interpolate your position over the surface of the sphere/curved surface according to your relative coordinates.

That is.... the game would treat the sphere as if it were a flat, 2D object - and your position (everythings position) would be reflected as an x,y coord on this... but instead of moving directly along the true x,z axis' - you would translate this coordinate into a point on the curved surface, and reorient the normal so that you are standing upright.

Thaaaatttt's my low-end solution. I think it would work - I don't remember Animal Crossing having any notable three dimensional movement or physics - so if your 2D unwrapped map was of a fine enough granularity, that should be nice.

Theories!

-JFFM