Search Unity

PSD Layers

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Samelot, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Samelot

Samelot

Hi. I have been trying to figure out how multiple layers from a PSD file can be accessed in Unity. Having little success myself and having difficulty finding help on this topic, I am starting to think that I am misinterpreting the subject.

From the Unity documentation on textures:

"It should be noted that Unity can import multi-layer PSD TIFF files just fine. They are flattened automatically on import but the layers are maintained in the assets themselves, so you don't lose any of your work when using these file types natively. This is important as it allows you to just have one copy of your textures that you can use from Photoshop, through your 3D modelling app and into Unity."

From this paragraph I have gathered that when in Photoshop if you save a .psd file with multiple layers (with different content on them), you can open this single .psd file in Unity and have access to each of those layers individually. Is this correct?

Or, is it that Unity automatically flattens the image, allowing you to keep your separate layers in Photoshop so that they can easily be retouched and manipulated?

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

No.

Yes. "Unity can import multi-layer PSD TIFF files just fine. They are flattened automatically on import"

--Eric

3. Samelot

Samelot

awesome, thx for clearing that up Eric.

4. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Also note that if you get strange behavior with alpha channels, make sure you have an actual, real background layer in your file, not just a filled layer as the bottom layer.

--Eric

5. TeamArtist

TeamArtist

Another question about PSD layers, does this mean when creating a PSD Network in Maya for a UV map- that it only makes sense to add certain layer attributes? Are there specific attributes among these: transparency, incandescence, bump, ambientColor, diffuse, translucence, displacement which are always ignored by Unity and so it only makes sense to create the color layer in the PSD network?
    For example, I've been trying to work with the transparency attribute to smooth out a game assets outline in order to apply it to a low poly mesh. Unfortunately the transparency layer is flattened as a black mask once imported into Unity.
    If I turn off the transparency layer in the PSD all is fine when the only layer visible is the color layer.

I can't find any specific detailed instructions on what layer attributes of a PSD network created in Maya will import properly into Unity and then what is the best Shader properties to choose in Unity for each platform build- for example Mobile/ Transparent/ Vertex Color looks okay, has transparency in the scene and game view but is it okay for performance?