Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

PSD Importer?

Discussion in '2D Experimental Preview' started by Aygtets, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Aygtets

Aygtets

I was watching this Unity sponsored Brackeys tutorial -

He uses an amazing PSDimporter package that isn't available in any beta I've downloaded. (And I've tried them all). I've looked everywhere, but I can't find it available anywhere.

Was this removed from the current beta downloads?

Is there anywhere I could get it?

I've looked and looked and am finally posting here because I'm am super excited about this. It would increase my workflow tremendously!

ina likes this.
  2. Aygtets

Aygtets

Oh. Perhaps this is all part of Phase 2, and the video creator somehow got access to packages not yet available to the public. There are various things he does in that video, that don't seem to work even in the Beta. I guess I'll wait!

3. Guerro323

Guerro323

DushChnt likes this.
  4. Leo-Yaik

Leo-Yaik

Unity Technologies

Sorry for the delay, it's now available via Package Manager

ina likes this.
  5. PandaMae

PandaMae

I can't seem to find the psd package via package manager. Do i need to install unity 2018.3? I'm currently using 2018.2.5f1. Thanks

6. Leo-Yaik

Leo-Yaik

Unity Technologies

Yes, 'its available only for 2018.3 and above.

7. unity_IowUoVVq5jBGpQ

unity_IowUoVVq5jBGpQ

It doesn't seem to be working in 2018.3.1f1

Getting errors after adding the package

ERROR
    Library/PackageCache/com.unity.2d.psdimporter@1.0.0-preview.1/Editor/PSDImporter.cs(18,77): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `IAnimationAssetPostProcess' could not be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?

UPDATE

Errors have gone after updating the 2D Animation package.

BitNied likes this.
  8. NikonPod

NikonPod

Im using Unity 2018.3.1 but cant import PSD. Also in "import settings" is no checkboxes like "character rig". This features not available for linux yet? I using Ubuntu 18.04.1. Tryed to use 2019 beta, same issue.
    Screenshots:

awsapps likes this.
  9. LOGames

LOGames

@NikonPod
    You're probably trying to, logically, import a PSD file. If you save as a PSB (the photoshop large document format) you should get the options you're looking for. If you're saving from something that doesn't support PSB you can just rename your PSD to PSB.

10. NikonPod

NikonPod

@LOGames Oh thanks a lot!!! Its works.

11. Rohach

Rohach

Unity 2018.3.1: After the update [1.0.0-preview.2] 2019-01-25, the Character Rig broke on all 2D characters in prefabs. Windows 7 is installed. On Windows 10, everything is fine.

Betzalel likes this.
  12. EvOne

EvOne

Hi !

-Getting these errors just after installing last version PSD Importer:

D:/AllUnity/!_Projects_u2018.3/PlayGround_tests02/Library/PackageCache/com.unity.2d.psdimporter@1.0.0-preview.2/Editor/PSDPlugin/PsdFile/Layers/Layer.cs(190,25): error CS1738: Named arguments must appear after the positional arguments

D:/AllUnity/!_Projects_u2018.3/PlayGround_tests02/Library/PackageCache/com.unity.2d.psdimporter@1.0.0-preview.2/Editor/PSDPlugin/PsdFile/PsdFile.cs(426,25): error CS1738: Named arguments must appear after the positional arguments

P.S. I'm found a similar case described in another topic:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/2d-animation-preview-packages.521778/page-4#post-4175242

P.P.S. After installing PSD Importer in new empty project - everything is ok, but in other cases:

2019-02-05_08-37-47.png 2019-02-05_09-03-14.png

Attached Files:

Betzalel likes this.
  13. ratxrat

ratxrat

i Have some problem use UNITY 2018.3.4f1 , i just download ver preview 1 and all error gone. work test import psb file

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    BitNied likes this.
  14. swpowe

swpowe

I'm in Unity 208.3.1 and I don't see any of the 2D packages. I'm specially looking for the PSD importer. Suggestions?

15. ina

ina

How buggy is the new psd importer package?

16. CheekySparrow78

CheekySparrow78

Have you tried clicking "Advanced"?

17. CheekySparrow78

CheekySparrow78

I have also received the "error CS1738: Named arguments must appear after the positional arguments" error when trying to import PSB file. Unity 2018.3.5f1, PSD importer 1.0.0.0 preview 2. Creating new project seem to have fixed this. But obviously something is broken.

Betzalel and EvOne like this.
  18. Betzalel

Betzalel

Hi! was loving the psd (psb) importer! but after updating all my 2d characters are broken and getting the same error messages as others are reporting above! it looks as tho all the bones are no longer associated with their respective sprites and meshes... weird thing is that i dont see the sprite editor option anymore! just a very detailed and complex inspector (which by the way actually looks really cool like we will have lots of fine tuning options) but i cant figure out how to re associate all my bones with the sprites.... i did a dumb thing and didnt name them all very descriptively... since i was working visually and thinking i would rename them later...

any word on what im missing or doing wrong to get back the psd sprite editor would help me immensely so i can repair the bone/sprite association and also ill post the errors here too just to emphasize the common issue i and the others seem to be facing.
    if just showing the error here isnt enough info to help fix let me know what else i should post or report.

2018/Library/PackageCache/com.unity.2d.psdimporter@1.0.0-preview.2/Editor/PSDPlugin/PsdFile/PsdFile.cs(426,25): error CS1738: Named arguments must appear after the positional arguments

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    UnityEngine.Experimental.U2D.Animation.SpriteSkin.LateUpdate () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.2d.animation@2.0.0-preview.1/Runtime/SpriteSkin.cs:152)

EvOne likes this.
  19. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

Hi
    I use the psb importer with animation 2d and it works great.
    I only have a problem.
    I have set it in 2048 but it makes an atlas of 2048x4096.
    This results in the quality to be 1024 and not good.
    So if I want quality of 2048 I have to switch to 4096 max texture size. Its weird.

If you are confused, I want to say that my psb would fit in an atlas of 2048x2048 (since I have set it in 2048 max textures) but it doesnt do it like this, it makes an atlas of 2048x4096. There is nothing in my psb that doesnt fit in 2048 either vertical of horizontal.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  20. Leo-Yaik

Leo-Yaik

Unity Technologies

Will take a look and get back ASAP

21. Leo-Yaik

Leo-Yaik

Unity Technologies

The packing algorithm is not optimal at the moment and we will continue to improve on it. If you can share with us your image, we can use it as part of our test case to see pack it better

22. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

What is your email?

23. Leo-Yaik

Leo-Yaik

Unity Technologies

The issue is due to the project is using .NET 3.5. Switching it to .NET 4.0 should work. A fix for making the package compatible with .NET 3.5 is on the way

EvOne likes this.
  24. EvOne

EvOne

Exactly! :) Thank You for this solution!

25. Betzalel

Betzalel

worked!
    worked! thank you!

EvOne likes this.
  26. EricProton

EricProton

This importer has the potential to hugely speed up my workflow! I was wondering if there's a way to import the sprites without the layers' alpha being cropped out. I need my sprites to all be the same size so their pivots line up. Alternatively, is there a way to have them cropped but have the pivot for each sprite placed at the psd's center?

Thanks!

27. Leo-Yaik

Leo-Yaik

Unity Technologies

Sorry the update is taking longer than it suppose to. Just a note we haven't forget about it and we are still working on it.

SmartMediaNL and Circool like this.
  28. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

I have a very annoying bug. I have imported more than 40 PSBs.
    After updating to 2018.3.7 I have a very annoying bug:
    Every time I lose focus of Unity Window in Windows 10 64 bit and I regain focus (eg to use a calculator) it re imports No6.
    After it completes it loses focus and then each time I click Unity window it re-imports again stuck in an endless loop. I have to shut down unity to fix it. Then it lets me work for a while and then does the same. I tried re-importing this asset with no difference. This is really annoying.

29. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

Tried version 2018.3.8f1 with all the latest package manager updates but still it stucks in re-importing the PSB forever.

30. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

I found the cause of the bug:
    I had a photoshop layer named "horse" and then in the bones I named one bone "horse" resulting that the PSB had 2 objects with the same name "horse". This caused the reimporing loop forever even if you rename one of those in the Hierarchy. It fixes only if you go and rename the bone. Please verify.

EvOne likes this.
  31. Leo-Yaik

Leo-Yaik

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the report. We will look into it and have a fix as soon as we can

32. Nullponullpo

Nullponullpo

Hi Leo.
    Thank you for providing great features.
    But I am facing a big problem.

ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Length * sizeof(T) cannot exceed 2147483647 bytes
    Parameter name: length
    UnityEditor.Experimental.U2D.Common.ImagePacker.Pack (Unity.Collections.NativeArray`1[UnityEngine.Color32][] buffers, System.Int32 width, System.Int32 height, System.Int32 padding, Unity.Collections.NativeArray`1[UnityEngine.Color32]& outPackedBuffer, System.Int32& outPackedBufferWidth, System.Int32& outPackedBufferHeight, UnityEngine.RectInt[]& outPackedRect, UnityEngine.Vector2Int[]& outUVTransform) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.2d.common@1.0.11-preview.1/Editor/ImagePacker/ImagePacker.cs:74)
    UnityEditor.Experimental.U2D.PSD.PSDImporter.ImportFromLayers (UnityEditor.Experimental.AssetImporters.AssetImportContext ctx, PDNWrapper.Document doc) (at Packages/com.unity.2d.psdimporter@1.0.0-preview.2/Editor/PSDImporter.cs:1186)
    UnityEditor.Experimental.U2D.PSD.PSDImporter.OnImportAsset (UnityEditor.Experimental.AssetImporters.AssetImportContext ctx) (at Packages/com.unity.2d.psdimporter@1.0.0-preview.2/Editor/PSDImporter.cs:226)
    UnityEditor.Experimental.AssetImporters.ScriptedImporter.GenerateAssetData (UnityEditor.Experimental.AssetImporters.AssetImportContext ctx) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/AssetPipelineEditor/Public/ScriptedImporter.cs:20)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

Files with large images and multiple layers can not be imported into Unity.

So I changed the approach.
    The method was to convert PSDimporter and output all layers as a single texture. As a result, I was able to read the file, but a new problem occurred.

When you open SpriteEditor, there is no file containing multiple textures, so only one image is displayed and SpriteEditor's window is broken. I want to borrow my wisdom because I am wondering how to make the change.

33. Leo-Yaik

Leo-Yaik

Unity Technologies

@Nullponullpo are you able to share the file with me for me to check what might be the issue? You can PM me with a link.

34. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

Now when I started Unity I got many of these errors:

AssetImporter is referencing an asset from the previous import. This should not happen.

And this info at the end:

A default asset was created for 'Assets/Media/Graphics/PSB/new_style30.psb' because the asset importer crashed on it last time.
    You can select the asset and use the 'Assets -> Reimport' menu command to try importing it again, or you can replace the asset and it will auto import again.

35. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

I re-imported correctly and I got these info:
    Identifier uniqueness violation: 'number_GO/number_GO/lion'. Scripted Importers do not guarantee that subsequent imports of this asset will properly re-link to these targets.
    Identifier uniqueness violation: 'number_GO/number_GO/lion/Transform'. Scripted Importers do not guarantee that subsequent imports of this asset will properly re-link to these targets.

I dont know what it means.

36. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

Maybe it has to do with my previously reported bug.

37. Leo-Yaik

Leo-Yaik

Unity Technologies

@giorgos_gs I wasn't able to reproduce the issue.
    Thanks, we will try to see if we can repro the issue. Which Unity version and pacakge are you on?

38. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

Both latest.

39. rtilton1

rtilton1

I'm having this issue too. On MacbookPro w/ Unity 2018.3.3f1. I tried the package installing preview-1, 2, and 3 - all had errors. Feel free to DM me @Leo-Yaik if you want me to test any updates.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
  40. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

Hi,
    I have found some serious bugs in PSD importer:

1) If you re-import a PSB (right click on it and reimport) then it losses the prefab connection in the scene and makes it impossible to reconnect it. This is serious because it makes all your work done in the scene done.
    Try this bug:
    a) make a PSB. Work on it and make the bones.
    b) drag the PSB in the scene and work on it. Rename, make IK, animate etc.
    c) go in the PSB and re-import the PSB (right click on it and reimport). See that the prefab in the scene is gone forever.

2) Same thing happens if someone changes the settings of the PSB (to override platform settings for Android etc) and then apply the changes. The prefab connection is gone again.

3) Same thing happens if you delete the Library folder. All PSB prefab connections are lost again.

These bugs dont let me build for another platform than I initially build the app for and this is the reason its very serious for me.
    Please tell me a workaround or if you have trouble trying this.
    thanks

EvOne likes this.
  41. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

When I right click on an imported PSB in my scene I get this error:

Code (CSharp):
    1. ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
    2. Parameter name: componentOrGameObject
    3. UnityEditor.SceneHierarchy.CreateGameObjectContextClick (UnityEditor.GenericMenu menu, System.Int32 contextClickedItemID) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneHierarchy.cs:950)
    4. UnityEditor.SceneHierarchy.ItemContextClick (System.Int32 contextClickedItemID) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneHierarchy.cs:1214)
    5. UnityEditor.IMGUI.Controls.TreeViewController.HandleUnusedMouseEventsForItem (UnityEngine.Rect rect, UnityEditor.IMGUI.Controls.TreeViewItem item, System.Int32 row) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUI/TreeView/TreeViewController.cs:429)
    6. UnityEditor.IMGUI.Controls.TreeViewController.DoItemGUI (UnityEditor.IMGUI.Controls.TreeViewItem item, System.Int32 row, System.Single rowWidth, System.Boolean hasFocus) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUI/TreeView/TreeViewController.cs:508)
    7. UnityEditor.IMGUI.Controls.TreeViewController.IterateVisibleItems (System.Int32 firstRow, System.Int32 numVisibleRows, System.Single rowWidth, System.Boolean hasFocus) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUI/TreeView/TreeViewController.cs:692)
    8. UnityEditor.IMGUI.Controls.TreeViewController.OnGUI (UnityEngine.Rect rect, System.Int32 keyboardControlID) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUI/TreeView/TreeViewController.cs:595)
    9. UnityEditor.SceneHierarchy.DoTreeView (System.Single searchPathHeight) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneHierarchy.cs:744)
    10. UnityEditor.SceneHierarchy.OnGUI (UnityEngine.Rect rect) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneHierarchy.cs:577)
    11. UnityEditor.SceneHierarchyWindow.DoSceneHierarchy () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneHierarchyWindow.cs:149)
    12. UnityEditor.SceneHierarchyWindow.OnGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneHierarchyWindow.cs:133)
    13. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at <d7ac571ca2d04b2f981d0d886fa067cf>:0)
    14. Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    15. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at <d7ac571ca2d04b2f981d0d886fa067cf>:0)
    16. System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at <d7ac571ca2d04b2f981d0d886fa067cf>:0)
    17. UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:342)
    18. UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:336)
    19. UnityEditor.HostView.InvokeOnGUI (UnityEngine.Rect onGUIPosition, UnityEngine.Rect viewRect) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:310)
    20. UnityEditor.DockArea.DrawView (UnityEngine.Rect viewRect, UnityEngine.Rect dockAreaRect, System.Boolean customBorder, System.Boolean floatingWindow, System.Boolean isBottomTab) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUI/DockArea.cs:361)
    21. UnityEditor.DockArea.OldOnGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUI/DockArea.cs:320)
    22. UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.DoOnGUI (UnityEngine.Event evt, UnityEngine.Matrix4x4 worldTransform, UnityEngine.Rect clippingRect, System.Boolean isComputingLayout) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/IMGUIContainer.cs:266)
    23. UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.HandleIMGUIEvent (UnityEngine.Event e, UnityEngine.Matrix4x4 worldTransform, UnityEngine.Rect clippingRect) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/IMGUIContainer.cs:438)
    24. UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.HandleIMGUIEvent (UnityEngine.Event e) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/IMGUIContainer.cs:421)
    25. UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.HandleEvent (UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.EventBase evt) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/IMGUIContainer.cs:401)
    26. UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.EventDispatcher.PropagateEvent (UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.EventBase evt) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/EventDispatcher.cs:754)
    27. UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.EventDispatcher.ProcessEvent (UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.EventBase evt, UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.IPanel panel) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/EventDispatcher.cs:599)
    28. UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.EventDispatcher.Dispatch (UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.EventBase evt, UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.IPanel panel, UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.DispatchMode dispatchMode) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/EventDispatcher.cs:307)
    29. UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.BaseVisualElementPanel.SendEvent (UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.EventBase e, UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.DispatchMode dispatchMode) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/Panel.cs:176)
    30. UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.UIElementsUtility.DoDispatch (UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.BaseVisualElementPanel panel) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/UIElementsUtility.cs:245)
    31. UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.UIElementsUtility.ProcessEvent (System.Int32 instanceID, System.IntPtr nativeEventPtr) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/UIElementsUtility.cs:68)
    32. UnityEngine.GUIUtility.ProcessEvent (System.Int32 instanceID, System.IntPtr nativeEventPtr) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/IMGUI/GUIUtility.cs:179)

42. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

I cannot reimport the PSB because I will lose my prefab connection and all the work done.
    I cannot change the PSB platform settings to Android ETC2 8bit compression because when I apply the changes I lose the prefab connection forever.
    I get these errors in Android: "D/Unity: WARNING: RGBA Compressed DXT5 UNorm format is not supported, decompressing texture" and it crashes with low memory with this "E/lowmemorykiller: Error opening /proc/3322/oom_score_adj; errno=2". So there are no more moves to make until you fix some of these.
    Its GAME OVER for me.

EvOne likes this.
  43. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

Any feedback?

44. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

Should also add compression for platform Nintendo Switch.

45. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

Compression does not work all the times.
    I have some PDBs that in Windows compression normal it does the DXT5 as it supposed to do and some others it does them 32bit.

46. Leo-Yaik

Leo-Yaik

Unity Technologies

Sorry for not replying, we are still looking at the issues and thanks again. We will get back as soon as we can

47. AAK_Lebanon

AAK_Lebanon

I am using Unity 2019.1.0 and PSD importer 1.1.0 (the latest one), however, when I save my file in photoshop as PSB, I can't import it in unity, the inspector show nothing, and the file have the photoshop icon. any idea?

Capture.JPG

48. Leo-Yaik

Leo-Yaik

Unity Technologies

Is there any error in the console window?

AAK_Lebanon likes this.
  49. AAK_Lebanon

AAK_Lebanon

No there was no error, however, it worked again and I don't know why, but sometimes I lose the plug-in's editor in the inspector, I reload unity again, and it works again, sometimes I need to remove the package and install it again to make it workable. and I did not notice any error in the console window.

50. smexyuwu

smexyuwu

Wasn't it in the description??