Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Feature Request [PSD Importer] Option to set a default material

Discussion in '2D Experimental Preview' started by Nirlah, Mar 19, 2022.

1. Nirlah

Nirlah

When importing a Photoshop file, it can be helpful to set the material that the Sprite Renderers will use by default (like how a 3D model importer allows assigning materials).

When a different material other than Unity’s default sprite material is needed, it’s impossible to assign a different material directly to the imported prefab. If you need a prefab, you are forced to create a prefab variant with the desired material, manually changing all the Renderers’ material.

2. Ted_Wikman

Ted_Wikman

Unity Technologies

Thank you for your feedback, @Nirlah
    To understand your use case a bit more, what kind of material would you like to apply to your photoshop file?

3. Nirlah

Nirlah

Hey @Ted_Wikman :)
    My use case is when using the PSD Importer for a 2D Animation rig. I have a material with a custom shader that I want to assign the generated rig’s prefab. (Currently, I need to manually assign it to each sprite renderer and then create a new prefab variant).

Last edited: Mar 30, 2022
  4. Ted_Wikman

Ted_Wikman

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the insight, I'll add this to our list of feedback for the 2d feature sets.