Search Unity

PSD files now show alpha as white since Unity 2018.2.0f2

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by bioticste, Jul 16, 2018.

1. bioticste

bioticste

Since I updated to Unity 2018.2.0f2 all the shadows in my PSD (Photoshop) spritesheets have turned white and all edges that have an alpha feather appear to glow white. If I convert the files to PNG or TIFF they are fine and shadows are black and alpha less than 1 is not white. PSD files have worked fine for me since I started the project a year ago (up until Unity 2018.1.7f1), I do not want to convert all my files as this will mean remaking all the animations and rebuilding levels. Does anybody know how to fix this?

Thanks for your help.

lifeisfunxyz likes this.
  2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

I'd file a bug for this

3. bioticste

bioticste

Thanks for the reply Joe-Censored. I have already filed a bug.

After searching for a solution i found this in the 'What's New' for Unity 2018.2.0f1:
    "Editor: When importing PSD, we no longer tweak its colors to remove white matte color impact. That means that texture colors will look exactly same as if image was "flattened" in Photoshop (alpha is kept intact)"

This is rather worrying as it seems that Unity will not fix this issue, for me it means weeks of work converting files and then rebuilding animations and scenes. I hope they bring out a PSD white matte importer tool.

If you want to see the issue in action try opening one of your PSDs from Unity via Photoshop, make a slight change and save. Now back in Unity alpha less than 1 will appear white.

I really hope they either go back to the way Unity has been for years or bring out a PSD white matte importer tool.

4. tcleavy

tcleavy

Same problem, I hope Unity revert back to the way they have imported PSDs for years or at least create an importer or an option on the file in Unity. It seems really unfair to mess up people's projects and make more work for them.

5. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

ekaralar and agmaster like this.
  6. edaw22

edaw22

Any update from Unity on when this will be addressed. I had to upgrade to fox another bug and now this. Seriously?!

We have an exhibition coming up in a month and I cant have the game looking like this and I cant afford the time to convert every damn sprite to a PNG (nor do I want to)

agmaster likes this.