Search Unity

PSD File - Unexpected End of File

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by siddharth3322, Apr 6, 2019.

1. siddharth3322

siddharth3322

I started facing an unexpected end of file error for one of my game project one PSD file.

This kind of error, I was getting when I try to open the same PSD file again.

photoshop_file_error.png

I was working and suddenly power supply is gone and my PC get off on the spot and after some time when power supply started, I have opened the same PSD file again. But with my surprise, I can't able to open it and got an above-mentioned error.

Now, what is a solution for me to recover my file again? Because it contains so many screens design in it. Also what is the precaution for me so that next time the same thing will not happen?

2. sxa

sxa

A proper backup strategy.

1) Save regularly, not just when you're finished.
    2) Never 'Save' over previous versions and wind up with only one 'version' of your work in progress. . 'Save As' with an incremented version number eg mystuff.001.psd
    3) never have only one copy of any of your files; use something automatic to ensure you have at least one other local copy; ideally not on the same system of your work (all of it, including incrementals). Never the same hard drive, though, ideally not the same computer (ie use a NAS)
    4) never have all the copies of your files in the same building; use cloud storage to ensure you have at least one remote copy.

siddharth3322 and xVergilx like this.
  3. siddharth3322

siddharth3322

Why this kind of problem happening with Photoshop!!
    Just electricity was gone and after 5 minutes it came back and my 1.5 days work get lost.
    Any solution exist in Photoshop for this, here I am not talking about a week or months data lost, my half day's work lost I am talking at present.
    Within Unity project this kind of problem not created, again you can continue where you left last time.

4. sxa

sxa

If a complex file format like .psd is corrupt, there's sometimes not a lot one can do, Im afraid. But if you Google, you should be able to find some advice on how to try eg I used 'restore corrupt psd file' and this was the top of the list: https://www.easeus.com/file-recovery/restore-and-repair-corrupted-psd.html

For those 1.5 days work, I'd suggest you should have had different interim versions every 15 minutes or major change. If your work is important, paranoia about preserving it is a good attitude to have.

Unity projects aren't single monolithic files, they're a bunch of lots of files. so they're not directly comparable.

Hope you have some luck.

xVergilx and siddharth3322 like this.
  5. siddharth3322

siddharth3322

@sxa thank you for all these pieces of information, I will definitely go through with the above link.
    Today I worked again and designed all things again but I lost my 6 hours of time :cool: