Search Unity

PSA: Oculus Runtime 1.3

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by DavidErosa, Mar 28, 2016.

1. DavidErosa

DavidErosa

Update 2: This is no longer necessary since Unity 5.3.4p5 and 5.4.0b16

Hi!

To save others the time it took me finding this: With the release of the Oculus Rift and the new 1.3 runtime, we need to install Unity 5.3.4p1 AND follow this steps if we want to keep on developing with the new runtime: OVRPlugin_for_Unity_5

Happy VR coding!

Update: Obviously new versions are being released, so always go and grab the latest version of the OVRPlugin for Unity :)

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  2. GoesTo11

GoesTo11

Is there an equivalent 5.4 version?

3. DavidErosa

DavidErosa

No AFAIK

4. tvdinnerdev

tvdinnerdev

Thanks for finding this so I didn't spend the next 18 hours of life not even knowing which of the 20 downloads from Oculus will actually fix the problem. Bookmarked. :)

5. joeysipos

joeysipos

Anyone get this working with the DK2? I got the tracking working, but no visuals are coming out of the headset.

Edit: Actually, It won't display in the editor, but when I build the game, it works fine... Infact the performance of game improved like from 80fps to 160fps... Sweet!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  6. lazygunn

lazygunn

I made a thread then figured it out - Let the oculus app load, press button to let it go to the home screen, then if you run the editor and press play the editor will get 'focus', press a button again and there you are

7. batate

batate

I hope Unity can integrate the new library into 5.3.4 and 5.4beta soon so this step can be avoided.

8. LostInTheMachine

LostInTheMachine

Hi there,

I've installed Unity 5.3.4 and the OVRplugin for Unity 5. My machine is a brand new machine, running Windows 10 and on a GTX 980 with latest NVidia drivers. All the games through Oculus home run perfectly. I am using a DK2 though.

First off, the performance is pretty terrible - pretty much 32fps regardless of what I run. (NB, I've changed the fixed timestep to be 0.01333). The profilier indicates that the CPU is spending 95% of time in WaitingForGPU.

When I run in the Editor and hit STOP, the Editor crashes out. I've submitted a couple of bug reports already but I'm wondering if this is just me? It doesn't matter what I run: my program, Unity demos, Oculus demos. Everything crashes Unity.

Changing platform doesn't help. Same behaviour.

Anyone else having these issues? I really hope this isn't an issue with the DK2 as my CV1 isn't due to get here till May.

Cheers

9. StevoKeano

StevoKeano

My editor Run/Stops crashed out too 10's of times during my first 10hrs of UI to VR conversion attempts. Following (not) Unity’s UI System in VR by Andy Borrell |November 25, 2015...

After 12hrs in I hit on OVRInput missing? read another paragraph and saw OVRGamePad being deprecated too, now I'm lost....

I think Andy's other article may help; but, I'm not clear how to convert a UI Canvas Menu anymore. Given it took me 12hrs to see I'd been working with depreciated S***e from an article only 4 months old....... ugh.

No problems with Demo's: OVR_UI_Demo_5_2, OculusSampleFramework, and even my final attempt with conversion ala Unity’s UI System in VR no longer crash out of the deprecated system.

DK2, 5.3.4p1, OVRPlugin.dll 1.3, Win10-64, 980T..

10. skullthug

skullthug

11. HalversonS

HalversonS

Thanks @DavidErosa
    Is that all that's needed to get things working? It seems too easy compared to before... and I'm not able to get any visual. The Oculus Config Demo scene works just fine... however I continuously get "[VRDevice] Initialization of device oculus failed." in unity.

I'm running Unity 5.3.4f1
    I've put the 1.3.0 plug in in the appropriate folder mandated by Oculus.
    Nvidia drivers are fine as it works in Oculus Config Demo scene.
    I checked "Virtual Reality Supported"
    (I tried "Stereoscopic rendering*" at one point as well, even though that's not needed)

I've even imported the 1.3.0 Utilities and attempted one of their scenes. Still nothing...

I think the main issue is the "[VRDevice] Initialization of device oculus failed."... There are a few threads on this error but those with the same issue as I are receiving no solution nor do any suggestions fix the issue.

I'm hoping I missed a small step... it seemed to easy this time.

Edit:
    I got a reply here from someone who solved the issue. I'll try it and edit this again if it worked for me. Thanks!
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/un...-of-device-oculus-failed.372663/#post-2582941
    Edit2:
    Uninstalling Oculus Runtime and then deleting files that weren't removed and reinstalling the drivers solved my issue.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016