Search Unity

1. Unity 2018.3 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We've updated our Terms of Service. Please read our blog post from Unity CTO and Co-Founder Joachim Ante here
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to provide direct feedback to the Unity team? Join the Unity Advisory Panel.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice

PSA - Designing for disability

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by SparrowsNest, Dec 10, 2018.

1. SparrowsNest

SparrowsNest

For those of you not familiar with Mark Brown's youtube channel, he does "Game Maker's Toolkit", a series about game design, highly recommend it.

He recently did 3 episodes on designing games for people with disabilities, I think it's a must for every one making a game to look at, it has great design tips even for people without disabilities.

Link to playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLc38fcMFcV_vvWOhMDriBlVocTZ8mKQzR

He also had a unity plugin that gives you a filter that shows you how a colorblind person would see your game: https://www.alanzucconi.com/2015/12/16/color-blindness/

I hope i'm not being rude but mods, please pin these stuff somewhere it won't get lost in time, i think it's highly critical to take these things into consideration while making a game.

Braineeee, Teila, TonyLi and 4 others like this.
  2. newjerseyrunner

newjerseyrunner

I saw those and made some tweaks to my game afterwards. Probably the biggest help was an asset that I downloaded that allowed Unity to simulate how my game would look with different colorblindnesses and I made some major changes to my color palette after seeing it.

3. Habitablaba

Habitablaba

Instead of Design for Disability, I'd like to push people to Design for Accessibility, instead.
    This covers the same stuff, but also covers things that may not be considered a 'disability', has the added benefit of not couching it as a negative, and just generally allows more people to enjoy your game.

Colorblindness is a great start, but also please consider some of the following:
    Captions
    Text to speech for written content
    Options to change size of text
    Just, like, no words; think IKEA instructions
    Options to hold a button instead of tap it repeatedly
    Options to tap a button to toggle a state (like crouching) instead of holding
    One hand mode; not every body has two
    Allow player to completely remap buttons

Obviously, not every game can implement all of the above. Nor do I think the above list is a comprehensive list of things. I think the goal is to include as many as possible where it makes sense, and to provide as many affordances as possible, whenever possible. I don't think having a lore-rich RPG with no text is necessarily a challenge most people will want to tackle.
    But I do think designers should be thinking about accessibility as early as possible. Waiting until the game is done and trying to tack on accessibility features as an afterthought is a recipe for failure.

4. SparrowsNest

SparrowsNest

What you said is pretty much exactly what I posted, have a quick look at the playlist(watching the whole thing is like 30 minutes)
    Don't get too worked up the the words, look at the contents.

I specifically linked the colorblind plugin because it's the only unity plugin in the list.

Habitablaba likes this.
  5. Habitablaba

Habitablaba

I for somehow missed the one on motor disabilities. Wups!