Search Unity

PSA: Current supported Unity release for EditorXR is 2017.4 LTS

Discussion in 'EditorXR' started by unity_andrewm, May 21, 2018.

1. unity_andrewm

unity_andrewm

Unity Technologies

The currently supported Unity release for EditorXR is the LTS release - Unity 2017.4
    2018.1 does not work out of the box currently - we are making a new official release to support 2018 and will update this board (and do all the regular release posts) when that happens.

2. IgnisIncendio

IgnisIncendio

Just indicating my interest in a 2018 version. Would be very useful for my school project. :)

Xac likes this.
  3. drzepsuj

drzepsuj

+1 on 2018, I would like to be able to use VR for level design.

4. unity_andrewm

unity_andrewm

Unity Technologies

For those interested, 2018 works in the development branch on github. We're taking a look at when an official 2018 release will be appropriate.

Thanks for your patience!

IgnisIncendio likes this.
  5. lumeneo

lumeneo

6. aaaavvvv

aaaavvvv

Does it work with 2018.1?

7. itsjustmeagain

itsjustmeagain

I tested it with 2018.2.5f1 LTS and it does NOT work for me with latest Oculus rutime. It does work with 2017.4.10f1 LTS. Does anybody know whats broken?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  8. IgnisIncendio

IgnisIncendio

My school project is over already :( Still would like a 2018 version though.

9. drzepsuj

drzepsuj

I have tried to get it work with 2018 to no luck unfortunately... Development branch displays error when added to project and when I copy it over the stable version for 2017, it compiles, but unity crashes when I press the editorxr button in unity :( I think the Development branch is missing some files.

10. unity_andrewm

unity_andrewm

Unity Technologies

Hey folks, let's get to the bottom of this.

First question - when updating, were submodules updated as well?

11. drzepsuj

drzepsuj

What happens here is:

1: When I download and add release 0.1.1 I get the following compiler error:
    Assets/EditorVR/Tests/Editor/BuildPlayerTest.cs(41,35): error CS1061: Type `UnityEditor.Build.Reporting.BuildReport' does not contain a definition for `Contains' and no extension method `Contains' of type `UnityEditor.Build.Reporting.BuildReport' could be found. Are you missing `WebSocketSharp' or `System.Linq' using directive?

2: When I overwrite release 0.1.1 files with the files downloaded from GitHub Development branch:
    There are no compiler errors and EditorXR shows in the "Window" menu, unfortunately as soon as I click it little EditorXR window shows on the left top corner of the screen along with the message on the middle of the screen saying "Unity has stopped working". I have tried deferred as well as forward rendering modes.

3: When I delete everything in EditorXR folder and just put the files from Development branch in there, I end up with a total of 115 compiler errors, mostly relating to input devices, like this one:
    Assets/EditorVR/Scripts/Proxies/Data/AffordanceDefinition.cs(26,16): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `VRInputDevice' could not be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?

All above is on Unity 2018.2.8f1, Windows 10x64 with Vive Pro, with the latest Steam VR Beta running.

12. AtheneNoctua

AtheneNoctua

I get this error as well: Assets/EditorVR/Tests/Editor/BuildPlayerTest.cs(38,24): error CS1061: Type `UnityEditor.Build.Reporting.BuildReport' does not contain a definition for `Contains' and no extension method `Contains' of type `UnityEditor.Build.Reporting.BuildReport' could be found. Are you missing `System.Linq' using directive?

That's on Unity 2018.2.13f1 Personal in Windows 10 64-bit where EditorXR-0.1.1.unitypackage is the first package imported.

13. AtheneNoctua

AtheneNoctua

Edit: Trying the 2017 version.

LTS Release 2017.4.13f1
    Released: 12 October 2018

https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/lts-releases

Adding EditorXR-0.1.1

https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/EditorXR/releases

"The input system prototype needs to patch the InputManager Settings"

Click Apply; it patches...

Success!

Warnings:
    EditorVR requires TextMesh Pro. Please go to the Asset Store and download/import Text Mesh Pro.
    UnityEditor.EditorAssemblies:processInitializeOnLoadAttributes()

Installing Text Mesh Pro...
    Edit:
    Now I have these errors, and don't know how to fix them:

Assets/EditorVR/Scripts/Input/ViveInputToEvents.cs(63,40): error CS0103: The name `SteamVR_Controller' does not exist in the current context
    Assets/EditorVR/Scripts/Input/ViveInputToEvents.cs(64,41): error CS0103: The name `SteamVR_Controller' does not exist in the current context
    Assets/EditorVR/Scripts/Input/ViveInputToEvents.cs(84,93): error CS0172: Type of conditional expression cannot be determined as `<error>' and `<error>' convert implicitly to each other
    Assets/EditorVR/Scripts/Input/ViveInputToEvents.cs(105,35): error CS0103: The name `SteamVR_Controller' does not exist in the current context
    Assets/EditorVR/Scripts/Input/ViveInputToEvents.cs(139,30): error CS0103: The name `SteamVR_Controller' does not exist in the current context
    Assets/EditorVR/Scripts/Input/ViveInputToEvents.cs(140,28): error CS0103: The name `SteamVR_Controller' does not exist in the current context

The installed version of the SteamVR plugin is 2.0.1

Should I be using an earlier version of the SteamVR plugin? If not, what code do I need to change?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  14. krougeau

krougeau

I've been fiddling with trying to get it to work in 2018 (didn't realize it wasn't supported until now) and was able to resolve the BuildPlayerTest errors by changing to output.Contains calls to output.ToString().Contains instead, which seems to have helped. Beyond that, I was receiving another error from the ListItemTransparent shader & ended up switching from Pragma 3.0 to 4.0 so it'd compile.

The project is now error free and I can open the EditorXR window, however nothing changes in my Oculus headset and I'm still in the typical Oculus Home surroundings. I've noticed that when I "toggle device view", the EditorXR window turns black if I don't have "Use Presentation Camera" selected, and shows the expected camera view when it is checked, so at least that bit seems to be functioning.

As I couldn't find any other obviously "broken" parts to toy with, I thought I'd post my findings, if only to bump the thread and call attention back to the topic. I'm eager to see this working on Unity 2018, especially since 2019's nearly upon us. I'm working on several VR projects and it would simplify things greatly to be able to build in virtual space rather than having to swap back and forth constantly to check how scale & depth appear from within VR.

15. Ascensi

Ascensi

I hope a build for the 2018.3.0b9 or later is in the works, I think taking advantage of the Unity version that brings in multi-threading would be a huge plus for complex scenes.

16. allenwp

allenwp

Would it be possible to get a full list of the recommended exact versions of Unity, SteamVR, and other libraries that work well with release 0.1.1 of EditorXR?

I've imported EditorXR 0.1.1 into Unity 2017.4.9f1 with SteamVR 1.2.3 and no text seems to be rendering on any of the menu windows (and no errors are being thrown). Is there an exact version of Unity 2017.4 and SteamVR that is known to work that I can start with?

Thanks!
    Allen

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  17. nightshadow

nightshadow

Any word on a fix our a new release. I actually got the oculus rift so it would be easier to design my zones with. Please help.

18. nightshadow

nightshadow

I got my head display working and it see the controls in my heads but not of the functions to select or grad or even move is working

19. haskins

haskins

I find editing in VR very useful, and fun.

+1 for interest in the project compatibility. I enjoyed using it in 2017, now I'm reaching for it in 2018... but i'm reading here it doesn't work. XD

Good job on the project overall, I think it's important work that contributes highly to Unity's future as first-class XR development platform. IMO, they need to give the EXR team all the resources needed to continue developing this important project.

I'm looking forward to what Unity has in store for VR in 2019.

Thanks!

20. vthera_joels

vthera_joels

Is EditorXR.0.1.1 incompatible with the latest version of Oculus Integration? I had it working in and older version of Unity 2017 with Oculus Integration 1.29, but now it's not working correctly in 2017.4.19f1 with the latest Oculus Integration (1.34). I can start EditorXR, but things don't work correctly in the headset. Locomotion controls work fine, but the trigger doesn't appear to work correctly. I can't select objects, interact with the transform manipulator or use the trigger to open the main menu.

I'm hoping not to roll back Unity versions and don't see anywhere to download older versions of the Oculus Integration asset.

On a side note, I really love this tool and hope it continues development. It really makes blocking environments for VR much faster. Thanks!

21. amirebrahimi_unity

amirebrahimi_unity

22. amirebrahimi_unity

amirebrahimi_unity

23. amirebrahimi_unity

amirebrahimi_unity

It sounds like you are missing TextMeshPro:
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/essentials/beta-projects/textmesh-pro-84126

24. guizi

guizi

upload_2019-2-15_17-17-4.png
    My unity version is 2017.4.20f2, steamvr version is 1.1.4, no error is reported after imported EditorXR-0.1.1.unitypackage, and my head display is working,but my head display shows an empty scene.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  25. Jattier

Jattier

I'm really glad to see all the recent activity on githGi for this project. I'm sure we all want to know if/when work will start to support this in later versions of Unity. Downgrading isn't an option for me currently....maybe the next project.

26. BenWoodford

BenWoodford

Is the 2018.3 branch functional right now? I've tried importing it but get all sorts of errors about ActionMap, ActionMapInput, etc which I believe are from the Input System? But when I imported that, the errors don't go away.