Search Unity

Feedback [PSA] Close package manager if experiencing inexplicable editor lag and pauses

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by Rib, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Rib

Rib

Just spent the evening trying to bisect why my project had become so sluggish to deal with in Unity, with any code change leading to about 15seconds of the editor being hung doing something synchronously blocking the UI.

After incrementally deleting everything in my project until I basically had a pristine scene with one script it was still hanging and the only thing left to do was to factory reset the layout of the editor!

It turned out that just because I had docked the package manager, then I would see the editor pausing whenever it had to recompile scripts.

I can also reproduce this by creating a new project (2019.2.8f1 or 2019.2.3f1) and adding a boilerplate script to an empty. If I modify the script without the package manager open it just takes a moment to recognise and re-compile vs if I open the package manager then it takes about eight seconds. (and presumably it takes longer in my other project since I have installed more packages)

Something is apparently triggering the package manager to also check for updated package (the status bar says 'Loading packages...') every time scripts are recompiled and that's blocking the main thread for a long time (at least on my machine).

Curious to know if anyone else is seeing this, and if not I wonder why. Hopefully someone at Unity can find a way to make whatever the package manager does here happen asynchronously?

Regards

2. SalwaC

SalwaC

Unity Technologies

Hello there,

thank you for your feedback.
    I'll send it to the team.

It is indeed a fix we want to apply, it is not yet on the roadmap though.

Thank you,

Rib likes this.
  3. fherbst

fherbst

I also want to add that this is a huge issue, especially for the people (like us) that are fully endorsing the package manager and trying to create our own packages. Your best users! ;)

starikcetin and Rib like this.
  4. fherbst

fherbst

5. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @fherbst , I know you guys are the best :p

This issue rings a bell. I think this was already reported before (and possibly fixed). Do you experience this issue in 2019.2.x too?

Pascal

6. Rib

Rib

Yep; I'm seeing this with 2019.2.3f1 and 2019.2.8f1.

Regards,
    - Robert

7. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

@fherbst , @Rib . We have reproduced the issue. The team will work on a fix. We are tracking the issue in our internal bug base. If you want visibility on the fix progression, please create a bug on your end and we will link them together.

Thank you!

Pascal

fherbst likes this.