Search Unity

PS4 Xbox 720

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kbeaud, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Code_Of_Honour

Code_Of_Honour

I've worked a bit with networks in the past, and I can tell you that this would make absolutely no dent in the network speed. The best solution would be to simply calculate all these values in the master/authoritative server, and then send them over to all clients afterward. All that gets transferred is a bunch of numbers/booleans, and that really has no impact on connection speed whatsoever. Gameplay mechanics such as classes don't make a difference when it comes to lag.

2. khanstruct

khanstruct

Ok, I'm just going to ignore most of this, because its clearly a pointless conversation. But this... this deserves some notice.

You disagree that these keyboards are just as comfortable and easy to use as a keyboard on a PC... even the keyboards that are identical in every way to a keyboard on a PC... Do you see the issue here? You are so hell bent on hating every other console (besides Nintendo consoles) that your arguments don't even make any sense.

3. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Then why would a FPS be any different?

I don't sit on a couch with a keyboard on my lap to play games on a TV I sit with a game pad. Most peoples consoles are in this situation, If i'm going to use a keyboard I'll do it at a desk or use a laptop. so again I don't think any of those are usable. In the end If I need to move my console to a desk and hook up a keyboard to play then why not just play on a PC.

4. scottland

scottland

This one does
    $1349227673165_bulletin.jpeg
    ;)

EDIT: Why wont the image work?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  5. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Can you copy the link and use the image tags?

6. scottland

scottland

$1349227673165_bulletin.jpeg
    no i was using the upload manager

EDIT: Got it :)

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  7. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

8. scottland

scottland

would have been funnier if it hadn't taken me 15 minutes to figur out how to post it:p

9. Myhijim

Myhijim

Guys...... Let's make A PC console.

Settles all disagreements :p

10. khanstruct

khanstruct

Typical MMOs do not require precise timing. They send occasional messages to the server in order to check information. With an FPS, it requires precise information and it requires it immediately. That means there is a lot more traffic moving through the network, as its constantly having to keep track. This can easily be 10 times more traffic in the pipe than in a normal MMO.

Surely your desk is not the only flat surface in your house... So basically, you're choosing to not use a keyboard, whether they're available or not, and whether they're efficient, functional or comfortable or not. This is not an issue with consoles, its an issue with you and your personal preferences.

As we've said, your opinion is not fact, and it certainly doesn't apply to the vast majority of users. I also tend to play MMOs on my computer rather than the consoles, but that's just my choice. There are people far more experienced than me who seem to think consoles are a very viable market for online gaming. I tend to agree with them.

11. Devilbox-Games

Devilbox-Games

When I plug my PC into the TV to play games I sit on the couch with my bluetooth keyboard on my lap and mouse on the arm of the chair. It's very comfortable and usable.

12. Nightmare Games

Nightmare Games

both of these aren't releasing until around next winter :(

13. Nightmare Games

Nightmare Games

Does any one know if ps3 games will run on the ps4 yet?

14. Code_Of_Honour

Code_Of_Honour

They already said no, but they're working on streaming or something so you will be able to play your old titles. In other words, no you can't stick the disc in and play it, but you should be able to play your old games regardless.

15. CazicThule

CazicThule

This is irrelevant. Unity is fast becoming a serious pro development platform. If it wants to compete with Unreal, id, Crytek etc it HAS to support these platforms.

16. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

+1

17. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

So? There's 9 months until the PS4 even comes out.

18. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

Well, their not yours , but you can probably buy most of the popular games and play them on PS4 .

Big minus for me, since I still have PS3 games and I want to play them again . Maybe if they let you authenticate that you own the game by sticking the disk in and then let you stream it .

Although given sony's track record that would make just too much sense .

19. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

You could try using your PS3 to play those games.

20. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

3 things , First I ended up selling my PS3 and not the games( basically I was moving and I sent the games ahead of my move, and I friend wanted to buy the PS3 for a fair price .

Second , their are still great games on the PS3 , alot of people want real games they can hold , not a digital download .

Third , even for the gamer who still have a PS3 and buys a PS4 its stupid to have to plugin both boxes , have 2 sets of controllers , etc .

21. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

First, uh, that's a pretty ridiculous edge case you've gotten yourself into there.

Second, people's PS3s aren't going to dissolve into the aether upon the PS4 release.

Third, I don't think I've encountered a TV in the past seven years that supported HD but didn't include more than 1 HD input. It's an incredibly mild inconvenience.

22. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

The PS4 doesn't support Dualshock 3 . For my second point , if I want PS3 Game X and I buy a PS4 , I still have to buy a PS3( since I want a real disc , not a download ) . Sony is missing a big market by NOT supporting backwards compatibility .

My 3rd point is completely valid, a main selling point of the PS3 at launch was its support of PS2 games .

In reality theirs no reason Sony can't let me put a PS3 disc in the PS4 drive, send a message to their servers saying this guy has a PS3 game in his drive, lets stream him that game so he can play it .

But i guarantee you Sony is going to think , " hey we can charge keith again for games he already owns , GENIUS "

23. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

And Sony's stock took a pretty nasty dip after announcing the PS4, they seriously need to figure out how to not screw this launch up .

24. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

So basically this is your own fault for selling your PS3 but not your games.

There isn't. There's also no evidence they will or will not support this.

There's no evidence to support this either. This is just you raging against Sony.

No it wasn't. It was only supported in a two, very rare models that were discontinued after a scant few months and nobody except the most die hard of nerds cared. Backwards compatibility isn't a big deal to most people at all. Or do you not remember how only about 10 titles for the xbox worked on the 360 for the longest time? Most people don't care, which is why it's a pretty easy bandaid to rip off.

This happens to literally every company when they ever announce any product ever. See: Every single Apple product announcement.

25. Devilbox-Games

Devilbox-Games

Look at the last major announcements from any big tech company and for most of them their stock took nasty dips post-announcement even if critical and consumer opinion was entirely positive and the announced products were released to storming success. People who determine the value of these stocks are generally idiots with little concept of what will be a success or not.

Edit: MarigoldFleur beat me to it.

26. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

The vast majority of Wii's shipped with full support for gamecube games , some very late ones took it out .
    Backwards compatibility stops mattering about a year or so after it comes out once theirs enough games for the new system to stand on its own .

Overall I want a PS4( Killzone 4 alone is worth it , 3 was the best FPS this generation .), but Sony has to make it worth my time .

Give me instant game collection on playstation +( with streaming this could be awesome) , and a 400$ price point and they made a sell .

27. Nightmare Games

Nightmare Games

I heard you can play ps3 games on the ps4 but you have to rebuy your games if you have already bought that game, or just buy a new one(On a cloud system or ps4 store, something like that), so if watch dogs only comes out for the ps3 you can buy it for the ps4 becuase there will be a ps4 version, idk really this is what I heard, Im assuming they remake the games or optimize it for the ps4 since it is way different from the ps3

28. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

You heard wrong because Sony seriously hasn't said anything about this yet.

29. Nightmare Games

Nightmare Games

it was a rumor from ign, hopefully its true

30. scottland

scottland

Think about this sentence a bit

31. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

Why? That's a S***ty thing to be true. And even then, a lot of this stuff probably isn't even set in stone at this point.

32. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

Well, Killzone 3 was my favorite FPS this gen ...

33. scottland

scottland

What I ment was that you're saying its worth it for killzone, but Sony has to make it worth it

34. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

Yeah, its Saturday... umm . Assuming Sony doesn't do something stupid like make it cost 600$, or charge for online I'll buy it .

35. Ocid

Ocid

I know you said most MMO's but Planetside and Eve have had bigger battles than that since 2003. Also as far as I've heard(I've not played MAG) its not really a "true" 256 player battle. As in you'll never have all 256 players in the one area and uses some form of instancing to ensure the PS3 can handle it. Only what I've heard though.

Marigold hope you're not making a PC game since you've mentioned mentioned multiple times how much of a pain in the arse PC gaming apparently is, which it isn't. Its also many many times bigger than consoles. You don't need a 3 year upgrade cycle either to "keep up".

36. gsus725

gsus725

All of you are premature

37. Code_Of_Honour

Code_Of_Honour

...what?

38. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

I think that backwards compatibility is important if done right... IIRC the first PS3 had backwards compatibility but it was removed to make the console cheaper due to extra parts and it only played some ps2 and ps1 games.

The Wii on the other hand runs every GameCube games(unless it needs an exsesory presumably) and that is good, because well I can continue to play all my GC games... Same with the Wii-U, but IMO the Wii-U only cut off GC to make more money(The gamepad can run 480p) as the gamepad could run them and give a great experience and it uses the same architecture.

39. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

You can say it's "important if done right" all you want, but even Nintendo realised it wasn't worth the effort to maintain GCN backward compatibility as it was removed in later models.

40. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

What? Do you mean the Wii mini?

41. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

It was removed very VERY late in the console cycle . For the first few years it's important . Early adopters are likely to be repeat customers and its best to help them as much as you can .

No backwards compatibility = Anti-consummer . You can say , ohh those nerds are only a few people, but their the ones who speak the loudest and you need their support .

42. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

No, they removed it before then in the family edition as well.

No, no backward compatibility = cutting an unnecessary cost. You can wail and gnash your teeth all you want, but backwards compatibility simply does not affect most consumers.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  43. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

This is not to save money, actually I think the family edition still has the ability to play GC games they just didn't solder connectors on, IMO this is because Nintendo wanted to distance themselves from it so they can sell them as downloads on the Wii-U.

44. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

That doesn't even begin to hold up to any sort of scrutiny.

45. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

It affects people looking to upgrade .

As a consumer you lose nothing when they include a feature even if you wont use it . Thats like saying the PS4 shouldn't play DVD's ether since its an unnecessary cost . Your core gamer , the one who stands out in the cold on launch day , DOES care about this stuff . That's your business if you don't .

If they figure out away to let most PS3 games run streaming or something then on launch day Joe consumer can be ok with a small selection , since he still has loads of games to pick from .

46. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

Making it play DVDs is a completely incidental cost relative to a backward compatibility infrastructure that MAY OR MAY NOT EVEN EXIST. And you know what? Core gamers probably don't care at all! These people who are standing out on launch day? They will likely not be throwing away their PS3s.

It's almost like cutting support for that and not including the controller port connections saves an amount of money.

47. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

? If you put a GC game in one it still runs, but there is no controls due to the lack of controller. If you take apart the case there are holes for the connectors, just the cover has screws holding it shut. There is a connector inside the Wii, that presumably the GameCube memory card connector attaches to.

Without actually seeing it, the motherboard is supposed to actually have the pins there but no connector attached.

48. Nightmare Games

Nightmare Games

how much would the license for the ps4 be around? Since its supposed to be indie friendly, maybe unity might make the license affordable for indies? PLEASE anywhere from 500 -10,000 is fine with me and alot of people

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  49. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

You would pay $10,000?

50. Dabeh

Dabeh

I first read that as 10k - 500k.
    But doesn't the lowest value go first? Not 5 to 1. 1 to 5?