Search Unity

PS4 Xbox 720

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kbeaud, Feb 21, 2013.

1. kbeaud

kbeaud

When will Unity update to support these. We all know that there coming out this year, so Unity needs to update yet again to support these platforms!

2. Kinos141

Kinos141

Even if Unity updates itself for these systems, you won't be able to create something on them without buying a license from them. And they're not cheap.

3. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

That's probably not going to be true ... if PS4 and XB720 are more indie friendly/accessible/open, it could turn out that developing for them doesn't require a humungously expensive license, but rather something more along the lines of an android license or such. We'll see how it pans out, though... but saying that the future will = what things cost in the past is incorrect.

4. NoBullIntentions_P

NoBullIntentions_P

Tenner says it is.

5. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Yeah, we have no idea at this stage.

"Open to indies" could be something like XNA and PSSuite as compared to dev kit development a-la prior consoles. I dearly hope that they've learned from other platforms in the interim and that they'll take a less exclusive approach this time around, but the only way we'll know is to wait.

Also, kbeaud, knowing that these things are coming is not the same as knowing what needs to be known to make software for them. For starters, I very much doubt that Unity can do much to make their software support the PS4 until they actually have their hands on a PS4 and/or its dev kit hardware and any other requisite tools from Sony.

6. opsive

opsive

7. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

Where are you getting that idea exactly? They even make the PSMobile comparisons everyone else has been making.

8. opsive

opsive

When I think open, I think iOS or Android open. Almost like Xbox Live Indie Games, except not hidden away in the menus.

They are still going to require a devkit and it doesn't look like it is going to be cheap, either:

9. tigerfoot

tigerfoot

Open could also mean more familiar, more accessible and approachable hardware and it's features. But yes, in general, I expect that licenses for both PS4 and Xbox720 will be cheaper then before, but most probably far from free.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  10. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

You don't need a dev kit for a PSMobile like setup. Devkits are what you use when you're specifically targeting the hardware at a low level. Expecting iOS levels of open is unreasonable on its face.

11. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Doesn't the app store make only enough money to cover itself? If so, that seems like not what Sony would wan't if they sell the console at a loss then people buy one just to play casual games they would never make a profit?

12. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

No? Who told you that?

13. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

I swear I read it on these very forums :O (That the app store doesn't make Apple much money)

14. kingcharizard

kingcharizard

This is very premature, what was the point of this thread?

15. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

It doesn't make much money compared to other things that they do. It still makes a lot of money, though.

16. Pix10

Pix10

That may have been the case four years ago, but I imagine it's a very different story now.

A quick and dirty google reveals in Q2 2012 iTunes (which includes App Store) made $1.9 billion with operational overhead of $514m.

17. Myhijim

Myhijim

So they did call it 720? *sighs*

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  18. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

They actually called it 720? when was this announced?

19. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

No? It hasn't even been announced yet.

20. Myhijim

Myhijim

Sorry was meant to be a question :)

21. khanstruct

khanstruct

You realize that there is a very good chance that they actually will call it the 720 though. Not just because its another iteration of the 360, but because its the assumed name that everybody already knows.

So when they announce, "The XBox 720!" Everyone gets hyped and runs out to the store to buy the new XBox 720.

On the other hand, if they announce "The Flim Flam Game Box!" People may hear it in passing, not have any clue what they're talking about and just move on. By the time anyone cares about what you've announced, they've already bought their Playstation 4.

In marketing, its always more powerful to use a name that people will quickly recognize. In this case, the XBox 720 (because its what we've all been calling it).

22. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

They're certainly calling it the 720 internally. Whether that name is what they'll use when they finally release is yet to be seen; many people knew the Metro name prior to release, but that didn't stop them ditching it.

Anyway, from what I've heard, Unity are not developing PS4 support and are skipping straight to the PS5 because early prototypes have it coming with a built-in donut dispenser.

23. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

They could call it `xbox revolution` or some other spin on the xbox part.

24. Devilbox-Games

Devilbox-Games

I thought the internal name for it was Durango? I guess 720 could be being used casually internally in the same way it's used casually by fans and the press.

Xbox Revolution would be neat, though it would give a lot of people flashbacks to the Wii's original name ;)

25. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

The leaked presentations that came out more recently refer to it as the 720. Though the leaks could be fake, of course...

26. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

I'd put my money on fake. All signs ("Xbox music", "Xbox video", "Xbox games" and "Xbox smartglass" on Windows 8) point to them just calling it Xbox, apple style.

27. khanstruct

khanstruct

Apple style? You mean like the iPhone 47? They won't just call it XBox. They already had XBox. Going back to that name would be a terrible move in countless ways.

28. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

iMac, Macbook, Mac Pro, Mac Mini, (new) iPad, the iPhone is the only one they number. Anyway, just a guess, but we'll see. Colloquially most people refer to Xbox 360 as just "xbox", and I think they acknowledge that.

29. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Sigh... why do people insist on buying last years gaming PC :(

30. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

Because PC gaming is ridiculously expensive when you factor in upfront costs, offers an incredibly S***ty user experience and requires a lot of effort to keep up to date even if you just want to stick to a 3 year upgrade cycle. Console gaming offers a far better user experience.

31. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Yes, and you know you can run the top games for six years.... with minimal lag.

32. Dabeh

Dabeh

Because people buy hardware on the curve.

33. Starsman Games

Starsman Games

Because they are told they will be able to play the next 5 years worth of games on it without having to ever again upgrade it, while playing from the couch, without having to deal with keyboards and mice.

34. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

A S***ty user experience? Tell me why PC gaming sessions are around the 8hour period. compared to the console 3-4hour. (can't find the source post about user average playtime)

PC gaming has been drastically more of an experience for me than console.

All your other points are perfectly valid.

35. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

First, no. This is 100% false unless you spent several times more than the launch price of a console.

Second, you know how else I could do this? I could just buy a console and put the game in. That's it. Done. No messing around either buying an overpriced prebuilt computer or trying to figure out which parts are the most idea, no hardware or software incompatibility, no excessive price tag. I buy the console. I buy the game for that console that says the console's name on it in big letters.

Done.

People aren't playing games to bother themselves with the pointless minutiae that playing a game can entail. They're not playing them for the graphics. They're playing them to facilitate an in-game experience. PC gaming has huge steps in front of that that people who have a technical bias fail to see.

Because a PC audience draws a completely different crowd from a console audience. For all intents and purposes, most console gamers ARE casual players. They want to just sit down, pop a game in and play. It has nothing at all to do with PC games being more engaging at all.

36. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

I was talking about a console.

IMO most of these 8 hour sessions are probably MMORPG's, these are not available on a console and thus don't addict a player.

37. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

You're comment doesn't make much sense Tyler, If these 8 hour sessions are on MMORPGS (lets just cut the long acronym and say WoW) then how does that make WoW not addictive to the player? And why isnt there more MMO's on consoles?

I can understand that, because computing does just come naturally to me, I've seen friends fumble whilst trying to install programs, its scary to say the least.

EDIT: This is way off-topic, Apologies for starting this conversation. Ill stop posting from here
    -C

38. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

You're right, my comment didn't make much sense, I meant that because MMO's are not on consoles consoles don't have as long play times. IMO there are not many MMORPG's on consoles because of these problems:
    1. Typing, this is a bitch on everything except maybe Wii-U but it still is not ideal.
    2. Un controllable amount of players, if you play MMO's you know that it lags anything when there is an event or something like that.
    3. Monthly fees.

39. khanstruct

khanstruct

That's changing quickly though. Final Fantasy, DC Universe, Defiance (awesome game, btw).

There are tons of different keyboards for the PS3 and XBox 360.

Not sure where the problem is here. I played Mag, which was a 256 player FPS (more people in one battle than most MMOs ever have), and experienced no lag at all.

This is obviously an issue, but with the new networking capabilities of the next gen consoles, and the growing popularity of F2P games, this won't really be an issue soon.

40. NoBullIntentions_P

NoBullIntentions_P

My favourite (non mobile) games of this generation include Ni No Kuni, Uncharted 2 3, Heavy Rain, Forza Horizon, Yakuza 4, Tales of Graces F, Tales of Xillia, Fragile Dreams, Xenoblade Chronicles and The Last Story. How well would they run on a top class gaming PC?

41. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Three games is not a "quick" change.

That keyboard looks very uncomfotable. and unless it came bundled with it is not worth it.

256 players in a game is not nearly as much as a MMORPG.

F2P in its current form is not comparable to monthly fees, IE you would probably need to pay $600 to be good, compared to maybe $200 in cost and fees of pay to play.

I think having the game cost like normal game cost like here $79.95 with extra areas available as DLC or expansions. A cash shop is terrible.

42. khanstruct

khanstruct

That's the most current games, showing that, as new MMOs are coming out, they are being built for consoles. So you can expect that other future MMOs will also be using consoles.

As opposed to a comfortable keyboard? Here, take your pick. They range from around $10 to $100.

You clearly don't understand how MMOs work. Having 256 people in a single, twitch combat battle is far more intense than anything current MMOs do.

Companies often make more money from IAP games than subscription games. Most often, the IAP is simply aesthetic features, and have no bearing on gameplay. So, if you're a cheap player who just wants everything for free, the paying players are covering your cost because they're enjoying the game, not because it gives them an advantage.

43. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

Phantasy Star Online, Phantasy Star Online 2, Everquest Online Adventures, Final Fantasy XI, Final Fantasy XIV, Monster Hunter Frontier Online, Free Realms, Phantasy Star Universe, DCUO, White Knight Chronicles, White Knight Chronicles 2, Age of Conan, The Agency, Defiance... there's more, but need I really go on?

44. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Not really, these are not the big titles, why is guild wars 2 not on consoles yet?

I don't see one that looks usable in a game.

No I don't but I could start to think of how to make a 256 player FPS but I wouldn't like to think of say wow with classes etc.

I can't think of one MMO that only offers asthetic bonuses, see they all think that way to start with but then they add EXP bonuses, then weapons, then free levels, then one hit KO's.... that is how it works if it was just apparel then I would be fine with it.

All these games have one thing in common... they suck.

45. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

Don't try and pass your opinion off as being the be all, end all of things. It's incredibly dismissive and childish.

46. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

There is a reason most usually exist for a few years then the servers close down. And have no were near as many players as WOW or other PC MMO's.

47. nipoco

nipoco

Phantasy Star Online (for Dreamcast) is one of my favorite games all time...

Just because these games are not your cup of tea, doesn't mean they suck.

48. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

I liked Phantasy Star Online on GC. I was not stating my opinion rather a possibility as to why they are not as popular as PC games.

49. khanstruct

khanstruct

And then you list one title... cute.

They are just as usable and comfortable (oftentimes, more so) than any keyboard on a PC.

Classes? WTF? You think that's the big hit on networks? How many classes the game has? Not even close. In fact, movement usually accounts for 80% of network traffic in an MMO. Things like number of classes, weapons, etc., have nothing to do with it.

You're clearly bias and uninformed in this area. Stop speaking before knowing the facts; its making you look like a child throwing a tantrum. Good lord, man, you have the internet. Use it.

Millions of people disagree with you. You may want to think about that.

50. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

World Of Warcraft, RuneScape(who has actually said some of the reasons they are not on consoles.) LOTRO, Runes Of Magic...

I disagree.

Movement is also present in the FPS. Without actually making one I'm sure that checking the weapon someone has, making sure the damage they do is possible with that weapon making sure the class can do that much damage, making sure the enemy is actually there it doesn't sound nice to me.

As apposed to, check what gun is held, get the direction they shoot in and the position of the other player and check that it is in range.

I am informed. And you are being rude.