Search Unity

Bug PS4 & Switch Pro Controller not working (Steam & Bluetooth)

Discussion in 'Input System' started by Hysparions, Nov 26, 2020.

1. Hysparions

Hysparions

Hello everyone,

I just tried the new Input System which is incredibly easier to understand than the old one keep up the great work ! I had an issue unresolved for a month now.

I use version 1.0.1 - November 24, 2020

I have two Bluetooth controllers : Switch Pro from Power A and PS4 Dualshock
    In order to make them work, I use Steam to connect them to the laptop

I succesfully connected and detected the two of them (with custom layout for Switch one) and tried to make them work. However, their input debugger shows a mess where all inputs are changing with aberrant values while I Don't even touch the controller. I tried to look at the HID descriptor which contains 3000 elements, which is clearly Strange….

I upload a picture of the debugger.
    It seams that Steam modify the HID of the gamepads, and unity cannot read it. Steam is one of the greatest platform of video game and I want to share my game on it, this has to work.

This bug occurs with some of the most sold gamepads of the market, it would be a huge deception for me to modify all the inputs of my project. If someone had the same problem, I'll appreciate a tips

olivecrow likes this.
  2. olivecrow

olivecrow

Same problem.
    package version 1.0.1 and unity 2020.1.14

I think new input system cannot read correctly bluetooth connected controller.
    It seems to be able to read when my dualshock connected using usb.

I tried to check input actions like this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. InputSystem.onActionChange += (o, change) => Debug.Log($"{o} | {change}");
    But, no events were called except the left stick.

Hysparions likes this.
  3. brownbair

brownbair

Same here and it's weird because I was just using my Switch pro controller with the new input system a couple weeks ago and it was working fine. =\ Gonna try an earlier version of Unity I guess and see if that was it.

-- Edit --
    I will add that I'm not using Steam, just opening Unity (all recent versions) and using the new Input System package. Then I check the Input Debugger for my SwitchProControllerHID (connected via Bluetooth) and I get a bunch of buttons and stick values randomly and rapidly getting 'pressed'.

And as I mentioned above, not sure if this is Unity or the controller because it did work fine in a project a few weeks ago. I opened the exact same project with nothing in Unity changed, and all of a sudden it doesn't work. But at the same time, the OP is seeing this same behaviour with multiple controllers so . . .

I really do love the new input system and was looking forward to learning more of it so I hope this issue is resolved soon! =)

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
    laurentlavigne likes this.
  4. toyhunter

toyhunter

Same here! Unity please! Test it before release it.

5. Hysparions

Hysparions

I just tested my Dualshock without Bluetooth and it seems fine now. The problem seams to come from the Bluetooth connection that Input system doesn't handle well

6. brownbair

brownbair

Alas, I've tried my Switch Pro Controller both with Bluetooth and plugged directly into the USB and both return the same issue with haywire input. =\

7. brownbair

brownbair

UPDATE: Turns out restarting my computer, Unity, and reconnecting my pro controller has solved the issue. :confused:

8. seattleowl

seattleowl

yeah, 2020.1.13f1 Personal has the same bug. When will this get fixed?

9. seattleowl

seattleowl

I tried to restart my computer/unity to no avail.

10. gabrielcolmena

gabrielcolmena

Did anyone manage to solve this? initially i thought it was my mac, then the pro-controller, but I'm currently using the same control on openEmu and it works like pretty well. When i'm wired Unity doesn't even get the logs from the inputs, but when i'm from bluetooth it gets pure random inputs

11. MikeM1970

MikeM1970

I was encountering the same problems mentioned here while connected via USB: Switch Pro sending erratic input to the Input debugger, no inputs firing at runtime, even though InputSystem.onDeviceChange picked it up fine, connecting and disconnecting, so it definitely knows it's there, and knows what it is.
    Macbook Pro 2017 / Catalina
    Unity 2019.4.15f1
    Input System 1.0.1

It started working after I switched to bluetooth (it will show up as two controllers if connected via USB and bluetooth at the same time, so I end up disconnecting the USB to do this)- I know others here say they haven't had luck with bluetooth, but thought I'd mention it and my specs in case that helps. Wired mode does not seem to work in any case - even though it will appear to Unity as a controller, its input is messed up.

12. B4ttleCat

B4ttleCat

Same issue (macOS 11.1 Big Sur, Switch Pro). As soon as I hit Play my player controller goes berserk with chaotic input. I wish Unity were more interested in fixing these bugs, it makes it hard to adopt new features when they're so busted.

13. unity_uH-ffL2JjQ2zVQ

unity_uH-ffL2JjQ2zVQ

Same issue here too, macOS 11.4, Switch Pro.

14. Jnicocom

Jnicocom

Heimlink likes this.
  15. McPeppergames

McPeppergames

Any news on this yet???

16. Heimlink

Heimlink

Had a similar issue with the Dualshock 4 (PS4) via Bluetooth. No issues with USB. Posted in another thread, but seems that there is more activity in this one.

I was hoping to try my Switch Pro Controller tonight too, but sounds like it has similar issues.

17. McPeppergames

McPeppergames

Heimlink likes this.
  18. zh99998

zh99998

I have same problem in Unity 2021.1 and InputSystem 1.1.0-pre5
    It's so serious that will make gamepad totally unusable and It's reported near a year and there is no any response nor updates from Unity.

FearIndigo and Heimlink like this.
  19. atrivedi7

atrivedi7

We're considering switching to the new Input System. Can anyone confirm if these issues have been addressed? Currently the package version available to use is 1.3.0.

Any insight is greatly appreciated :)