Search Unity

PS4-400$ price tag and no DRM.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dxcam1, Jun 11, 2013.

1. dxcam1

dxcam1

:D, I might have to become a fanboy.

2. nipoco

nipoco

Yeah some great news that makes me exited (and I'm a SEGA fanboy)

That is the way how to threat your customers and indie devs. Go and learn MS!

3. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I did NOT expect that!! And I will be getting a PS4 :)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  4. opsive

opsive

5. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

My jaw literally hit the floor.. I havent bought a console since the xbox original becuase honestly, i thought consoles sucked after the ps2.. And im buying the ps4, I cant believe what and incredible job they've done in:

a) making and amazing product
    and
    b) demolishing microsoft into the ground

Shut up and take my money.

6. dxcam1

dxcam1

Wow, I never would of thought sharing games like that.

7. Metabble

Metabble

The moment Microsoft unveiled the Xbox One, every Sony employee at once realized that Sony had won the lottery. It's not even that Sony did such a great job, although they did; it's that Microsoft basically did everything in its power to fail. This E3 will be remembered for a very, very long time.:razz:

Also, that video was hilarious. The only thing that could've made it better was a "Step 2: ???" before the fade to black, since we all know the result will be profitable.

8. nipoco

nipoco

LOOOOOOOOOOOOL

What a great skit against MS.

Just because of that funny Ad, I'm going to get a PS4

9. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

So:

- gives everyone what they ask for
    - has destiny plus other cool titles
    - has more direct brute force under the hood (always a good thing)
    - sees itself as a gaming machine

Hm. I think it's going to be a good year for Sony.

10. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

PS4 is the mashed potatoes, and the Unity indie devs on PS4 is the gravy... (GLAD TO BE A UNITY DEVELOPER)... and I loved the X1, but MS just F***ed up...and here is an equally funny video...

[video=youtube_share;REVl4skqqUg]http://youtu.be/REVl4skqqUg

11. dxcam1

dxcam1

Definitely, the GPU alone was enticing me to get it. This sealed the deal.

12. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I am still wondering how the indie publishing stuff will work for Unity Devs... my interest is through the roof now... and plus, PS4 feels like old school gaming all over again... I can lend my buddies my games whenever I want :)

13. dxcam1

dxcam1

Yep, don't know about anyone else but I'm a huge KH fan so I have to buy it.

14. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

THIS. THIS. this got me out of my seat, I want nothing more than this.

15. AlexLeighton

AlexLeighton

Good on Sony, it would have been super easy for them to adopt the same policies as Microsoft has chosen to, and people would have moaned and groaned until something good came out. But then they would have just dealt with it and we'd be a little bit further down the slippery slope towards having some computer in another country deciding which of the things you've paid for you're allowed to interact with today.

16. dxcam1

dxcam1

17. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

18. Metabble

Metabble

Yes. The Used Game Troll Video even says so at the bottom. It's not that bad, though, considering PS+ is only four bucks a month if you buy a year at a time and gives subscribers access to free games and discounts.

19. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

+1. costs pretty much the same as Xbox live except you get much better freebies and stuff. If you're gonna buy a next gen console you're gonna be paying for online (if thats what you want)

20. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Oh, I agree that it's a great service. I'm already subscribed, as it was such a good way to stock up my available titles for the Vita, and that might be a part of the reason why it doesn't really bother me. (The other part of the reason is that in 6 years I've played online on my PS3 all of twice.) But they're pushing it pretty hard, and now does seem the opportune time to shuffle it in while people won't get upset about it.

21. RichardKain

RichardKain

PS+ subscription being required for multiplayer was the only negative news I saw in that presentation. Everything else was coming up roses. Sony gave Microsoft a swift kick in the groin.

Microsoft's decisions with the XBox One are definitely more bold than Sony's plans for the PS4. Microsoft is pushing hard for a digital future that is in many ways inevitable. But the inertia they're fighting against is significant. By going with the status-quo with how games are distributed and used, Sony has gained a major advantage for the first few years of this console cycle. The fact that the PS4 is entirely capable of handling all-digital titles as well negates any long-term advantages Microsoft would have had from their strategy as well. (same HDD sizes too)

And a BIG difference is the $100 price disparity. That is going to pay off very well for Sony, both in the short and long term for the PS4.

22. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

What makes the Ps4 better than the Xbox One except for the game sharing and cost?

23. derkoi

derkoi

You forgot about the PS4 being $100 cheaper too. :)

I preordered my PS4 the day after they announced it. :p

24. Wild-Factor

Wild-Factor

Well Xbox can easily suppress the Drm/validation things with a small update.
    They did this to convince more dev to publish titles on xbox one. And if all great game are on Xbox one because dev earn 40% without piracy and used game, this can be a big argument for customer too....

I prefer the philosophioe of sony :)

I own a PS3 and a X360, and I will probalby bought a PS4 and maybe a xbox one :)

PS4 100$ less, with kinect include ?

25. nipoco

nipoco

PS4 has some damn fine controllers with features that the XBox doesn't have. So...

26. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Well that's the thing. Much of it probably is an inevitability, but Microsoft is trying to drag people forward kicking and screaming. Sony's offering gives people what they want now, without forcing negative bits of the future down their throats, all while being well positioned to be able to deliver all of the good parts in the future if people want them.

No one thing alone that the Xbox One does would be too bad on its own. For instance, plenty of games already hold a chunk of core content or multiplayer functionality hostage behind a first-buyer's code that a second-hand buyer or someone who's borrowed a game has to pay for as DLC, so even the "pay to use games on other systems" alone probably wouldn't be too bad. But they're trying to push a lot of change very quickly, with a significant amount of it being negative.

A broader positioning between the two seems to be becoming clear. Microsoft has positioned itself more or less squarely with publishers, focussing on control of digital rights at the expense of the consumer, and offering much less support for smaller studios and/or "indie" titles. On the other hand, Sony seems to be positioning themselves with their consumers by offering less controlling (and cheaper) stuff, and they're supporting the move towards small studios and/or "indie" stuff which seems to be a growing movement (though my point of view there is biased, considering the culture I hand around in - it could be that Average Joe Gamer has actually never heard of the plethora of indie titles that I see literally every day) among gamers who seem to increasingly want more variety than mainstream AAA games seem to be providing.

27. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Not to mention that the Kinect just outright doesn't interest a huge number of people. While it's great for a whole bunch of stuff, not everyone wants that stuff.

And if Microsoft are right and in 3 years time everyone will want it... Sony can sell one as an add on for a pretty reasonable price.

28. dxcam1

dxcam1

I think you people are forgetting that the PS4 includes the pseye.

29. Agent_007

Agent_007

30. Forge Vault

Forge Vault

That commercial is hilarious

31. LaneFox

LaneFox

Too bad the superbowl is over, this would have been Ad of the year.

32. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Before the hype and mindless gibbering takes place over this amazing announcement, can I just point out that historically, it's always been like this, ie you MIGHT buy a second hand game and save 10 dollars.

Personally, it's not a deal breaker for me as I want to have both consoles when budget permits, because for me, there will be excellent titles on both platforms. I'm not going to ignore halo 5 and other cool games that will no doubt be console exclusive.

I just miss the days when PC had it all :p

33. Dabeh

Dabeh

Looks like I'll be buying a PS4, no brainer, but I'll also be getting an XBox one..

Also, used games are huge profit margins for game retailers and in my opinion it's very unfair putting it simply. Some will actually push for you to buy the used game long after you explicitly say you wanted the new game and this has happened to me a few times.

34. LaneFox

LaneFox

I really don't mind the markup honestly. I trade in games I havent played in ages and get a few bucks toward a game I'll actually play and in turn the local store has a gigantic supply of games I can tap into and get on my console in <10 minutes. Then again, if there are online services for this I would sooner use that - like Steam does on PC, I think I have like 4 PC games in boxes on the shelf, and >80 in my Steam library.

35. ZJP

ZJP

An original confrontation this time. Microsoft seems to apply to the "middle class" and Sony with "Gamers". As Android vs. IOs. Microsoft's business model may be more profit while having a smaller installed base than Sony.

36. RichardKain

RichardKain

I'm not overly concerned about second-hand games either. I try not to purchase games from GameStop, and its gotten increasingly easy to avoid this ever since they stopped carrying previous generation titles.

What I DO like about the PS4 is that the games for it are going to be infinitely more collectible than the XBox One titles. Once you've purchased an XBox One title the disc and physical case might as well be a coaster. Not so with the PS4. The XBox One dreams of a digital future where my shelves of game cases are meaningless. The PS4 will allow me to continue collecting games. And I enjoy collecting games.

37. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

Agreed, but one thing the xbone policy completely eviscerates is redbox, which I use pretty frequently, especially for single player games.

38. khanstruct

khanstruct

Its not a matter of buying used games for me. People often trade games with their friends for a few days. This is no longer possible on the XBox.

However! I did see a little scrolling text that said you would be able to "gift" a game to a friend (once) if you've been friends with that person more than 30 days... I'm not sure how they think this solves the problem. It feels like a bad patch job over a gaping problem.

39. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

No one mentioned the look! Elegant, Juicy, and Sexy are always in style. The PS4 is the sexy swan, next to the ugly duck that is XBox One.

40. meta87

meta87

Very impressed by Sony's presentation. It was cool that they highlighted some indie games and are allowing self publishing.

Looking forward to the Unity support :)

41. BIG-BUG

BIG-BUG

This certainly puts some pressure on Microsoft. However, I don't think the "war" is over yet and I decide if and which it will be after both consoles are available and all facts are on the table, not half a year in advance :)

42. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

I'm still dreaming about the amazing cool stuff that an indie developer could do with that powerful PS4 hardware... although it remains to be seen how open the platform will be or what hoops/budgets have to be jumped through.

43. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

44. Starsman Games

Starsman Games

It's my understanding the PS4 has a slightly or significantly faster CPU.
    It is a much smaller box that makes the Xbox one look like an old bulky VCR (not that the Xbox needed help in that department)
    And... well if you happen to lose internet connectivity for over 24 hours the Xbox one stops working until it can get back online and re-validate.

Also they got something going that they learned from Nintendo: First Party titles. They may not be here yet, but expect God of War, Uncharted and other not so famous but still significant games like Ratchet and Clank. Microsoft seems to have (as far as I know) only Halo as a lock-in series.

Oh I still have not gone deep checking this but it sounds like Sony is being very supportive of indies self-publishing for digital distribution on the PS4 while Microsoft made statements already that you need to get a publisher.

Mind you, for me, the fact that I actually own my games is enough. I will very likely be getting a PS4 and not an Xbox, and I say this as someone who primarily played Xbox during the bulk of this game generation. It's good to see also that Sony humbled down big time. During the launch of the PS3 they were extremely arrogant, had next to no titles, were asking $600 for the machine, and openly bragging how people would line up to buy the thing even if they had no games. They hit the ground hard, humbled up, and learned to respect their players. I hope they don't go way over their heads again, it seems to have happened to Microsoft this time around.

45. Kinos141

Kinos141

I knew there was a reason I loved Sony.

Dear Sony God, thanks for listening.

46. TwiiK

TwiiK

I bought the Xbox 360 because I'm a huge Halo fan. Games has always been what sold consoles for me. Before that I had both the PS2 and Xbox for the same reason.

1. Xbox One gave the finger to indie game developers. Meaning PS4 will get a lot more indie games, and most of the games I have on my Xbox 360 are indie games. +1 for PS4.
    2. Xbox One won't let us borrow games from our friends nor lend our games away. +1 PS4
    3. Xbox One will require a near constant internet connection. +1 PS4
    4. Xbox One costs more because you're forced to buy their advanced, always watching, bullshit webcam which I will never ever use. +1 PS4 (not so much because of the price, but because of the principle)

As for the games I've seen nothing that has made me want either console at the moment. I will wait and see. However I don't think there's anything Microsoft can show me that will make me consider an Xbox One if they don't change the above points.

47. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

I find the design for the ps4 controller sexy as hell.

Very similar to previous controllers but definitely a further improvement. I like the silhouette in the first picture (below). Also the trigger shape of the R2 and L2 buttons are great, right? I always liked that from xbox 360 controller, but it looks even better in ps4 controller imo.

Pics:

48. Starsman Games

Starsman Games

It will use you, though. :)

49. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

But it's not even about "second hand". It's about going over to a mates place to play the latest game and not being able to. It's about my girlfriend and I both having a console and not being able to play games we buy on both of them. It's about not being able to swap games with mates, or rent something new over a weekend. (Edit: Of course you can do all of these things, if you're willing to pay for the privilege in each case.)

It's about having to pay to activate my games on a new console when my first one dies. And lets face it, even putting Microsoft's reputation in that area aside, any console will eventually die of old age, and at this stage it looks like Microsoft would have you pay for the privilege of playing games that you already bought.

Even Steam and Sony's digital distro let you install on multiple hardware instances.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  50. ScottyB

ScottyB

Not defending Microsoft or anything, but where has this been stated? As far as I've heard/read, games will be tied to you Xbox Live account not you actual Xbox. Sure you have to set a specific Xbox as your "primary" Xbox so that you only have to check in every 24 hours instead of every hour but I haven't heard/read that there is a fee to change what is your "primary" Xbox in the event of an Xbox failure. If there is a fee, then that is another negative in Microsoft's side.