Search Unity

PS3 controller fine in editor not working in builds

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Glowing_Slab, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Glowing_Slab

Glowing_Slab

Everything was fine up to Unity 2018.1.4f1, PS3 controller with OSX drivers working fine in editor and build. Any version of Unity higher than 2018.1.4f1 and PS3 controller is non responsive in builds. I've built a tiny test project to demo this and already submitted it as a bug, but in the meantime I'm curious if anyone else is having this issue? Do other people even use PS3 controllers on their Macs?

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

I do occasionally use them, but I haven't tried it under 2018.1.4f1. That's very disturbing — you'd think one HID device would work as well as another. Do other gamepads/joysticks still work for you?

3. Glowing_Slab

Glowing_Slab

Hi, just to clarify - the PS3 controller works in 2018.1.4f1, but not any version after that. I haven’t tried any other controllers (I don’t have any here!) but I’ve ordered an Xbox One controller and PS4 controller to test.

PS3 controller support on OSX is fairly modest, but OSX does have drivers for the controller and there are OSX games that support them.

4. eelstork

eelstork

Seeing the same with a controller that's well supported on macOS. Here's my config:
    - Unity 2018.2.0f2
    - Logitech F310 (that's the wired version)
    - High Sierra 10.13.6

To confirm the symptoms again:
    - Works in editor
    - Does not work in build
    - Was working before (just moved from 2017 so I expect Glowing Slab is more current about which version broke it)

Have an Xbox controller here that I usually don't plug into Macs because it's less straightforward. Might give it a try but not expecting a win today.

File a bug?

5. Glowing_Slab

Glowing_Slab

eelstork likes this.
  6. eelstork

eelstork

Thanks for the update. I'm confused as to how they consider this fixed or not though. Can't vote on it, but the "fixed" version is earlier than the broken versions...

Glowing_Slab likes this.
  7. anthony-pinskey

anthony-pinskey

Any updates on this? I am experiencing the same thing with any controller but specifically an Xbox 360 Controller as well. It works fine in the editor but doesn't work in the standalone build. This is on 2018.2.1. It worked fine until I upgraded from 2018.1.9.

8. eelstork

eelstork

That's not going to be a solution for everybody but, I switched to 'Rewired'; it doesn't have this problem right now (it doesn't!) and more importantly, supporting a wide range of controllers via standard input is not practical.

Also, tried downgrading my project earlier but, while version increments are tiny, this broke most (all?) prefabs so, be careful and stick to version control; there's a lesson for me here that games need comprehensive retest before going with a Unity upgrade.

Glowing_Slab likes this.
  9. Glowing_Slab

Glowing_Slab

eelstork likes this.
  10. Glowing_Slab

Glowing_Slab

Good news, everyone! I just got this reply from the Unity team:
    "Sorry for this situation. That was an error from our side. The issue is actually fixed and will be available in the next release of 2018.2. However, it was marked as fixed too early."

anthony-pinskey and eelstork like this.
  11. anthony-pinskey

anthony-pinskey

Thanks for the update! Cheers!

Glowing_Slab likes this.
  12. Glowing_Slab

Glowing_Slab

So its working fine in 2018.2.4f1, but like @eelstork I think I'm going to switch to Rewired after trying to get both the PS3 controller and a PS4 controller working.

13. Johnbuizerd

Johnbuizerd

i just updated to 2018.2.7f1 (from 2017)
    And this bug is now happening to me.

14. Glowing_Slab

Glowing_Slab

oh no, going to test now with 2018.2.7f1...

15. Glowing_Slab

Glowing_Slab

Seems okay for me in 2018.2.7f1.