Search Unity

PS Vita disconnects

Discussion in 'PSM' started by AlexGK, Apr 29, 2014.

1. AlexGK

AlexGK

Hello:

I've been using these Unity PSM tools in a couple of computers by now, and also been working in a project. All good so far.

But I tried installing them on another computer using Windows 8 (previous ones use W8 too, 32-bit and 64-bit). For some reason, after installing everything, my PS Vita disconnects when and only when running the PSM Development Assistant for Unity. Therefore, it won't show up on the device list of the Publishing Utility.

2. PeterD

PeterD

Double check the drivers on the PC have been installed when you installed the Unity PSM tools on the PC. Without the driver the Vita shows as a generic USB device and so does not get the handshake it was expecting. You can check the drivers are correctly working by connecting the vita and seeing what it shows up as in windows device manager.

3. AlexGK

AlexGK

Driver is in place. It shows as "PlayStation Vita" when Dev Assistant is closed, and as "PSM USB Debug (COM6)" when Dev Assistant is running.
    As I said, I got it working on TWO computers before this one. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the tools several times.

Something weird I noticed is that, upon reinstallation, the Publishing Utility keeps loading my publishing key, even though I've completely deleted all tool files.

4. AlexGK

AlexGK

Well, apparently my computer isn't allowing PsmDeviceForUnity.exe to fetch the device list.

$Untitled.png

Any clues? I tried clearing permissions on the tools folder, and opening ports in the firewall. No success yet.

5. jesusluvsyooh

jesusluvsyooh

Could be a windows User Access Control problem (UAC), run everything as 'administrator' or turn UAC off in user settings.
    I'd recommend fully turning it off, restarting and trying again, if it doesn't work you can always turn it back on, but at least it rules out UAC.
    Unless it is that and it fixes it ahah

6. AlexGK

AlexGK

That did not do it. I completely disabled UAC (even by changing its value on its registry).
    Running out of ideas.

7. PeterD

PeterD

Just a longshot but, is this windows 8 or 8.1?

Only it may simply be a case of checking that you have allowed PSM through the firewall.

8. AlexGK

AlexGK

8.1, but one of my computers also has this version, and PSM works there.

I already tried turning both the firewall and UAC off completely, and it still doesn't work.

9. PeterD

PeterD

It's very odd as it sounds like the vita is being picked up correctly i.e it's reporting as PSM USB Debug

Are you sure you have set PSM on the PC to not use a proxy and have your publisher key correctly installed on this new machine. Remember that if you change your publisher key it invalidates any apps you made with the previous key and if you don't have the correct key on your PC it's going to refuse the connection to the vita.

10. AlexGK

AlexGK

Correct Publishing key is available on this machine. I actually reset it several times.

I tried turning Windows Defender and uninstalling my antivirus, with no success.

11. GrahamReeves

GrahamReeves

Unity Technologies

This is a very long shot, and don't think it's the case, but might be worth a shot; Could something else (not PsmDeviceForUnity.exe) have that port open and is intefereing?

if you run (as administrator)
    you should see an output like
    In my case, daemonu.exe is actually an nvidia driver update checker, (though not interfering)

Also, have you tried changing the COM port to a different one? [Edit: this probably isn't possible actually if it disconnects the port when dev assistant is opened]

Last edited: May 7, 2014
  12. PeterD

PeterD

Put your anti-virus back!

The vita is purely using the web connection (on device) and usb driver (on PC). You need to have a valid wifi connection on the vita as it verifies the key when you do an install and presumably when you run too.

The fact that it reports as PSM USB Debug means the PC can happily see the vita. Run the PSM on windows and see what the status of the device shows as. You'll need to do this while PSM is running (and started) on the vita too i.e. while it is on the blue screen and not the web interface with the big start button.

You then need to leave the device active and with PSM running when you build in unity.

13. AlexGK

AlexGK

I installed the newest version of the tools, and my problem still persists (at least, I can work on my other couple of computers, but it is a problem that should not exist in the first place).

Tried it, and no program was using that port (8484). I made a small program to catch the error code:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gem27eua8r3yaef/errorCode.png

I also retried fetching the device list, and now I'm getting this. Not sure if I messed something up with .NET:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k5u72wgsw42syfr/psmdeviceexe.png

Not sure if you meant the Publishing Utility. I can't create a build in Unity.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v8aes7ua1tr6krx/nodevicelist.jpg

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  14. PeterD

PeterD

Unity has both a "Build" and "Build and Run" option when creating your executable. The Build option will create the basic files but, NOT compile them into the final package. The Build and Run option will both build the files and use PSM to compile them into a release package, before copy them to an attached Vita.

So I have to ask what you mean when you say you can't create a build in unity.

15. AlexGK

AlexGK

Sorry I wasn't clear enough. Yes, I can create a Build, yet I can't make it run on my PS Vita.

Also, I fixed the links to the images in my previous post.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  16. PeteD

PeteD

Ok can you check the following.

Open PSM on your PC and select the following menus Help -> Version Information

There should be three modules listed in the resulting about screen. The versions you should have are as follows.

Publishing Utility for Unity Version 1.2.0.4
    PSMDeviceForUnity.exe Version 1.1.0.1
    PSM Tool Set Version 1.1.0.4

Also ensure that you have the final release version of UnityPSM installed (should have installed to it's own directory or directly over the preview version.

From the look of the error message your PC is unable to see the connected device. So it looks like the correct USB driver is not installed.

17. AlexGK

AlexGK

Check.
    Check.

18. PeterD

PeterD

Ok now turn up the volume (not a trick). When you connect your vita you should hear a tone from your pc when the Vida connects to the USB driver.

This tone will sound every time the vita connects and disconnects via the USB. What you will find is that, if the vita goes into sleep mode it will disconnect. If you close PSM for UNITY on the vita you will hear the tone. If the vita disconnects due to other software on the vita running in the background i.e. like vita messaging activating to sync the system with PSN etc. etc. If this tone isn't happening then your USB driver isn't correctly installed.

19. AlexGK

AlexGK

I forgot to bring the USB cable with me today, but I'm 100% certain my computer detects it with no problem, as I previously posted.

20. blackbird

blackbird

i got that problem but i found out that the connection stay stable only when you make build instate of build and run

21. PeteD

PeteD

The only way I can re-create your issue is if I deliberately bork the USB driver. So I'm going to say it's definitely in that area. Have you tried plugging the vita into different USB ports? Maybe the port itself is the issue.

22. AlexGK

AlexGK

I tried; no changes.

This is what is displayed on the Device Manager, while my PS Vita is connected to my PC (without and with Dev Assistant open, respectively).
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/tx48vby446ecqx1/usbpsvita.png

23. PeterD

PeterD

Have you applied the free update to windows 8.1 via the windows store?

There have been a number of ongoing fixes applied to windows via windows update. I found a few that were directly related to comms. If you have your updates set to manual you may simply be running an out of date set of system drivers. Of course, if you had it set to manual you're going to have a huge set of updates to apply....:eek:

24. Black_Eagle

Black_Eagle

Its a bug in the dev assistant. You have to delete all apps in the dev assistant then keep restarting it until it comes up with PSM Debug Connected then problem solved

25. jesusluvsyooh

jesusluvsyooh

Works fine for me and many others i know haha, maybe you have a faulty cable?

26. PeterD

PeterD

No...no you don't. The installed apps in dev assistant in no way affect the connection between the vita and the pc.

27. AlexGK

AlexGK

I tried to install Windows Phone SDK, and the installer didn't work, which led me to think there was some kind of software conflict involved. So, after a LONG TIME, I finally decided to format my HDD and reinstall Windows 8.

First thing I did was to install PSM tools. I noticed the Publishing Utility was asking for .NET Framework 3.5. Not sure if I had it installed on my previous setup. Most likely, it wasn't.

Anyway, I followed these steps: http://www.askvg.com/how-to-install...ine-in-windows-8-without-internet-connection/

And bingo, now the toolset is functional on this machine.

I'm not sure if this is a useful workaround for other scenarios (like not formatting the HDD).