Search Unity

Feedback Proxy Condition weighting

Discussion in 'Unity MARS' started by thatnzguy, Sep 15, 2021.

1. thatnzguy

thatnzguy

When filtering planes by conditions, and forces, (plane size, alignment, floor tag etc) it would be helpful to be able to assign a weight to different conditions so that I can find the most favorable position.

If this already exists, let me know :D

2. jmunozarUTech

jmunozarUTech

Unity Technologies

Hey there!,

Unfortunately you cannot as of right now assign "weights" on proxy inspectors for being able to organize your inspectors in a certain way; we will look into this and assess how feasible it is. Nonetheless thanks for your feedback! :)

3. thatnzguy

thatnzguy

I presented Unity MARS to our team of experienced MR developers, and we were surprised to not see this feature. Without it, the developer has quite little real control over the placement of objects, and honestly we hesitate to use the placement features because of this

4. Jono_Unity

Jono_Unity

Unity Technologies

Hey @thatnzguy, we don't currently have explicit weighting. We agree this is important, and have a feature in the pipe to expose condition weights, which will be coming shortly.

In the meantime, you may be able to achieve what you're looking for by using a few proxies in tandem, set up as a series of fallbacks (if A doesn't find a good match, try B). One way to do this is with the MatchAction, which lets you call events on a match or (in this case) failure to match. Have Proxy B inactive in the scene, and use A's MatchAction to activate B on timeout, like in the following image. You may want to again use MatchAction on both proxies to update your content based on which proxy does get the match.
    upload_2021-9-16_11-24-34.png

Thank you for the feedback about weighting! We'll be updating the recommended way to achieve this effect once we ship the weighting feature.