Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

ProWorld - Procedural World Generation

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by tertle, Oct 4, 2012.

1. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

Great.

A few more questions.

1. I'm publishing to Mobile and Unity Terrain is too many draw calls. Is there a UnityTerrain to Mesh output. Or what is the recommended workflow for ProWorld to Mobile ?
    2. Can ProWorld work with T4M ?

2. Craig-F

Craig-F

Hi Tertle, I've searched for more information regarding how to stitch together multiple terrains but I'm unable to find anything. I can't seem to get to the World Window to stitch together multiple terrains. If possible could you give me a more detailed walk through for this procedure. Thanks for your time.

3. tertle

tertle

That feature was removed temporarily when I rebuilt from scratch in ProWorld 2.0 and only re-added quite recently so if you haven't updated do so.

Its found under the apply window, called something multi terrain or something similar. If you select the (correct amount of) terrain you want to apply to, it'll give you a popup to apply to those terrain otherwise it'll just create the terrain from scratch.

If you find it's not stitching together correctly please let me know.

4. Craig-F

Craig-F

Yes it was an update issue, thanks for the quick response! There was another issue I have encountered though. I have trees made with Unity Tree Creator with a capsule collider parented to the tree. These trees can still be placed using Pro World Entities however they do not have any collision properties once they are placed through Pro World. Am I going about this in the correct way? Thanks again

5. SkullKing

SkullKing

I am very interested in this product, however before buying I want to confirm a few things. Sorry if they were asked before, just wanting to be throughout.

Is it compatible with unity free?

Once the terains is generated, can it be saved and edit normally withthe unity terrain engine. like a hand crafted unity terrain or does it have extra limitations?

Is it compatible with the tree creator?

6. tertle

tertle

100% I believe.

Yep, you can create some rules then output them to normal terrain and then edit it by hand for more detail. Just if you make changes by hand then try use ProWorld again those will be erased.

You can though import heightmaps from terrain directly into ProWorld this lets you do this.

Create rules, output to terrain
    Edit terrain by hand
    Import edited terrain as a node into ProWorld
    Create rules using the edited terrain

The only limitation is you can currently only import heightmaps. It's not really possible to import textures correctly with how ProWorld works. I have been meaning to add some sort of hackish version at least but it's pretty complicated with layers.

Craig F above you is reporting that there is an issue with it at the moment so I'm going to check it out when I get home (~6hours). I'll get back to you on that!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  7. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

Hey Tertle,

Can you please answer these questions.

1. I'm publishing to Mobile and Unity Terrain is too many draw calls. Is there a UnityTerrain to Mesh output. Or what is the recommended workflow for ProWorld to Mobile ?
    2. Can ProWorld work with T4M ?

8. tertle

tertle

Hi rocki, I did get your PM and wasn't ignoring it. I was just heading out and didn't get time to reply to it.

It currently doesn't not output to Mesh. I was having a little bit of a research before and I can probably get it to output to mesh easy enough so I'll look into doing it this weekend. I'll start with only terrain to begin with, but I can probably output textures as well.

As for T4M, I've never used it but I understand it doesn't use Unity Terrain so at the moment no. It may work if I get output to mesh done.

9. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

Hey Tertle,

Thanks for the reply.
    That would really so Awesome, the high draw calls from Unity Terrain would totally drop and should make any potential mobile customers Very Very Happy.

Cheers.

10. kenlem

kenlem

I miss the random generation buttons. :) Are those coming back?

11. Jude-Caird

Jude-Caird

Hey is there any way to speed up rendering time? Im having this problem where the character is colliding with an invisible terrain! Otherwise the asset is totally great.

12. tertle

tertle

Umm, I probably won't add those back... BUT! i might release a few extra demo .pw files which you could just load then use the global seed button to get the same effect of the old random generation. Also has advantage of I can just release them on forum to download or whatever without having to publish a new build.

Not 100% sure what the problem is. Rendering should be handled by Unity, not really sure why you'd hit invisible terrain.

13. kulesz

kulesz

Will there be a grass support soon?

14. tertle

tertle

It's coming sooner than you might expect ;)

-edit- scrap that issues arose =( Maybe sometime... sorry!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  15. kulesz

kulesz

Before the weekend or after? :p

16. Jude-Caird

Jude-Caird

The invisible terrain thing was just a texture issue. Are there any bugs when used in builds, the landscape is generated and I get this:

UnityException: Entity counts don't match.
    WorldBuilder.Start () (at Assets/ProWorld/Scripts/World/WorldBuilder.cs:52)[/I][/B]

17. virror

virror

Nice to see that this is still worked on : )
    Grass support would be nice, using my own hacked together solution for that atm but would be way better to have it integrated : )

18. shoo

shoo

I ALWAYS have error:
    Assets/ProWorld/Editor/MapEditor/Nodes/Generator/SimplexNodeGUI.cs(23,21): error CS1061: Type `SimplexNoise' does not contain a definition for `SetSeed' and no extension method `SetSeed' of type `SimplexNoise' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
    What's wrong I doing?

19. virror

virror

Try to remove the whole ProWorld folder and redownload maybe?

20. BitRain

BitRain

Can I use this to create random infinite terrain?

21. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

Hi Tertle,

Any news of being able to export to Mesh ? and also IOS publishing.

Thanks.

22. virror

virror

Any news? : p

23. tertle

tertle

yep thats what it does

You can already kind of do this in a roundabout way. Export to unity terrain then just export the heightmap. Not convenient I know. I guess you want real-time. This may be the one feature I /may/ have time to work on in the next month or so. No promises I'll see.

Anyway update on my situation. I haven't been around because I went back to uni to do my masters so I simply haven't had much/any time to work on stuff. Unfortunately I can't really see that changing anytime soon. I had this grand idea for grass generation, spent quite a bit of time on it but it ended up being way too complicated. The GUI implementation ended up being a nightmare and the actual generation performance was shocking so I had to roll it all back and haven't had time to work on it again.

If you need help you're better off emailing me at tim@bovinelabs.com. I still get quite a few email requests for support which I reply to as soon as possible.

24. kerryenfinger

kerryenfinger

I just purchased ProWorld. I wanted to use it for my existing terrain. Is it possible to import an existing terrain for use in ProWorld?

25. Centripetal

Centripetal

I used the default Mountain scene to create a 7 by 7 grid of terrains. However, I noticed that none of the terrains generated have a terrain collider script attached to them, and the terrain data files are no where visible in the project or Windows Explorer. Where is the terrain data saved?

26. Centripetal

Centripetal

Oh, is it saved in the scene file? This is unfortunately not accessible to the terrain collider script, which negates the whole point of having the terrain (falling through it is not fun).

27. GijsP

GijsP

Hey Tertle,

I’m interested in buying ProWorld but I have a few questions:

1. Is it possible to have biomes that have different textures, trees etc.? (not a big issue but it would be a nice addon)
    2. Can I randomly generate objects on the terrain, like a house(of course with scripts attached)?
    3. Can you save terrain/object data so that for example: If the player opens the house door and walks away, comes back later, will the door still be open, and the terrain the same?
    4. Can I save the terrain including for example: the house with maybe, it’s door open So that the player can later return to their world?

A lot of questions but I hope you can answer them!

Thanks in advance,

Gijs

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  28. pictoo

pictoo

Hi Tertle.

Thats what it should do.

I've got many errors while running Proworld.
    No problem to generate a single terrain with your tools, but, when I try to generate neighbours or a complete world, it does not work.

I need help.
    Kind regards.

Attached Files:

29. inthemilkywat

inthemilkywat

Has anyone tested this on mobile devices?

30. MrFoamy

MrFoamy

I found a bug with the world builder, but it looks like it's due to unity updates changing behaviour. The issue is that often when destroying terrains that are not needed, the editor or a build simply crashes. It took me quite a while to hunt down the issue but I think I solved it:

The thread with the solution is here: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/211251-Unity-4-3-Crashes-when-Destroying-Terrain

I dug through the code and have implemented a fix that I believe works to the "RemoveTerrain()" function, although I have not had time to extensively test it, I haven't had the crash since while stress testing the world builder.

Here's the relevant script with the fix applied, and commented:

View attachment $Manager.cs

To apply it you just need to paste that over the existing Manager.cs in "\ProWorld\Scripts\Worker".

31. tertle

tertle

Hi thanks for the information MrFoamy. I'll have a look at it and your fix and see about posting a new build.

32. MrFoamy

MrFoamy

33. Daniko

Daniko

I get this error when trying to import ProWorld to my project.

Assets/ProWorld/Editor/Util/FileOperations.cs(15,38): error CS0433: The imported type `Ionic.Zip.ZipFile' is defined multiple times

34. lebo47

lebo47

We would also very much like to see export to mesh or T4M.

Question - would this plug in allow you to make a procedurally generated underwater terrain with depth? And above water features (like some islands and sky above water)

thx

Mike

35. Imillionaire

Imillionaire

Im getting an issue when creating multiple terrain, they dont have colliders. what do i do?
    Also im unable to import heightmaps. the dialog box where u can noramally click on it, and select your image doesnt appear. and is just a blank space.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  36. joshuablue

joshuablue

I'm working with Real-Time Terrain generation and my player falls through the world before the terrain is generated. I'm trying to subscribe to the event handler for when the terrain is done generating. In the Manager.cs there are these events:

public event TerrainHandler TerrainGenerated;
    public event LoadedHandler SetGenerated;
    public event FirstHandler FirstLoad;

It looks as though I need to get an instance of WorldBuilder to be able to call GetManager(), but I'm not sure where to find the worldbuilder object. I saw a comment in an example file that said:

// Attach this class to the object that contains your worldbuilder

But being as I'm running real-time terrain there's no terrain object to attach it to. What do I attach it to that has access to world builder? I tried to add it to a platform I was standing on until the world finished generating but my instance is always null. Here's the code I'm working with.
    using UnityEngine;
    using System.Collections;
    using System.Collections.Generic;
    using ProWorldSDK;

[RequireComponent(typeof(WorldBuilder))]
    public class EventSubscribers : MonoBehaviour
    {
    private GameObject platform;

//called every frame
    void Update ()
    {
    platform = GameObject.Find("Platform");
    if (platform != null)
    {
    var worldBuilder = platform.GetComponent<WorldBuilder> ();
    if (worldBuilder != null)
    {
    var manager = worldBuilder.GetManager ();
    if (manager != null)
    {
    manager.SetGenerated += this.TerrainSetGenerated;

}​
    }​
    }​
    }

public void TerrainSetGenerated(List<WorldData> tw)
    {
    Debug.Log("TerrainSetGenerated called");​
    }​
    }

37. joshuablue

joshuablue

I figured it out. I just had to attach the script to the camera object.

38. RoyS

RoyS

Is falling thru the procedural terrain going to be fixed in the next upgrade or has this been abandoned?

39. NightmarexGR

NightmarexGR

Hello , before purchasing i have only 1 question
    does it support RTPv3 (Relief Terrain Pack v3.1) for the texturing ?

40. Makosai

Makosai

For those of you concerned with terrains not generating a collider, click an already made terrain and preview it. That already made terrain will overwrite it's terrain data upon preview. You can delete the terrain and make another one to repeat the process for a different coordinate. I'm going to look in the preview scripts to see if I can automate this. If I can, I'll post what I've obtained here for the rest of you. I'd advise someone else to do the same to fix this problem.