Search Unity

Prototyping in ARKit3 / AR Foundations 3.0

Discussion in 'AR' started by max_coding13, Oct 4, 2019.

1. max_coding13

max_coding13

I'm a bit confused as to what developers are currently doing to iterate and prototype their ARKit 3 app while building on ARFoundations 3.0.

As far as I can tell the ARKit Remote no longer works on AR Foundations 3.0, so are people really building their app, and then using Xcode to deploy onto their device Every. Time. They. Make. A. Change... ????
    That must be taking people forever to iterate on their ARKit apps, no? I want to get up a make a cup of tea every time I have to test something I've done.

Please let me know if I'm missing something here.

2. max_coding13

max_coding13

@Blarp sorry to ping you like this, but you seem quite active on this forum. I'm at a loss here - do you have any advise on workflow in ARKit without every change taking 2+ minutes to build and deploy? Any help would be much appreciated.

Blarp likes this.
  3. Numa

Numa

That's just how it is unfortunately. Even when the Remote is working, for some things you'll have to build over and over. Horrible I know... The only thing you can do in those cases besides spending 20k on an array of mac minis is to optimise your build times (fast computer, use assembly definitions, etc) and build "flow" (eg. find something productive to do while it's building..) Good luck, stay strong

4. max_coding13

max_coding13

Well, I appreciate the response. I'll just have to tweak my expectations then. Though, to be honest that sounds fairly dreadful over the course of a full development cycle. I guess the trick will be to test as much "business logic" in the scene view during Play, before having to test how it's actually functioning in full AR.

I hope Unity keeps working on this. This is pure science fiction, but going forward if Unity were able to output a .reality file then we could Reality Composer on ios13 as a platform to prototype our work.

5. TalespinJoe

TalespinJoe