Search Unity

Assets Prototype Ability System

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Pixelith, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Pixelith

Pixelith

This is no longer being worked on so I'm editing the posts to reflect that.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  2. Dorscherl

Dorscherl

Would you be willing to share your code?

3. Pixelith

Pixelith

Sorry, but I've lost this project awhile back. Most of what I was trying to make has been been obsolete by the new input system anyways. A modular system is complicated to make, and I've learned a lot since this was made. I could probably try to remake it one day but I have no need to right now.

4. Dorscherl

Dorscherl

Shame you edited the post. I did like your post as it was pretty insightful to how different ways of accomplishing a system. I am currently at a stand still trying to create a modular ability system with the possibility of it working with a finite state machine. It's a lot to deal with but I am hoping that if I can get it done right, it will save me in the long run

5. Pixelith

Pixelith

I based it on Opsive's system if you need a reference to try and help with it. I essentially had a base ability class that I used for other basic ability types. Then if I needed something specific, I could make it inherit the ability class as well and it would work. Each ability had something that said what button activated it, and what blocked it from working. The characters script simply detected which button was pressed and how, then activated the corresponding scripts if the conditions were met. This is pretty easy to accomplish now with the 2019 input system.

A good video that actually shows a similar structure to my system is here