Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

proTile Map Editor 2 - Powerful tile based map editor + runtime support

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by proandrius, Mar 17, 2015.

1. proandrius

proandrius

Unity Technologies

Hello all

I want to announce the major proTile Map Editor 2 release is now live on the Asset Store.

Video Presentation (better to watch on youtube with fullscreen and 1080px60)

Screen Shots

Main Features
    - Different brushes - mass placement, all snap, paint.
    - Objects of any size - snap any tiles anywhere.
    - Runtime support - Create runtime building games, full API for customisation.
    - Tile-Connections - connect roads, walls and similar automatically.
    - Custom Patterns - build once, place multiple times.
    - Performance and size optimizations - combines meshes, reduces size for you.
    - Layers - will help you to manage your maps.
    - Easy to load and use - load maps in the editor, at runtime or stream dynamically.
    - Procedural support - generate maps from code.
    - Tile randomizer - Auto tile and rotation randomization.
    - Different camera setups - Fits different 3D/2D type of games.
    - Editor for easy tile setup - categorise your tiles.
    - All platform support.
    - Open source, examples, documentation and much more!
    -
    Additional release notes.
    (Supports Unity 4.6+ and Unity 5)

Link to the Asset Store: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/11698

Enjoy. :)

Also I want to thank you all the beta group that helped this release happen.

Comments are welcome.

2. thedreamer

thedreamer

I hear that proTile Map Editor have problem about placing big size scale building
    v2.0... Is this problem will be solved?

and can V 2.0 use with Unity Terrain system or TerrainComposer?

3. proandrius

proandrius

Unity Technologies

1. There are some improvements for more big and more weird objects and cases in general but I've never head people having problem when placing big size scale buildings. Usually it might be something really specific and depends on how the tile is created.

2. For Runtime you can choose the main platform to start building, so it can be anything, including terrain - as long as it has collider. As for the offline editor, you can change grid object to be terrain as well. I've seen people use this way. The main thing that it can be anything as long as it has collider.

4. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

There are two buildings. Building A, and Building B. Building B is shaped and sized differently than Building A.
    Due to a certain in-game event I want Building A to merge into Building B.
    Could this be done procedurally in a running game?

5. proandrius

proandrius

Unity Technologies

Hi, what do you mean by "merge into building B"? I'm kinda not sure. I mean all the objects are dynamic while generating procedurally unless you call Batch function to combine meshes for performance. So you can do with objects anything you want either before batching them or you can UnBatch them and do something with them and then Batch again.

6. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

Hello, by merge I mean Building B and Building A are moved to the same physical space (on each other, or intersecting each other), but since the size and shape of the two buildings are different Building A and Building B become a new building (Building AB). Building AB is a combination, with a new size and shape) of A and B

7. proandrius

proandrius

Unity Technologies

You can use Unity LOD system for that (if the shape depends on distance) or you can change and handle that yourself.

8. proandrius

proandrius

Unity Technologies

Update
    • Version 2.05 update with some small API, optimization improvements and new extra examples will be soon on the Asset Store.
    • Also I'm working on some other features and improvements for v2.1 and v2.2 already. That means that I'm still looking for people that are interested in beta and want to have the latest product right away.

9. RobertOne

RobertOne

cant wait to spent some time working with that :)
    i just saw in the video that you are using three fingers to scroll on a ipad which is a little bit.. i would say unusual in my opinion?
    do you think a more "clash of clans" like scrolling with one finger is more intuitive? like scroll with one finger and when your finger is on a placeable object, you drag the building and can not scroll anymore until your finger is not on the placable building anymore?

10. proandrius

proandrius

Unity Technologies

Hi, thanks! You can create any controls you want. These are just examples I've made to show how it works. Whole Runtime API is exposed so you can customize for your project however you want. :)

RobertOne likes this.
  11. proandrius

proandrius

Unity Technologies

Released Update v2.05
    • Propper undo functionality.
    • Few updates in examples.
    • New shortcuts.
    • Minor improvements.

12. bitwise2342

bitwise2342

Very impresive. Just bought it and I really like the runtime features. Good work!

proandrius likes this.
  13. zenGarden

zenGarden

Could you please provide some example maps to test ?
    Some map showing streaming on a big detailled map , and perhaps another static big map with player and some characters following the player.
    I'm not sure about performance if your asset without any demo t oplay or download and test on my computer.

14. proandrius

proandrius

Unity Technologies

Hi, sorry for the late reply. :) Unfortunately I can't send you any examples with Unity files because I would have to send you proTile Map Editor engine as well. The best I can offer is maybe some runtime examples in webplayer or smth. :)

15. zenGarden

zenGarden

Is not final level transformed to meshes and dropping ProTile data ? Is there some option for that Like ProBuilder can do ?

Yes, some small map example and another big map example using your streaming system, i would like to see how it can run , if you can display frame rate using something lile FPSCounter from the asset store it would be great.

16. dkoontz

dkoontz

Is there a mode that prevents placing overlapping tiles? I have ground tiles that are 4x4 units and it's pretty easy to place one slightly overlapping another when I'm filling in an area. I don't see any option to change the grid size.

17. proandrius

proandrius

Unity Technologies

Yes you can check for overlapping tiles, there is setting in Options when proTileMapEditor is running. As for grid size, you can change it from script but I don't suggest because it might break stuff.

For more options and stuff see this:

18. proandrius

proandrius

Unity Technologies

19. zenGarden

zenGarden

That's strange advertising to say : Buy my product and have just a "high CHANCE" to win another product. What is the chance factor ? We are not dumb buyers i think :rolleyes:
    And there is better and free voxel tool like MagicaVoxel.

20. proandrius

proandrius

Unity Technologies

High chance is high. So far everyone got it. :)

And voxel engine is totally different than my tool we are not really competitors, maybe in a very small way.

21. zenGarden

zenGarden

That's strange there is no webplayer demos.

22. proandrius

proandrius

Unity Technologies

Yeah, I'm working on them. Since Runtime support was introduced not that while ago and I want them to look good which takes time. :) Also from video you can see lots of functionality and how it works.

zenGarden likes this.
  23. digiross

digiross

Could I create a terrain in say World Composer and then use ProTile 2 to place the buildings, roads, trees, etc.? Basically I don't want a flat landscape but something that looks good and natural. Thoughts?

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  24. proandrius

proandrius

Unity Technologies

You can use terrain (or any other kind of mesh, it just has to have collider). For offline editor you just replace the Grid prefab for Runtime there is a field where you can select initial Platform to build. The only thing I'm not sure is how rotation will work depending on the landscape angle but I've seen some people with some additional calculations did it very well and use proTile Map Editor for different landscapes for building a map. I could look into that if you encounter some problems. I will investigate it more and it sounds like a good feature to have full support for it with some additional variations and settings. Thanks!

25. digiross

digiross

Thanks for the speedy reply and such a great asset. Come payday I'll gladly purchase.

26. proandrius

proandrius

Unity Technologies

Hi thanks! Just write me an email when you get it and if you have some questions adding that additional functionality.

27. zenGarden

zenGarden

About collision and mesh optimisations , it is some vertex welding or some collision volumes optimisations ?

28. proandrius

proandrius

Unity Technologies

I do some omptimization in that regard automatically but not much because it's very easy to break UVs, meshes and stuff. I'm actually working on a tool where you can do more of these things and you have more control of it.

29. proandrius

proandrius

Unity Technologies

I will be collecting a new beta group for upcoming updates in couple of weeks. Let me know if you are interested and send me IM with your invoice number.

PS: All people from previous betas will be included automatically. :)

30. Gamingbir

Gamingbir

Hello sir is it possible to make maps like this using
    proTile Map Editor 2

Example:

1)

2)

thanks!

31. proandrius

proandrius

Unity Technologies

Hi, Yes. :) Well I'm not completely sure how do they did these maps in these videos but seems very standard.

32. Gamingbir

Gamingbir

Can you show an example of making 2D tiles with kenny assets or something? Like only maximum 1 minute it will take for ya. Thanks. And if you could find out how that would be awesome.

33. proandrius

proandrius

Unity Technologies

Hi, I'm a little bit on vacation and don't have my instruments with me but you should watch the video it shows pretty clearly how everything works and what you can do. I will make some examples when I come back. Sorry! :)

34. blattie

blattie

Hello there,

We are currently comparing different runtime map editors for Unity and came across your solution.
    We have a few questions before buying to see if your product fits our needs.
    How does the asset saves the levels ? We want to allow players to share their creations with their friends. It seems that our server only supports text format, but we could dig more into that matter if we knew how the maps are saved/loaded and the file type/content type in your asset.

Thanks a lot,
    - Sam :)

35. proandrius

proandrius

Unity Technologies

I've just replied to you in the email, but I will reply here as well:

proTileMapEditor saves files to StreamingAssets/uteMaps folder as raw text files. So you can easily read them and upload to the server. When you call SaveMap(“mapname”); for Runtime it just saves a file in StreamingAssets/uteMaps/mapname.txt so you can also e.g.: Download map from server, write it into that folder and call LoadMap(“mapname”); Which is basically filename. :)

36. blattie

blattie

Thanks a lot :D

37. Gamingbir

Gamingbir

I am not sure if i can use the tile map to make realistic map in isometric formal. I in-boxed you.

38. SkullKing

SkullKing

I am considering buying this package and would like to make a few questions before buying, I asked some of this on the site, but decided to make a more structured post here now that I am considering the purchase more seriously.

1: All the multi-floor structures in the video have each floor as a single tile. Is there an easy way to make multiple floor structures or put ceilings on structures built like the part of the demo that shows the building of house´s interior?

2: if I make maps with a given tile, and later modify the tile, will changes propagate to the maps or will I have to remake the maps?

3:Some of my structures have a different tile for the top and /or bottom (e.g.: a Fortified wall that is thicker at the bottom, and has spear points at the top, with a smany midle tiles a snecessary to get the desired height). When mass placing, is it possible to define boton and top tiles?

4 When using the tool where the user defines curves and connections before drawing a wall, is it possible to define internal and external edges? Some of my walls have different textures or geometry on the inside and the outside.

5 when using the mas placement tools, either in an area, or when doing walls/roads, is there a way to input multiple possible tile for each and have it be selected randomly according to user set weight(e.g. to avoid repetition I have a few different tiles that are structurally redundant, but look different)? If not are all the scripts in C#? How difficult would it be to implement it myself? (e.g.:Can I just copy the lines of code for tile input save them in an array, and put a few extra lines to check a random variable before placing?)

6 I see that the user can change the size of the grid, can the user also rotate the grid? (e.g. build a house, than choose another plot , rotate the grid and build a house with the rotated grid) This would be very useful to make some placements look more haphazard/natural, and to make corridor or roads at 45 degrees (and them connect them with a few transition pieces manualy placed) kinda like this: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-AfmCM2-osQg/UXBgWgU89mI/AAAAAAAAAbE/MjGPnQ03CCc/s640/webSnapRefDiagram.jpg

Thank you for your time

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
    proandrius likes this.
  39. adampound

adampound

Great Asset. How do I load map from code behind? If tried the following and it doesnt work

Code (CSharp):
    1. uteMapLoader mloader = GetComponent<uteMapLoader>();
    2.         mloader.mapName = "mapname";
    3.         mloader.LoadMap();

proandrius likes this.
  40. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

I bought this asset yesterday and have been playing with it today, I built and ran the RuntimeExample1 scene on my iOS device and everything worked except the camera controls? e.g when I try the pinch gesture the camera does not zoom, or when I drag one finger the camera does not rotate, two finger drag does not pan the view either, what am I doing wrong? apart from this the tool seems to be exactly what I am looking for... :)

proandrius likes this.
  41. Whyhurry

Whyhurry

I just bought this map editor today and it's an awesome tool!

I made a map and load it in editor scene. I want some help about what should I work from there if I want to add a tile based navigation to my map? Is there any grid I can generate from the map editor to cover my terrain?

-- Kevin

proandrius likes this.
  42. Shaun_Summer

Shaun_Summer

Hello!
    Recently bought the asset, really enjoying it! I plan on using it for my client to develop a run-time building program for a game. Basically users will draw there homes using the features provided by your assets but I need a way to fully detect each room. For example if a user creates a room and all the walls touch making it enclosed the game will tell the user this and allow them to name the room. From this the user would see the full rooms dimensions and be able to adjust the room accordingly. Just thought I would see if you had any thoughts on this or if you could point me in the right direction.
    Thanks and have a great day!
    Kind regards,
    Shaun.

proandrius likes this.
  43. Rick-

Rick-

Is it possible to adjust the 'cell size' of the grid?
    Let's say if i'm using tiles of a specific size and i want to paint the tiles in 2x2m cells,is it possible?

proandrius likes this.
  44. Rod-Galvao

Rod-Galvao

Hi Andrius,

Some questions:

1. Is it a voxel solution?

2. I wonder if it's easy to adapt proTile Map to produce terrains like these:

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/34775

I mean, irregular terrains with faceted style that one can still edit.
    It would be necessary to displace some vertices (those without constructions on top) and remove smoothing for flat shading.
    Is that hard to adapt in your solution?

Regards,
    R.

proandrius likes this.
  45. Rod-Galvao

Rod-Galvao

Why some assets get darker than others? (they all have the same shader)
    How do we refresh the respective asset icon? (sometimes it doesn't refresh the new textures)

upload_2015-10-12_16-14-50.png

Even when they all are looking similar, the editor is showing them darker than the really are:

upload_2015-10-12_16-22-48.png

Regards,
    R.

Attached Files:

proandrius likes this.
  46. Rod-Galvao

Rod-Galvao

Anybody home?

proandrius likes this.
  47. gekidoslair

gekidoslair

For runtime support, how do we flag certain areas of the map to be editable and others not?

Working on a game that has the player base (editable) and a general surrounding area (which should not be editable) - I'm hoping to use protile just for the player base areas of the map, and do 'normal' unity scenes for the rest of the map if possible. Is this kind of thing doable?

Alternately, if we need to have the whole scene created in protile, then being able to flag certain areas of the map to be editable, and others 'locked' would also potentially work.

Ideas?

proandrius likes this.
  48. proandrius

proandrius

Unity Technologies

Hi,

You need to select map in the Component before loading it. If you want to define map at Runtime, I suggest just creating a different prefabs with selected maps and then just load these prefabs and use LoadMap();.

It should just work fine. :)

49. proandrius

proandrius

Unity Technologies

Hi,

Yeah controls in that example are not well. I’m working on new and better examplesI, but for camera control example I guess you will have to do some changes. :)

50. proandrius

proandrius

Unity Technologies

Hi,

You can bake Unity Navigation Mesh.

As for grid, all the cells are the same size (and if your tiles are same size) you kinda have grid already. You can uncheck the “remove left overs” and it will leave all the map data (without renderers). :)