Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Protecting an asset bundle through per-seat licenses

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by worldcreator3d, Sep 28, 2015.

1. worldcreator3d

worldcreator3d

Hello everybody,

there is something about asset store licenses that I do not really understand - pretty sure someone asked about it previously but I cannot find anything on the forums.

Let's say I purchase an asset that requires a single per-seat license. Downloading and installing that asset means that all content is imported into my project. Now my question is, how is it ensured that I do not assemble that package to my own custom one and give it away to friends that can use it freely?

I can see that there is a license overview of each asset that I purchased. But how are those assets protected? Is there a way to protect the entire package?

Now the reasons why I am asking is the following. We have developed a nice asset which is a plugin for Unity. And of course I want to make sure by code that people who purchased it are not able to give it away so that others can use it for free. I know a lot mechanism to make it "secure" but is there a way Unity offers? Like the Steam secure stuff maybe? Sadly I was not able to find anything in the Unity docs.

I know that it is not possible to secure anything 100% but maybe there is a Unity service I can ask through code if the current logged in user has the rights to use my assetbundle - simply said, it should not be that easy for specific human kind ;) - maybe someone already has some experience here and would like to share it.

Hope you understand what I am asking for, big thanks in advance for any useful help, best,
    Stefan

2. blizzy

blizzy

I don't think there is any protection at all. In the end, Unity doesn't know where the assets in your project came from.

3. worldcreator3d

worldcreator3d

OK ... that sounds a little frustrating. I thought Unity has some kind of service to which I can connect to check whether the currently logged in user has a valid license for the asset bundle he is using. I mean, why should they have a per-seat license for asset bundles if there is no protection at all (even a very simple one) ...

Thanks for your reply,
    Stefan