Search Unity

Protecting an asset bundle through per-seat licenses

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by nanthrox, Sep 28, 2015.

1. nanthrox

nanthrox

Hello everybody,

there is something about asset store licenses that I do not really understand - pretty sure someone asked about it previously but I cannot find anything on the forums.

Let's say I purchase an asset that requires a single per-seat license. Downloading and installing that asset means that all content is imported into my project. Now my question is, how is it ensured that I do not assemble that package to my own custom one and give it away to friends that can use it freely?

I can see that there is a license overview of each asset that I purchased. But how are those assets protected? Is there a way to protect the entire package?

Now the reasons why I am asking is the following. We have developed a nice asset which is a plugin for Unity. And of course I want to make sure by code that people who purchased it are not able to give it away so that others can use it for free. I know a lot mechanism to make it "secure" but is there a way Unity offers? Like the Steam secure stuff maybe? Sadly I was not able to find anything in the Unity docs.

I know that it is not possible to secure anything 100% but maybe there is a Unity service I can ask through code if the current logged in user has the rights to use my assetbundle - simply said, it should not be that easy for specific human kind ;) - maybe someone already has some experience here and would like to share it.

Hope you understand what I am asking for, big thanks in advance for any useful help, best,
    Stefan

2. blizzy

blizzy

I don't think there is any protection at all. In the end, Unity doesn't know where the assets in your project came from.

3. nanthrox

nanthrox

OK ... that sounds a little frustrating. I thought Unity has some kind of service to which I can connect to check whether the currently logged in user has a valid license for the asset bundle he is using. I mean, why should they have a per-seat license for asset bundles if there is no protection at all (even a very simple one) ...

Thanks for your reply,
    Stefan

unityunity