Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Proper Workflow for Sharing MacOS games?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Dellic, Apr 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dellic

Dellic

I am trying to build for Mac on Windows. I have managed to get it running on my Mac by unzipping the file and running the chmod 777 from the terminal. That is great. However, I then reupload it to google drive, dropbox, or weTransfer (as a zipped file) and attempt to share the build. I then download the file on another Mac and get told that the file is damaged and should be removed. I have even uploaded it, downloaded it on the same Mac, and tried opening it, to no avail. Uploading to a cloud service seems to be causing the issue - perhaps with permissions? Any recommendations on the proper workflow for sharing files on Mac OS?

Nith666 likes this.
  2. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

Last I checked that wasn't possible... perhaps my information is out of date?

Are you talking about running the Windows .EXE build on Mac? That's only gonna happen if you install a suitable version of Windows on your Mac.

Or are you talking about sharing the project itself? Just use source control, something like git: you can push/pull it to services like github or bitbucket or gitlab, or push it to an external drive.

3. Dellic

Dellic

I am able to make a build for Mac on Windows, there are build extensions available when installing newer versions of Unity that enable this build option.

no Chmod is used to change permissions on files on Linux / Mac.

I am just hoping to be able to share the final game for Mac through Google Drive. It works perfectly for Windows.

4. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

I always make a DMG to distribute, but then again, I'm running on Mac... I think a DMG preserves whatever mojo magic Mac needs for an "app," which is not just an exe and some data. Here's my incantation:

echo Making DMG file...
    echo
    hdiutil create ~/builds/kurtmaster2d/KurtMaster2D.dmg -srcfolder ./KurtMaster2D/ -ov
    open ~/builds/kurtmaster2d

Dunno if
    hdiutil
    exists in Windows form.

midsummer and Joe-Censored like this.
  5. stfunity

stfunity

A variation of this worked for me.
    hdiutil create -volname DemoMac -srcfolder /Users/me/Desktop/Demo3/ -ov DemoMac.dmg
    But it dumps into my user root path. Couldn't get that ./ you used to work. Kept throwing argument errors.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.